New 4 o'clock, what do you think?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I pull hundreds of 4 o'clock seedlings every year but I this one got by me. It pays to let them flower out sometimes I guess because I haven't seen one like this before. I get speckled ones on my broken colors sometimes but all the flowers are the same on this.

Thumbnail by azreno

Very pretty, is what I think.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks Angele :) I start to wonder what wonderful offspring might come from it in the future, will be keeping it I think.

I've got a yellow one and a purple one growing right next to each other (first year) and I'd be very happy if their offspring came out anywhere near as pretty as this.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

A purple one, are your growing M. multiflora? You should get 'broken colors', I think that's where the interesting seedlings come from. Although I did have the best solid color seedling come from regular flowering 4 o'clocks, the one in the upper right in the pic, inperson the color is fantastic if you like muted tones- which I do :)

Thumbnail by azreno
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I think it is very pretty too!!! I like the solid ones too though.

Hmmm, I think of them (m. jalapa) as purple but they are probably closer to magenta especially when compared to the m. multiflora. The multiflora grows wild close to my home and I have wanted to gather seed the last couple of years ... but.... last year the caterpillar invasion got ALL the flowers so no seeds and this year there wasn't any rain till mid September so no flowers again. I need to take another walk and see if I can find any.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Bummer about not getting seeds, wit that on your tradelist you could write your own ticket lol Mine have not produced seeds for me, have no idea why, tons of flowers, tons of proper pollinators. They will start to develop seed them just stop :(

Yep, I like the solids, too, Marie, the one above I think is my fav...but the possibilities!

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

azreno - pretty four 0'clock!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks Dawn! I think I like it more the more I look at it myself :)

Hahira, GA(Zone 8b)

azreno - that's the prettiest 4 o'clock I have ever seen!!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thank you! You all are making me glad I'm not the best weed puller :)

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Very cool! I didn't know you were into breeding....

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hey PC, fancy seeing you here! And uh, yeah, no breeding here, nope, not gonna happen lol

Pretoria, South Africa

Oh I just love your seedling... a real keeper.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks :) I will admit I look at it every morning now, it's a very cheery flower.

I'm really interested to see what the seeds will bear next summer. Geez, no instant gratification for the gardners, huh?

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

It will be interesting, I hope it doesn't revert back to a broken colors pattern but the reverse (white on pink) would be very nice. Really, you get quicker results from these than you do some things, it's a wonder anyone ever goes thru the trouble to grow out seedlings that will take 2 years or more to bloom- they have more patience than I! Oh, wait, I guess I'm now breeding lovebirds for mutations and that does takes years lol, forget it :(

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Just realized this one is closing a lot earlier than the ones right next to it :( I'll try and remember to check on it this afternoon, see if it opens earlier, if it does then that's good, if not, then not so good.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Did notice this opens same time as others but also noticed one flower with a big 'broken colors' streak on it, so that's disappointing :(

Ah, bummer.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

yep :(

P.S. I saw a dog who looked jes' like yours in a movie this weekend - Zombieland. I'm afraid it was a short shot.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Aw, don't say that, he HAS to be one of a kind :o)

Just a reasonable imitation, that's all!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

lol OK, he feels better now. He does work really hard at being cute you know ;P

Very successfully, might I add...

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.