Is this the END of my Myrtle?

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Help!

My favorite crape myrtle has some type of stuff appearing on what use to be lovely smooth bark. It looks like tree warts!

What is it and can I treat it or do I need to "surgically" remove the limbs that are blighted with it? The myrtle looks like a tree. I'd hate to give it a radical pruning. But if that would save it, I'd drag out the heavy equipment.

Its the only one that has any signs of these "warts".

Dawn

Thumbnail by Delightful_Dawn
The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Looks like this may be a bacterial gall. I understand there's not anything that you can do about it except to keep the tree in good health with fertilization and watering. Don't try to cut them out as that will just spread them. It's possible that you could cut off the whole limb, but I just don't know. And if that will make the tree ugly, I wouldn't do it. A copper fungicide (Kocide) or streptomycin is used for fireblight, which is caused by a bacteria. Neither are registered for use in this case, as far as I know, but it's a thought. But there's also the possibility they could damage the tree. So, I'm back to just keeping it in good health and crossing your fingers.

This message was edited Oct 9, 2009 3:20 PM

I found this: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Trees-739/2008/6/crape-myrtle-disease.htm

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks ceejaytown.

You're welcome. I wish I could have been of more help... Good luck.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.