Fall Sales!!

Warners, NY

Oh Rats, now I'm in trouble-----went to store with my wife, while she shopped I checked garden store down the mall--half price shrubs, trees, perennials, boxwood, yew, holly, rose of sharon, now what do I do?? Spent too much last year and not everything survives, (but I did get three boxwood last fall for about four bucks apiece that never even discolored and now I can get more, in this climate!!) Day dreams!! A hedge of boxwood, yew, holly, or maybe just a line of clipped boxwoods or even a cypress, (one left-six feet or more!) or maybe a redbud or dogwood under the oaks! If I wait someone else may walk out with a truckload-----------and I might be better off!!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have been avoiding the nurseries just because of that

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

I recently took a trip to Lowe's...

(insert expletives)

I'm already pre buying plants/trees/shrubs for my next raised bed for NEXT YEAR...yikes...

Anyhoo...I knew that Lowe's was having their 50% off sale...and I knew they had just gotten in (the beginning of October I believe) almost 800 trees and shrubs. They had 7, 5, and 3 gallon 'Forest Pansy' Redbuds...So...I took a stroll over...and YEP, they had 2 left, SO I left with 1-7gallon one...cost= $22.49 (it's almost 8' or more in height!!!)

I also picked up...lol...7 variegated mondo grass $1. 67 each
and 9 Arborvitae 5 mini green mounded ones, and 4 golden mini ones...
The golden ones: $ 1. 67 each...lol
The other were: $ 3. 49 each

And one Nandina 'Fireworks' it was $9. I hope I can zone push it and it lives :-)

Total...with tax...for the above 19 shrubs/trees: 73.64

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

What a deal!!!

I'm trying to avoid any garden centers. I did hit some mail order sales, trying to pace myself.

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Lowes & HD! 2 smoke bushes, 3 porcupine grass, 1 miscanthus, 1 golden barberry, 2 forester smith grasses for less than $100 - and I'm going back for more!!

Ideal time to plant bushes/ trees, no sweating under a hot sun, low water requirements, low prices, no shipping charge, no shock from transit, support local economy; Why not? If I can save $ and get what I drool over in the spring 'for cheap'! YipEE!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

that is a great deal at lowes - now i may need to check out the one here - you will love that forest pansy!

wc your hd sounds like it has a good variety - i've been considering some golden barberry.

Yep, I've got 4 HD's and 2 Lowes within 20min from me! Suffolk County is
'do it yourself land'! lol! I passed up on the 8 foot, $18 Redbuds they had on sale today because I just planted one this spring, but I picked up a 2gal Nandina fireworks, a 1gal Goldenrod and 3 purple Kale today! Hee hee! ☺

(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME(Zone 5a)

I love the fall sales but thank God it is getting cold here and past planting season or I'd be broke, lol.

Almost passed by Lowes without stopping today! Came to my senses and stopped of course!
Bought:
(1) 2x3' Variegated Lacecap hydrangea,
(1) 4' Variegated Dogwood, (nice red branches in the winter),
(1) 2' Golden Barberry
(1) 2x3' Autumn Coral Azalea bush.

Came out to 49.37 with tax. Passed up the Viburnums, the $20 3' and $60 8' Japanese maples, (not enough shade & too big for the truck...
-Now I need a little Indian summer to plant my new acquisitions and they're good to go!

Thumbnail by WaterCan2
Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

wc i did stop at our lowes last weekend and it is not like yours - nada there and i was hoping to find a forest pansy. at hd today they had some sad looking coppertina's that i passed on.

Sorry to hear that wha. Here many people use either lawn services which do basic cut and cleaning OR professional landscapers which offer a maintenance service.
Most of LI is into the Lawn mentality where there's a green lawn and maybe an ornamental tree and that's it! The backyards are usually swimming pools/ toy area for the kids and/or barbecue & bar area for the adults. The majority of people buy the plants at garden centers and dont know or care to maintain them, they let them die and buy new ones with flowers in the spring.

- Wasteful IMO, but it leaves those who like to garden a large assortment of plants to choose from at ridiculously low prices. It's the law of supply & demand...

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i dated a girl from LI and understand the mentality there - which makes it good for you

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Maybe the mentality changed (and spread) after she dated you, Bill?? ^_^

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

actually lived together - she got me into veggy gardening - not yard landscaping that was a war - so i took them all with me when i left:)

... and to the winner go the spoils of war! lol!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.