Herb Guild Event Saturday in the Thumb

Lexington, MI(Zone 6a)

My herb guild, the Bluewater Shore Herb Guil, in celebration of National Herb Day, is presenting a "Thoroughly Minted Victorian Tea on Saturday, Oct. 10th from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. at St. Mary's Hall on M46 in Port Sanilac. (About 2 blocks from the light in Port Sanilac on M25, south side.)

Our speaker, Peppermint Jim Crosby from St. Johns, MI, is a knowledgeable, inspirational and entertaining speaker. You will learn all about the wonderful culinary and healing properties of mint and much more. Guild members will also be doing demonstrations on using herbs at home. Jim will have his wonderful mint oils, candies and products available. The guild will be displaying many of our herbal crafts and products to give you ideas for things you can do at home. Just in time to start thinking about Christmas.

Tickets will be available until Friday afternoon at: Noble, A Thyme to Blossom, and Lexington Gardens in Lexington; Croswell Greenhouse in Croswell; and Yankee Clipper in Port Sanilac. Otherwise you can still purchase tickets at the door. $8 for adults, $4 for children under 10.

We will be having an herbal "tea" buffet with lots of great food and drinks to enjoy.
If anyone is interested in the guild, we maintain the herb garden at the Sanilac County Historical Museum and meet the 3rd Wednesday of the month April-November at 7pm at Bark Shanty in Port Sanilac to study herbs and their uses.
Jeane

Thumbnail by JeaneTH
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

That sounds like a great lecture and presentation. I wish I could attend. Maybe others here will be able to. I love using herbs. Love the picture. Thanks for sharing. Let us know how it went.

Brenda

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

OH I wish I lived closer!
I would come for sure!
I wish we had some garden/herb groups around here
but they always seem to be in other areas. :(
Hope you have a great time.

Lexington, MI(Zone 6a)

Hi Brenda & Vicky, wish you could have come too. We had a great time. Jim is an inspirational speaker and teaches you all kinds of little known things about using mint oil. The Crosbys, Jim and his sister Linette have been waging a battle for the last three years to save their farm from foreclosure. It's been in their family for four generations. One of the oldest operating mint farms in the country. They had to move off the farm this summer but are still working on buying it back. Their spirits are indomitable. Their plight is close to my heart as my husband an I had a sheep farm not to farm from theirs in St. Johns while our children were growing up. We ended up selling out when we could no longer afford to sustain it. Anyone who wants to learn more about mint oil, help the Crosbys, etc. should check out their website at http://www.crosbymintfarm.com/ .

The picture in my original post was taken last fall when we held a sign dedication at the guild's herb garden at the Sanilac County Historical Museum honoring our founder Lila Baker (in the front). I'm the one in the middle in the back. Lila was an active member in many of the garden clubs in the thumb area for many years. She's moved away now and is going to be living between FL and in Ann Arbor. She's one of those truly beautiful people and a treat to know.

Vicky, the Herb Society of America had their national meeting at the Meijer garden last spring. They have a great herb garden at Meijer. There must be other herbies in your area. I have a friend who lives just south of Rockford and I know there's a garden club there.
Jeane

Thumbnail by JeaneTH
Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the info Jeane!
I will look into the Rockford garden club.
I sincerely hope everything works out for you and the Crosbys.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.