Iris Planting Depth

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

Okay, I just read in the Garden Gate 108 Easy Going, Easy Growing Flowers mag that I recieved for signing up with DG that Bearded Irises in the deep south should be planted 4-6 inches deep.

Is that true? This doesn't include where I am in Zone 7A NC right?

I planted mine shallow with the their backs showing to the sun.

BTW, I am still waiting on my order from Schreiner's. I emailed them tonight to see where it was.
The rhizome left out of my order from SH says it was shipped, but UPS cant seem to track it. It is lost out there somewhere. I will have to call SH and UPS tomorrow to figure out what is going on. I will be making my new and first iris garden area Saturday, finally! Yay!

Thanks,
Danielle

Gainesville, TX

I have not heard that, that's really a lot. I think that sounds wrong. Too deep and they don't bloom well. They need sun exposure on the rhizs to gather food.

I live in hottern hell TX/OK. My iris bloom here from late March til mid May, depending on the bloom period of the different cultivars.

I plant mine with 1/3 of the top rhizome exposed. it gets really hot and dry here. I do supplement with an occasional watering. I have really sandy soil and the blowing winds cover mine deeper than I would like, I guess it may protect them somewhat, but after a while I am out scraping sands off the tops of the rhizs. I have way more trouble from rotting than I do with sun scald.

South Hamilton, MA

Someone is off on planting depth at the magazine. Rhizomes can burn if too hot but a little soil sprinkled on top will help, but not deep. Listen to our TX friends for advice.

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

I thought is sounded odd. I was just checking. Thanks guys!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.