Biosludge Compost

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

Hey everyone,

This was mentioned in a previous thread I started, but I wanted more info on it.

Biosludge compost (compost made from seweage)....Is this good for your flowers?

I will be making two new large beds this weekend, one for irises the other for a hodgepodge of flowers. I was calling around trying to find places that sold leaf compost. They are all farther away then I would like to travel and cost money (a cheap $14). However, I called the waste plant that is 5 minutes away. They will give this away for free!!! However, are only open M-F.

I am assuming that this will be great for my flowers....however, if it is tilled into my soil Monday then I plant my irises on Monday will it be ok? I dont have to let it sit before planting?

I have a large shipment of Irises from Schreiners coming Monday.

Also, my guess is don't use biosludge compost on veggies or anything for human consumption?

Thanks,
Danielle

Lebanon, OR

remember this might be too high in nitrogen. Nitrogen should be the lowest number

I pay 22.00 a yard for compost every year and go thru about 20 yards a season. I would check to see the numbers.

D

South Hamilton, MA

It will make irises grow, a friend used it. He did have troubles with rot, however. If you use it, I would suggest a minimum application, adding garden soil or sand?

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

That is a good point. I have decided to bypass getting it. Plus, I have a little one who loves to dig with me and get in the "dirt". Even though it is supposed to be bacteria free I still dont feel safe with my daughter in it.

I am planning on going to get some leaf mulch today. I have to drive a half hour to get it, but so be it.

Thanks,
Danielle

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Danielle, Does your community have a free leaf mold site? All of the townships around here have drop off spots for logs and branches and leaves. The townships picks up leaves here. The wood and branches are chipped into mulch and the leaves are composted. Try looking at the websites for your and surrounding communities. I use about 20 pickup fulls of the free leaf mold every year.

I treat my beds twice a year with Milorganite, which is dried treated Human Waste. I also mix 2 cups of it into every wheel barrow full of planting soil. It is odorless. I've never had any ill effects from it. It has the added advantage of being a critter repellant. I've read that some of the liquid waste from the treatment plants can still be relatively hot and may burn plants. Milorganite is available from Home Depot costing anywhere from $7 to $11 for a 36 lb bag. It can also be purchased in bulk from a distributor much cheaper. Milwaukee Metropolitan Sewage District has been selling this product for agricultural use for over 80 years. N-P-K = 5-2-4.

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

Its something to look into to see if they have the leaf compost available in my town? I know that the garbage truck wont pick up any yard trash at all. Maybe they send someone else around to pick up any leaves, etc. They have just started pretty strict regulations here about what you can put in your trash bags. Pretty much you cant put anything but food and paper products.

I couldnt wait to get compost and picked some up yesterday. I will look into if my town offers it though. DH and I will be making the two new beds today. Plus, I have some planting to do. I found a really great landscape supply company that offers pretty much anything for very good prices. They are pretty much the only ones around that offer leaf compost. They also sell a ton of different mulches, and topsoil.

Thanks,
Danielle

South Hamilton, MA

It will take awhile of course, but out compost is our own leaves. Either a pile somewhere on your property of a compost bin can be used. Next yr., all mine?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.