ID please

Huffman, TX(Zone 9a)

I found this JM while on vacation the lable says "Glow Ember 3" but when I look in the plant file I don't find it anywhere the leaves are tiny and lacey. Just thought someone here might help me out

Thumbnail by rucky
Huffman, TX(Zone 9a)

Heres another veiw

Thumbnail by rucky
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

rucky that is not glowing embers - mislabled for sure - still looks like a nice one though - sorry can't help with an id

looks like it is not a weeping one right?

Huffman, TX(Zone 9a)

Not yet it don't appear to be a weeper I have it in a shaded hoop house with aluminum shade cloth so that might have something to do with the color I am still learning.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

yes that would keep it green - i have a glowing embers from davidsans so i know yours it not the one. still the one you have is very nice might be worth calling the nursery and ask them. i would want to know at least what it is.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I don't know what it is either. Just a suggestion though. When you take it out of the shade cloth be sure and do it gradually, especially if it's next spring. Moving it too quickly into too much sun can shock them something terrible.

Huffman, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you for your suggestions I will be in the area where I bought it and will touch bases with them also I will move it gradually to the sun Because I plan to plant it in the spring. Its a beutiful tree and has an allmost bonsai look to it. thanks again.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

It's lovely. Enjoy!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I wonder if that is either a Seiryu http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/85065/ or a Viridis http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55719/ ?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

viridis weeps will have to look closer at the other - the nursery should know though since they sold it and it was so mis-labeled.

Huffman, TX(Zone 9a)

It does look like the Seiryu Sox thank you I believe that is it It doesn't look like it weeps so I think it most resembles the Seiryu thank you all very much..rucky

Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

You will never know for sure except no it ain't a GE... if it is a Sieryu it will assume an upright non weeping form if it weeps it ain't..but whatever you can't ethically call it anything cause you can never definitely ID it .. that really means nothing... enjoy it and give it a one of your kids or pets name . Davidsan

This message was edited Oct 24, 2009 9:03 PM

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

myersphcf - the fall color on the Acer palmatum 'Stella Rosa" I got from Davidsan's is truely stunning. It's a beautiful specimen. Put out quite a bit of new growth too - nearly 14".

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

great snapple now i have to check out stella rosa :)

Huffman, TX(Zone 9a)

Well I'm in Georgia where I bought the tree and they still say without a doubt it's" Glowing Embers 3 "and they had more of the one I bought and several others this is a very large Nursery and very well known in this area its called "Southern Landscapes".I didn't buy anymore JM but did get a great deal on a Desert Rose, Staghorn Fern,and a very nise Bonsai Ficus. I started working the JM towards the sunlight before I left home and the leaves did take on a redder tone. Whatever it is its a beutiful tree.Heading home later today just came here for Grandaughters fifth birthday.

Milford, DE

First off Glowing Embers is a palmatum.

Second the "WORLD CHECKLIST OF MAPLE CULTIVAR NAMES" does not list
"Glowing Embers 3".

Something is not right here. Many times growers will lose labels and give the plant a totaly different name inorder to sell the product.

If they are so sure of the plant they will be able to tell you where the plant came from and who introduced the plant to the trade.

I agree with David, give it a name of a loved one. No telling what the variety would be, but it can be narrowed down if it is an upright dissectum.

Dave

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.