After Midnight's Baby

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Here's a seedling that came from planting "After Midnight" seeds. These look pretty close to the original.

Thumbnail by echinaceamaniac
Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Nice. It sure does look like After Midnight. Does it have a dark stem also?

It has dark stems but they are a little lighter. It was free though. Lol.

Ooh, that's a good price. My "After Midnight" looked very very dead all spring and summer and then decided to grow and bloom in the fall. It was only a few blooms. Nothing overwhelming. There are a couple of newer varieties that seem to be good healthy growers so far for me. They are "Hot Lava" and "Coral Reef". I have several of each and they have grown/filled in nicely from plug stage.

Hot Lava, Firebird and Milkshake are growing well her.

Hot Papaya is a good plant. All 3 of mine are doing well.

Marmalade isn't growing as well but that could have something to do with the weather.

I received my "Marmalade" a couple of weeks ago. It looked pretty crappy when I received it and much of the foliage whithered up and turned brown. Since then it has made a comeback with quite a bit of new growth. Here's what its looking like.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

Mine did the same thing, Jon. I really think it's going to be a good plant though.

I hope so. I wasn't too happy when I received it but its ok now.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Karen, I have that on my list of seeds I want to order. Did you wintersow yours from seed? Have any left?

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

After midnight is still probably my favorite coneflower. I have harvest sun, summer sky, kim's knees, kims mophead, baby swan, alba, tomato soup, tiki flower and one or two other, but I just love after midnight.

Can I divide after midnight? I've never divided a coneflower. Most of the time, I'm pulling excess seedlings.

Thumbnail by pennefeather

Yes, you can divide after midnight, but it's usually easier to do it during the daylight hours.

I know you can divide them, but I've never tried to. Also wondering if this would be the right time of the year to do so.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Clint, did you order that starter plant or have it last year and gathered the seeds and WS it this year? Beautiful! Mind sharing where you like to order euchineaceas from?

I think I've had the original plant for about 4 years. I saved seeds about 3 years ago. I didn't get good germination from them, but the few that did were compact and had the nice colors.

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

This is encouraging, I got after midnight but it's being drowned out by other plant, it's new , I need to go check on it and make sure it's getting enough sun.

I love the coloring of this one, andnice to see it's seedling looking alot like the parent.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.