White Opossum

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

We've had a bunch of young 'possums coming to our cat's food dish since mid-summer. I know they're varmints, but we kind of like them, don't mind buying a little extra cat food, and we've been enjoying watching them grow up.

They're about 3/4 grown now, and one of them is white. It's bright white like a white cat, but it's not an albino - its' ears and eyes are black. It must have a great hiding place in our woods, because as visible as it is, I've never seen it during the day.

Has anybody else here seen a white 'possum? I never have before.

Thumbnail by Ozark
Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

If you ever get another clearer picture, please post it. they are actually very sweet critters, they just have to get used to ya, like any other animal. I used to do rehab and possums were my very favorite of all. I had 1 that was a non releasable that lived in my house for 3 1/2 years. used a litter pan once a day and knew her ame and would come to me when I called.
that sure is a beauty. Arent the babies cute as they grow??

Ozark, MO(Zone 6a)

I'll try to get a clearer picture. He was eating at the food dish and when I opened the door to take the pic he ambled away.

I know I could get these 'possums used to me and unafraid, but I don't want to do that. If they get tame and come up to a neighbor, they'll be killed.

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

yep, unfortunatly many people hate them. they are really just like big kitties too! ^_^

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

Since he has some natural coloring, he would be considdered a piebald, not a true albine. I have seen albino possums before, but not piebalds. If you could get a close enough look, I'll bet his eyes are blue!

cambridge md, MD(Zone 7a)

LOVE POSSIES: I used to rehab them long time ago they are wonderful. Recently we have had some babies visiting at night, I always leave some food for them and always come at the same time. Night before last Three babies that were half grown were at the dish and the next morning I had a very large possum was visiting also..Note they love slugs, to them they are possum candy . I have possums in my yard and not one slug in sight .....

Thumbnail by orchidfancy
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I have seen a several here that are white but have the black ears and such...I think they are cute! We have one that visits the yard on occasion and enjoy seeing it!

Edinburg, TX

I don't like possies but I must admit that white one is kind of cheeky looking :o) Bet it glows like a light bulb when it's trying to sneak around at night :o)

I get the regular ol' black and gray ones - they come over the fence into my yard to eat the tangerines and oranges. The dogs are usually faster than the 'possum as I find a dead one every now and then in the back yard.

Twice the dogs have brought the dead varmits in through the doggie door and left them on the living room floor. One time I was out of town for three days - I could smell a dead animal as soon as I opened the door! UGH!!! ROFL!!!

~ Cat

Edinburg, TX

They had a show on the Animal Planet last night about albino animals and some that weren't albinos but were white with black noses and normal eyes. Everything from a gorilla, to an alligator to a raccoon and deer. I thought of your oppossum!!!

~ Cat

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.