Free...

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Hello everyone!

I have a whole bunch of Dahlias that I will not be overwintering. I started some from seed, these are all mini/dwarf varieties that are about 1-2' in height, and the flowers are all about 2-3" in diameter. They are all in the "hot" part of the color wheel.

The other Dahlias I purchased from Dan's Dahlias and Connell's Dahlia Farm. They are known varieties that I've lost the ID's to. I think I have these in my journal, not 100% sure though. Most of these Dahlias are larger Dahlias and are about 3-5' tall. The flowers, for the most part are all in the 4-8" diameter range. There is one fellow DG'er who has the first pick. Whatever she does not want, will be up for grabs. The only thing that I would ask for is the s/h to be paid. I can make it simple and just ship everything out in flat rate boxes, or do a zipcode to zipcode search. I am not dividing the clumps up, as I can not discern a Dahlia eye from a Dahlia eye and I don't want to try and divide something and just kill it in the long run. Most of the clumps are pretty huge...some weigh a few pounds! I haven't dug up the seedling varieties yet, so I can only assume that they have clumps but not sure of their size(s).

Anyone interested please either respond on this thread, or send me a dmail. I will post pics once the DG'er has made her choices. That way everyone can see what is left over.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

Yay-I will be happy to have some. I sent you a dmail.

Carrie

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

if I had some where TO store them I'd be all over it ;0(
Gloria

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I would love some!!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I would love some too. Thanks.

(Darla) Dubuque, IA(Zone 5a)

Me too please!! Thanks

Greensburg, PA

Please add me to the list if you have any left- first year with dahlias and they were a big hit with the family.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Ok...

The DG'er that had first pick, has picked the varieties that she wanted. I will be posting what is left over between today and tomorrow.

Thanks again to all those who replied :-)

~Thom

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

I would love to have some too... Thanks Trish

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

These are some of the pics of what is left over. The package I sent yesterday, from here to New York, weighed about 7lbs, and was $8 and some change to send...there were only 4 clumps in the package! Just to give you all a frame of reference.

I will finish taking pictures and post them tomorrow. Some of you that have replied via dmail essentially said, just send us dahlias and who cares what they are...lol...sort of like a dahlia grab bag. I'm still digging them out, and will be working on the mini ones (that I started from seed) in the next day or so. Please be patient with me, I work full time 11p-7a, so my day/night schedule is (chances are) completely opposite from most of you...unless you are a night shifter as well :-)

Here comes the first pic:

****Edited for quantity: There are 2 of these to be spoken for.

This message was edited Oct 8, 2009 9:41 AM

Thumbnail by Hemhostaholic
Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Here is pic number 2:

****There are atleast 3, possibly 4 clumps of these available.

This message was edited Oct 8, 2009 9:42 AM

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Pick number 3:

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Pick number 4 (and the last one for today):

Snellville, GA(Zone 8a)

I would love some of your Dahlia I was just introduced to Dahlia this year and feel in love with the flower. So please let me know if you have any left.

Thanks you

Montrose, AR(Zone 8a)

They are all beautiful... If there is something on my list that would like to have , I;ll be glad to share with you also.. Just tell me how much to send you and to where... Ill be glad to get you the money via paypal or however you prefer it...Trish

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thom I am on the grab bag list... beggars can't be choosers

:)

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Photos round 2...

There are some named varieties here (again, not sure, I know that some of these are in my journal) and there are others, I'll put *** with the pic, that are from seeds.

First one is a seeder ***

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

This Dahlia has a name, but not sure what it is.

***There are 3 clumps of this variety available.

This message was edited Oct 8, 2009 9:42 AM

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

This next one is a named one also, not sure what it is though.

***There are 2 clumps of this variety available.

This message was edited Oct 8, 2009 9:43 AM

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

The next few pics are all seeders. There are 3 or 4 seed started Dahlias that are full of buds, but not blooms.

This one looks (color wise) like the last Dahlia that I posted (named/not sure)...except the Dahlia in the last pic is about 5-6" across and this Dahlia is about 2-3" across.

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

More seed started ones ***

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Another seed started Dahlia ***

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Another SS Dahlia ***

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

SS Dahlia ***

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

The last SS Dahlia (that I have pics of!) ***

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Ok...

So as not to have anyone on DG with any hurt feelings, I'm going to mark the Freebies as CLOSED as of now.

Below, you all have either posted here or sent me Dmails.

quequeg_1
onewish1
soilsandup
dardee4
krowten
taj12
honeybunch_2000
cjcjmass
vossner

If you are not on this list, I will apologize now. So please, please, please know that the above peeps are the only ones that will be getting any of the dahlias.

As I originally posted I do not know how to divide Dahlias, and I don't want to even attempt to experiment doing so...especially since I will be sending these to all different parts of the country :-)

What you all will be receiving, those on the above list, are the huge, big 'ole clumps I will be digging up/out of the ground. If there is anything that looks like it is rotting/dead/etc, I will cut it out and sprinkle the "wound" with cinammon.

I do accept PayPal. And I will respond to individual dmails in regard to shipping costs. I will ship everything out via USPS Priority Mail. To kind of gauge the cost, so y'all don't think I'm trying to pull one over on you, I sent one package to the Long Island area of NY, the package had 4 clumps in it, and from my zip code (18510/NE Pa) to the destination it was about $8 and some change. The box weighed almost 8lbs.

Ok...so let me know what you would like...if you are up for a "grab bag," I will send you that out...or let me know if you want/would like 1, 2, 3, or 4. I will edit the pics above with quantities, that way y'all know what is left over.

I believe, the list above is in order from first response to last response. So I'll use that to be fair.

Again, unless you are on the list above, this Freebie offer is closed to you!

I'm sure, upon receiving their clumps, if the good peeps who receive their Dahlia clumps know how to divide them, they will/can/or might be able to. DG'ers are always good like that :-)

Thanks,
Thom

This message was edited Oct 8, 2009 9:15 AM

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

I edited that last post for my awful grammer/spelling...which is probably still awful...after working 11p-7a certain things get tossed on the wayside, I guess proper speech/spelling is one of them :-/

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

All of the seed started Dahlias will be 1 per variety...I should have said that above. Going out to check/recheck the others!

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Ok...I just got back in from outside and counted. All Dahlias in the pics above that have multiples to them, are edited to reflect how many clumps of each variety that are available. There are 10 different varieties of Dahlias that I started from seed. All of the Dahlias that were NOT started from seed, that are named varieties that I've lost the ID's to are all single clumps unless edited and noted otherwise.

I will also have available the "Bishop" series of Dahlias. I have 6 different varieties of the dark leaved Dahlias. I purchased these from Brent and Becky's this season. I will need to dismantle my two front 1/2 whiskey barrel planters to get at these...so...these will be the last ones dug...lol. I do not look forward to lugging those planters off the porch, into a wheel barrow and out back to dismantle them :-/ but it does have to be done.

Thank you all for reading my ramblings, and I hope that I do/did make sense. Please ask any questions that you have here on this thread, or via dmail!

Thanks again for participating,
Thom

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Thank you, Thom, for doing this. Your rambling makes perfect sense. I'll be sending you a dmail.

I'm in for the grab bag. Surprises are the best flowers.:)
Thanks so much for sharing. I'll be sending a Dmail.

Greensburg, PA

Thom, Really, what you have to spare will be fine. I would, however, like to try one of the Bishop ones if that works out. Been thinking of getting some seed this winter myself, when the catalogs start coming in.

So whatever is left when you get to me will be fine.

I'll d-mail you my address.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

paypal fees formula

Amount X 1.029 + .30.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

eh a little extra for gas

Kershaw, SC(Zone 8b)

Hello everyone!

I was going to send a blast Dmail, but when everyone responds individually, and uses different blast dmails that I sent out, to respond, I get totally and completely confused...lol....

So, with that being said, I have heard back from some of you (not all, atleast I don't think) about receiving the packages that I sent out.

I think I may have goofed. I believe, not 100% sure, that I sent out 8 packages. What I did, and I apologize if I did screw up, was this:

First: Write down what everyone was interested in.
Second: Write down everyones addresses.
Third: Write out labels, corresponding to everyones addresses.
Fourth: Tape all those blasted boxes together...lol.
Fifth: Line the boxes with newspaper and shred as much newspaper as I could.
6th-10th: Dig, wash, clean, dry, package the Dahlias.

I think I may have forgot someone, but I don't know who. What I didn't do, was check off the recipients name on my send/address/wish list.

So please, PLEASE respond to this...even a simple, "Got it," or "Didn't Get it," will do. I do hope that everyone is pleased. I read Poochellas thread (didn't see it until after I sent everything) on how to divide and conquer...Some of those clumps could probably be split into about 20 or so pieces, maybe more...lol.

But please respond to this thread if you did get your package or not. I think I didn't send someones out, but I can't for the life of me remember to whom...if so I will redirect any funds you sent me back to you...if I didn't forget anyone, WHEWWWWW.

I have everyones home city/zip code on the receipt from the post office, so when you respond here that you received the package, I can highlight the receipt and go from there.

Thank you all very much, and enjoy the blooms next year!

~Thom

Got mine Thom.. Thanks so much

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

Got mine, too-thank you!!! The clumps are so huge! I figured I might try my hand at dividing, kinda scared, but I have Annie's tutorial to walk me through it. Today, it's actually about 70 here, so perfect day to get out and garden!!! Finally, fall is here!
Just a reminder to all who received, and maybe didn't know you could--- it would be nice to leave Thom feedback.

TY again,

Carrie

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Got mine too Thom. I hope you received the extra postage that I sent. I got everything on my wish list - that was wonderful. Thank you so much.

Dianne

Thom, I'm pp additional after I finish posting here. The first pic is silly as it only shows the box, the HUGE box you sent.

Thumbnail by vossner

This 2nd pic shows one huge clump of tubers. I didn't open the others.

You went thru a lot of trouble Thom. Thank you so much.

Thumbnail by vossner

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.