Recommendations for a low light indoor climber?

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Hello!

I would really appreciate some suggestions for a pretty indoor climbing or hanging vine. The tough part is, I want it in my living room, which only has west facing windows. The "lucky plant" would have to be able to tolerate relatively low/indirect light for most of the day. It would only get some direct light towards sunset. I also live in Rhode Island, zone 6... and with winter on the way, it's going to start getting dark here pretty fast and early.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I really want a great hanging plant for my living room. Something that isn't just an ordinary ivy... I wish it could be a jasmine or a passion flower - but I just don't think my windows get enough light for those lovelies.

Thanks for any ideas!

Rose

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Probably won't be able to find anything that flowers .. your best bet is to over plant what used to be called Pothos in a pot.

I have some that is growing on a table and it tolerates low light.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

I grew pothos as a vine before on a wall. It did well.
I have seen hoya grown that way and they do have flowers.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I've not had much experience with hoya .. I have some in the greenhouse ... if they can tolerate low light and flower I'll be bringing mine in for the winter!

X

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

here is some info
http://www.robsviolet.com/hoyas.htm

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks! I've only got one that pretty much gets ignored until it blooms .. I'll definitely be taking it out of the greenhouse and potting it up for indoors.

X

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

ignoring plants is my middle name now a days. :)
enjoy

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

I don't know how little light it can endure... but I have my Clerodendrum thomsoniae "Glory Bower" inside 1/2 the year..ina darker westside of the apartment... it will bloom in the winter..sometimes... it's nice to charge them up outside in the summer... then they can endure most anything... string them on fishing line outside... then you can just cut it.. bring it down... spread it across your inside wall on some more of the clear line... and it's goood for the winter inside..
this is it the first of Feb last winter... it's near the window... but only gets sun from about 3-4 pm..and some light from a plant light 10 ft away before that in the day.. it spent a winter in the hallway... with only the hallway light..[ plant light ] and it bloomed there also..some... not as nicely as outside...

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

well... here it is outside...blooming away... it has more color the more light it enjoys... more of the red inthe flowers... but it will get red inside also.. I would over winter it over in the hallway.. but I give that over to the passion flowers now.. as there's less light .. and more room..
mine came from Logees about 15 years ago..
http://logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R1174-4

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

that is beautiful GordonHawk. Do you spray for preventing spider mites before you bring it indoors?

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Oooh! Gordon, that plant is lovely! I really like the leaves on it too - which is good, if it might not flower so profusely inside.

Thanks!

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Yes.. I do spray and drench everything before it comes inside.. butthis plant doesn't get mites too bad... I've plenty of Brugmansias that htey absolutely love... so I mostly battle them there... but they have been OK since I've started spraying my posion cocktail..
Yes.. the dark green leaves are quite elegant... give it a year... with an outside charge of life in the summer... I bet it'll flower for you in a closet then..
a plant spot shinning on the wall hanging. would set it off quite nicely... and would make all the difference in the world to a plant.. asked to grow in a sheltered location...
give it some help...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.