Clem in full bloom

(Darla) Dubuque, IA(Zone 5a)

Just wanted to share a few pictures I took of my clems in early june when they were in full bloom.

Thumbnail by dardee4
Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

may I be the first to drool?

DROOOOOOOL!

Heres another one

Thumbnail by dardee4

oops!!!!! I added this picture sideways.

Thumbnail by dardee4

This is what the clems from the last picture looks like now.

This message was edited Oct 5, 2009 12:05 AM

Thumbnail by dardee4

Closeup of seed heads from same plant.

Thumbnail by dardee4

closeup of a seed head from the white clem on same picture

Thumbnail by dardee4

I'll be the second one to D-R-O-O-L!

Troy, NY(Zone 5b)

They are gorgeous.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I have some clems putting out new blooms. I am afraid for them with this strange weather, hot and then cold. SHould i just let them do their thing and not trim ?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

dardee4 - magnificient clems! Gorgeous! What do you feed them?

marie - let them bloom. Nature will step in when it's time for them to sleep.

W of Cleveland, OH(Zone 5a)

dardee4 - Those really are beautiful clematis - so full of blooms!!

marie - I have two new ones planted this summer that have one bud each - I'm holding my breath hoping they'll open before the frost hits them.

Toledo, OH(Zone 5b)

Looking good!!, your a good clematis mommy!

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

Or Daddy :) In either case....... B-E-A-U-T-F-U-L!

I peeked and dardee's name is Darla.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Darla..Your clems are fabulous...

Thanks for all the compliments. Hopefully they will bloom good again next year. I'm undecided yet on cutting them back. Any suggestions ? If anyone wants seeds. I would be willing to collect some.

pirl- I just use miracle grow occasionally.

Thanks.

Mullins, SC(Zone 8a)

dardee4 they are just beautiful....you did good ;-)

Marin, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow! Such bloomy plants! Well done!!

Baton Rouge, LA

Darla, those are some beautiful explosions of bloom! How many years have you had these planted? How was their performance last year? That Iowa farm soil sure must agree with them!

I was surprised to see how green your grass is this late into fall. Aren't you guys cold up there already?

Appleton, WI

I was surprised by it too. Our trees are almost completely bare and we've had many frosty nights already. I didn't even see a fallen leaf in the photo. It's hard to imagine that her zone is only 5a.

Beautiful plants, dardee.

The pictures were from last June, but the grass is still green. I just finished cutting grass for the last time this year. HOPEFULLY!! I have over an acre to cut. Yes it has been cold here. I believe we are having indian summer this weekend. I planted it in 2006.This was the first year that it really bloomed good.

W of Cleveland, OH(Zone 5a)

I'm in zone 5a and my grass is also still very green. In fact, it's at it's best. It is always green well after the snows have begun.....don't know why that is.

Dathen

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

I know I'm in a warmer zone, but my lawn is amazingly green right now also. I wish it looked this good in August. Found a little Comtesse bloom today, bless her heart.

My lawn is also a beautiful green right now. Just a Jackmanii here in bloom.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I have found that as soon as the clematis is tall enough to train it, start then. I noticed one of yours looked "bottom heavy" Because they grow so rapid, you have to almost to guide them each day as once their tenticles start wrapping around something, it's hard to undo them. Maybe some other people have some other suggestions. Is that a Niorobe by the back or side door? I had one of those at our former home.

Baton Rouge, LA

I LOVE the look of bottom heavy clem plants. It's so hard to get the full green foliage on the bottom, especially late in the season when the vines have nothing but spindly legs. At times like those, the bottom of the trellis can look so bare. With the fullness at the bottom, you can cut plenty of flowers to enjoy inside and still have a lush, beautiful plant in the garden to admire. Well done!

I also love Niobe... the deep crimson is just breathtaking. Dardee, all your clems look lush, beautiful and happy. Thanks for sharing!

I agree with Bliss. Bare bottoms are only cute on babies.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Venu209..can you post a picture of your comtesse de Bouchard? The reason I am asking is that when we moved here in 2005, there was this clematis already planted out by garage door and I found a partial plant ID card near it, with the name of this clematis. Comparing photos in flower garden books, it doesn't look like the photos in the books. Mine is like a mauve/blue flower. I don't know how to post pictures on the computer and am a novice taking pictures with the digital camera, or I'd post it. Just curious if yours looks the color of mine.

Until Louise arrives here are all the photos shown on Plant Files for Comtesse de Bouchaud:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/259836/

and a link to Google images of it:
http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&source=hp&q=%22Comtesse+de+Bouchaud%22&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

It can have various shades of lavender/mauve as you can see by all those images.

Bottom heavy blooms rock! LOL

Thumbnail by Calif_Sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.