moving my Rhodo

Leander, TX(Zone 8a)

I need to move my Rhodo from it's location now. Can I move it now or should I wait until Spring. I live in Tn zone 7
KK

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

It is a toss up, kountrykitchen. You are basically trying to choose from amongst two good times to transplant. I prefer to do it in the Fall as soon as the plant has gone dormant but before the ground freezes. The roots can then use winter to continue developing, albeit at a reduced rate. Water frequently in the mornings and keep an eye for the next 1-2 years. Most of the shallow roots are on the top 4" so try to move as much of a wet root ball as you can. Do not fertilize now. There are some problems with Fall Transplanting though. For one, you may loose the Spring 2010 bloomage. Or some of it. If freezing and thawing cycles are common where you live, fall transplanting can make the plant susceptible to frost heaving. If frost heave is common where you live then transplant in Spring instead. Make sure that the soil is as moist -but not wet- as practical. In dry winters when the soil does not freeze, check the soil moisture with a finger at a depth of 4". Maintain 3-4" of acidic mulch to feed, winter protect and keep the soil moist longer.

Leander, TX(Zone 8a)

thank you so much for the info luis_pr. Will surely help
And it is kountry KITTEN lol thanks
KK

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

OMG, sorry kountrykitten. Too early in the morning for me. I had just received a call from work and after it took care of the issue, I could not go back to sleep. I w-a-s sleepy but could not fall asleep because the dogs thought it was feeding time. There were tails awaggingh, pleas and moans, scratching near the collars, jumping on the bed, placing their big old noses on the edge of the bed while moaning and... get the picture? Hee hee hee. It was a conspiracy; two against one. So I got up and logged in to Daves hoping they would settle down as they usually ignore me when I am on the computer. I should have watched what I was typing! Lordy, lord. Have a great day, kountrykitten! Yes, I just got another phone call.... but this time I copy/pasted your name! :o)

This message was edited Oct 10, 2009 2:27 AM

Leander, TX(Zone 8a)

LOL that's OK Luis_pr I get the picture. I just got an 8 week old Australian Shepherd along with my year old schnauzer I absolutely get the picture. The puppy thinks 4:30 am is an invitation for her to wake me for breakfast, might just as well forget going back to sleep as the two dogs want to play so I let them.. I appreciate your help regardless what you call me lol. Have a good week.
KK

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.