MORE RAIN !!!!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

Its still raining and I still have so much to do !!!! I hope its not raining On Tuesday so I can finish the gardens . And I still have peonys comming I realy don't want to be digging in the rain (but I will) hows your fall going for you ???? and why do we wait till the bitter end be for we cut down the flower beds ?? We are in for freezing weather next week so I guess I better get a move on ;0( have a great day!!!
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Gloria,

It's raining here in AuGres as well. We're going to be working inside the pole barn today cleaning it out so we can get our pontoon boat in there. When we moved up here I learned pretty quick that winter comes on very suddenly and to start cleaning things up in September. There is so much to do. You really have to take advantage of every decent day out there. We've got the veggie garden spot done but I still have my flower bed to cut down and mulch for winter. I downsized the area I devote to flowers when we moved here just so I could manage it better. I made up a shortcut to cleaning out flower beds. I have DH weed whack it all down first then we rake it out and put it into the RTV with the dump bed and dump it on the compost pile. It didn't hurt the perennials at all and it went real fast that way. :) I used to painstakenly hand cut down each flower and it would take me 4 hours to do one bed. Now we can get it done in about an hour. :) Whack, rake, then blanket in chopped leaves. I'm all for easy and fast. ha ha ha

Thanks for the tip that we're going into freezing weather. Guess we better move a little faster. Don't want to be out there when it's freezing.

Brenda

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

crappy fall weather here!! i hate fall more than any season-death n gloom!!!
I dont have time to cut anything back till spring!!!

i have peonys coming and plugs!!! not sure what i will do with the plugz!!!
i have all the decorations to put away-but the GH needs a new roof b4 that will happen
I got the pool vacummed yesterday so we can put it away(whaaan)for winter-guess i have to admit
summer is over!!!

I have several 5ft trees to dig and relocate too!-indian summer i need you!

snow to the west of us..............! rain to the east.........!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey Dori,
I see you are into the fall RUSH!! I have been so busy this summer with work that I have had very little time for gardening. Well you can guess i am up to my eyeballs in WEEDS!
So i get the plea for the Indian summer.....NOT!
I just heard snow showers are in the forecast for next week!!
UGH!
Oh well the end of gardening. Then i don't have to feel bad over what I did not get done.
How have you been?
Your son is back home to Michigan. How nice. And I hear you went to Dans. I wanted to go to see
Diamonds yard. I heard you can smell it a mile away!! From all the Brugs!!
Loretta said it was stunning.
Well just wanted to say Hi.
Julie

Bad Axe, Mich., FL(Zone 5a)

Been raining here all day. I'm sick of it. I am going to Birmingham to my daylily club potluck dinner and program tonight and won't get home until after 11 pm and then going to Lansing tomorrow for a family reunion. Good thing I don't mind driving, even in the rain.

I have been gradually putting things away for winter and got my trailer winterized. I'm sure the way things look that winter will be here a lot sooner that usual. The garden clean up will have to wait until spring.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

well I'm glad that I'm not the only one thats a little behind ;0)

I would love to go to Dan's to see his brugs this is my first year with them and its a crap shoot for me if they live I love the smell of them but there a bit over whelming in the house
Gloria

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

still cold but not as bad I got every thing cut down so now Its leaf time it took for ever to cut the Moon flower vines off the deck but they look so nice on the deck ;0)
Gloria

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

Hey Gloria do you bring the Brugs in to your home? Do you attempt to grow or dormant them??
Have you had success?
Hello Dorothian. I was at my sisters in Birmingham yesterday. Could have driven right by you!!!
Julie

Julie, that was last Friday. This coming Saturday I will be going to a different daylily club meeting in Mt Pleasant. It seems that everything is a 2 hr drive away, LOL.

Gloria, I have tried to overwinter brugs inside. You cut them back and don't let them dry out. Put them by a window and good luck.

Sometimes you can just take cuttings of your brugs and put in moist soil and put a plastic bag over to keep the humidity in. It's worth a try and you can get multiple plants that way. In Florida you just put the cutting into the ground and keep them watered.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

jazzy this is the first time I'v ever had brugs so I'm new at this ;0(
Dorothian thanks for the info may be you should take them on vacation with you to florida ;0) heck forget them take me!!!
Gloria

Fenton, MI(Zone 5b)

OH! I had about 20 and lost them all due to my inability to get them inside before the frost!!
JZ

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

lol i use to have bunches and i let them all DIE!

Just put them in the basement and water every now and then through the winter
in the spring throw them back outside and keep doing this till they are the size of Dan's(diamond123)
Then you will need a back brace or wheeled planters to lug them in and out! ;)

Mine were all 6inc cutting when i got them and put them in a glass of water in the
dark and with bottom heat-i was shocked when they grew!
They are pretty n smell great but i just down have the time and energy anymore!!

have fun!!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I don't have a basement or a garage or a greenhouse so I guess they will have to live ( or die ) in the house with me ;0)
Gloria

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Hey guys check out Dans(diamond 123)on the rose forum...he shows you how to transport your Brugs..you get to see some of his gardens too!!!

Gonna have a RU there in June,lots of fun..^_^

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

well an other Tuesday off and it has to rain DRAT now to plan B clean the house and hope the sun comes out to dry up all the rain RIGHT ;0(
Gloria

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I think I need to uncover the boat !!!!!!;0( and this is going to go on all DAY ????
Gloria

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I checked http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Default.aspx for the forecast for my zip code and the only day it's not going to rain is tomorrow (Saturday) morning and Sunday. All next week it's going to be rain till the weekend. On Halloween the 31st it will not rain and be in the low 50's for the kids and it won't rain on Sunday.

Thank goodness we've been plugging along with fall chores since September. We're still not done but I sure would hate to just now be starting on my leaves. This rain and wind has brought down most of the rest of them so tomorrow morning I'm going to attempt to get the rest up or Sunday if they're too wet. We'll see. We still have to move things around in the garage a bit to get our vehicles in there for winter but it shouldn't take too long to do that. I won't cover my roses up for another few weeks unless we get a bitter cold/snow blow in here. They are all ready to be covered. I always keep the big rocks I put on top behind the rosebushes so they're handy the next fall. Glad the flower and veggie gardens are put to bed. Still have to put fall fertilizer on the lawn around the house. WIsh we had got it down before this rain. WE'll be sure it's down this weekend for the next round of rain.

It is actually good to get a lot of rain going into winter. All the trees, shrubs, flowers and lawns get a good soaking drink before the ground freezes. It is kind of dreary to look outside though isn't it?
We got two barn kitties from a neighbor who dropped them off. Got them from somebody else. Two females. Both had fleas and worms and were really tiny. I would guess about 4 or 5 weeks old even though they said 6 weeks. I took them in to vet and got them wormed and they sprayed them with something to kill the fleas. They are in a big crate in the old barn. They are cute. Must go feed them. They are feeling better now, using the litter box and playful. They are Lucy and Ethyl. :) They will live out there with the chickens and chase the mice away. Must "kittie-proof" the barn today for when we decide they're big enough to release from their cage.

Brenda

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

im going to utica later today to meet up with my niece from TNN taking the kids to swim in the pool
Taking eltoro for me to drown in!! lol
so i dont care if it rains all day-but tomorrow im going to an auction in sagnasty and i hope the rains go
away! i will be in the house for the most part(hope)but there are some garden items i want too!!!

just be glad its not cold enough to turn it WHITE!!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

hope you have fun Dori ;0) I hope this rain lets up enough so I can plant my peonys after work tomarrow
How nice Brennda I like kittens but the little mister is not fond of them AT ALL ;0(
Gloria

Lincoln Park, MI(Zone 5a)

Gloria you can plant them in the rain,did mine I got today its good for them!

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

I will plant them to day rain or not ( hoping not) by the time I got home last night it was al most dark !! ;0)
Gloria

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

more rain!!! well at least every thing will be waterd in good for the winter ;0) but I still need to get the rest of the leaves up and mulch stuff may be next week???? have a great day and Dori get well soon Chicken soup and lots of fluids ;0)
Gloria

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.