How close is "near" in hollies?

Moundridge, KS(Zone 6a)

I recently purchased both blue princess and blue prince hollies at an end of the season sale. I know both are needed for berry production, but everything I read just says they have to be planted "near" eachother. How close is that? Can they be in seperate shrub borders in the same yard or do they need to be next-dooor neighbors? I appreciate any knowledge you can share.

Willow

Danville, IN

I have read (somewhere) that a male holly can pollinate up to a dozen females within 30'. I usually plant one male for up to 5 or 6 females within 10' or so. What I mostly do in my landscape plans is plant the male holly within and as part of the grouping of females. Since the two sexes are pretty much indistinguishable (except for the presence of berries), I put the male to the back of the grouping. When I can, I use a smaller male plant. Best is to plant some one-gallon males every 5' or 6', even sharing the planting holes with a female (cozy!). Some gardeners believe that the male hollies grow quicker and thicker than the females, but I haven't noticed any difference. Blue hollies are great garden plants, growing in full-sun to 3/4 shade in my zone (even complete shade along a north side of a building, with no overhanging trees)

You are in a good zone for growing blue hollies. However, you might consider using an anti-desiccant spray on your new plants this first winter, just to be safe.

This message was edited Oct 5, 2009 9:02 PM

This message was edited Oct 5, 2009 9:03 PM

Thumbnail by HoosierGreen
Moundridge, KS(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the information. I will look for the spray. I've only gotten the two for now as I know hollies prefer a slightly acid soil, and we tend to be slightly alkaline. I have seen hollies grown here though so thought it was worth the try. I can use some more acidic mulch around them. and will do what I can to help them along, but bottom line will be seeing how they do in Kansas.

Willow

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.