Heidi Chronicles: End of Another Summer

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

This is the ongoing story of Heidi and friends, raccoons who eat at my backyard buffet. The 09 kits are growing fast now.

prior thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1035050/
1st thread in series: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/603944/

CAUTION: Don't try this at home. Professional drivers on closed circuit course.
Seriously though, while this is a true story, it is the culmination of 4yrs of effort making friends with the raccoons. Please don't read this and think that you can approach a wild raccoon in the manner described here without first investing time, lots of time, getting to know the raccoon. Moreover, contact with wild raccoons or any other wild animals is ill advised. Raccoons may carry rabies and/or raccoon roundworm both of which present serious health risks to humans. I have taken steps to mitigate the risk, including: getting rabies shots, being careful to avoid situations where I might be scratched or bitten, and wearing rubber gloves for protection against roundworm eggs when cleaning the pool.

The picture below is of Heidi and 2 of her kits. The one front right is Precious. If you look closely you can see that she is holding one back foot up in the air. That's the injured foot.

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

OUCH for the 'thump on the head'. LOL
We had five plump raccoons eating on our back porch tonight, and we didn't see any the last couple nights. I think nature has provided them with an abundance of nuts. You'll see them again soon, I'm sure. It's true, you do miss their cute little masked faces when they're not there!

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm sure they will be back Cheryl...probably just like the old "Candid Camera"...when you least expect them.

I hope you are feeling better. Do you have regular appts scheduled with your chiropractor. You sure make the process sound much more pleasant than when I have one!!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Tonight I left the outside lights on for a while. No one ever showed up on the patio. When I went out to the buffet, I thought I heard someone rustling the bushes (kits, no doubt, as an adult would be much stealthier). I sat for a while alone calling Heidi every few minutes.

After she had let me sit alone long enough to realize the error of my ways, Heidi came down the fence. I know she was up there the whole time. The kits didn't come down the fence with her, they came out of the weeds one at a time and from different directions. They were probably there the whole time, too. It was probably them I heard over there in rustling the weeds when I 1st came out. They had waited quietly for Heidi to give the signal to come out.

Precious came over to me. I'm not positive, but it looked like she might be limping less and possibly putting the food down some now. She has grown a bit so that she no longer seems so tiny. She came over to me and ate some grapes. Then, only minutes after I got out there, the neighbor came outside and started making noises, and Heidi and the kits left.

My camera appears to be on its last leg. I had to wrestle with it to get the poorly focused pic above. I missed a bunch of chances to get the most adorable pics of Precious. The camera refused to take pics at all, just kept turning itself off every time I pressed the button. After repeated failures I finally managed to get it to take 3 pics all poorly focused. If you notice in the one above, that's the injured foot that Precious (front right) is holding up.

I know that must have lifted your spirits to see them and execially Precious looking on the mend (derned noisy neighbors!)
I am very happy tht you got to see them tonite, Cheryl!!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Sheri,

They did come back. That's a pic of Precious from tonight at the top of the thread. : )

I'm supposed to go back tomorrow. I also have a standing apt with the pain dr tomorrow. I have to keep that for the pain meds. I'm doing ok, still having a fair amount of pain. Managed to get some work done today after taking both meds. As you mentioned, the meds effect my energy, attitude and such.

I really did find my chiro apt very pleasant. I've found that there are numerous different types of chiropractic methods. Many Dr's list the types they practice. The treatment I had the other day was totally different from that which I had years back. This particular practice combines massage with chiropractic treatment. The lights are turned down low in the rooms. There are interior waterfalls in the rooms to add the sound of gently flowing water. It was a very pleasant experience. I hated to leave.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi, KyWoods,

Sorry, Didn't mean to thump you so hard. LOL.

I think you are right that there is a lot of food in the forest right now. With all that food out there and the kits needing to learn what to eat and where to find it, the raccoons just don't have time to wait around for me considering I have been a no-show many nights recently.

Glad you got the chance to see some of your raccoon friends. Oh, and hopefully by now you've seen that I did get to see the raccoons tonight for a few minutes.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Sheri!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

A friend sent me this link: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,560150,00.html?test=latestnews

I'm quite shocked to hear that a gang of non-rabid raccoons would attack a human. They must be growing them pretty mean down in Florida. Then again, remembering Cruella and her gang, maybe it just depends on the mentality of the group and especially its leader. Thankfully, Heidi is a benevolent leader and is very non-aggressive. She doesn't permit a lot of fighting even among the raccoons. (I do keep my vinegar spray with me at all times though.)

It is also interesting that this article seems to indicate the raccoons acted as a pack. If you recall, I've mentioned a time or two in the past that I have seen the raccoons work this way. I've seen Heidi's group gang up on males to drive them out, and Cruella's group ganged up on Widget when they attacked him.

Just passing this on. Interested to hear your take on it.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Here is a prior news story sent to me by a colleague: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,545584,00.html??test=faces

Alas, I have become "that raccoon woman". People all over are sending me raccoon stories. ; )
Thought I would share some with you.

"Fight or flight"-, their feeding territory perhaps and feeeling trapped would be my best guess. I would think a group would work together against any group threat.

Wow, what a nightmare for that poor woman who was attacked! If they weren't rabid, I wonder why they behaved that way. They normally run when they see people coming (unless, of course, they are Cheryl's spoiled rotten bunch, lol).

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Sheri,

Not all species work together in a group (pack, hive, etc). Take cats, for instance, even when there are several in an area, they don't seem to work together. From what I have read, raccoons are believed to live and act pretty much alone, the only exceptions being breeding time and mothers with kits. I'm not so sure I believe that though. I don't think it matches what I've observed with Heidi and the others, and I know that I have seen raccoons work together to run others away from the buffet. I have also seen 2 or more raccoons gang up on another when fighting, so they do seem to cooperate and work together.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods,

I'm having difficulty figuring out just how the authorities know the raccoons weren't rabid - unless maybe they think it unlikely that a whole group would be rabid at the same time and fighting the same person.

ROTF at that last sentence!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I didn't get out there until around 9:30 tonight. No sign of a raccoon anywhere. I did hear a sound not and again, a rustling here, a crackle there, so that I thought perhaps an animal of some kind was nearby. I sat out there for about 30min, waiting.

Suddenly, I heard a strange sound in front of me, a sound I couldn't quite make sense of. Was it water from the earlier rain falling from a tree along the fence line maybe? I looked toward the fence expecting to maybe see a raccoon coming down the post under the Heidi tree, but there was nothing there - just that strange rather constant, staccato sound. Alone in the darkness, I struggled to make sense of it all, to put the sound into context...Then the slightest movement in the shadow pattern reveals a raccoon standing just 12ft in front of me eating cat food in the darkness.

I was startled momentarily. It was much the same feeling you get when you think you are alone and suddenly look up to see someone standing nearby. "Where did you come from?" I said to the yearling before me. I knew the answer, of course. Even though I know what amazing little Ninjas raccoon can be, it never fails to startle me when one seems to materialize out of nowhere as though beamed down by Scottie himself.

The yearling kept her distance. She ate for a while, the whole time appearing a little uncomfortable. This was not unusual though as the raccoons are always timid when Heidi is not around. Even those that will come up to me and calmly take a cookie from my hand when Heidi is there, will stay back beyond the pool when she is not. In Heidi's absence even the calm ones appear jumpy, ready to flee in an instant. It is clear how much they look to her for guidance.

While I was out there, neither Heidi nor Freida showed up. I guess there must be some good stuff in the forest this time of year.

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7b)

I was going to say when I read your earlier posts that your raccoons decided to take a vacation in Virginia! I counted 10 out back tonight. That's the most I have ever seen. I didn't think they would ever stop coming in. They heard me putting the food in the dishes and started showing up. The first one found the marshmallow I put in each dish and went around digging the mm out of other dishes before settling in to eat the cat food. I don't think I am putting enough food out there to feed that many but they will just have to share. None of them looked to be an adult and all were cute.

Heidi knows you want to see her and the kids so she probably was chastising you in her own way. Glad to know she forgave you!

Judy

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Judy,

10. Wow! You do have quite a crowd. I only had 1 tonight, so you must be right. My bunch must have gone North for fall. Those large crowds are impossible to feed. I agree with you. You just have to put out a little and let them share. That's cute how the one ran around grabbing all of the marshmallows.

Is it cold there. If so, that might be bringing out the crowds with everybody trying to stock up before winter. (It's still hot here, if you can believe it.)

LOL. Yes, I think Heidi was sitting up there in the tree the whole time watching me sweat.

Depends on your definition of cold ;) Its gotten in the low 50's to high 40's over the weekend...lows that is,highs in the 60's and 70's.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Judy,

Actually, that just sounds like my idea of perfect weather, slightly cool days, chilly nights. In that case, I think maybe the raccoons are just coming out to enjoy the nice weather.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

This raises a question I've been meaning to ask. Does anyone know how raccoons cool themselves to maintain the proper body temp when it's hot out? Humans sweat. Dogs pant. Raccoons? All I know is this. I've sat out there when it's 100F and so humid you can feel the air heavy on your body. I've sat out there in a sweat soaked t-shirt, rivers of perspiration running down my face. I look at the raccoons around me, and they look pretty much the same as always, not a hair out of place, no panting, no sweat pools. No matter how hot or cold it gets out there, they never show any sign of discomfort.

On one such hot, humid, sweaty night I was wondering just how it is that they manage to stay so composed in such weather. The only thing I have noticed is that the hairs on their coat seem to change with the weather, sometimes standing straight up from the skin so that if you look just right you can see the dark skin beneath, other times lying flat against the skin like that of a short haired dog or cat. The hair even feels different depending on how it is positioned. When lying down, it is softer, more like that of a short haired dog. When upright, it is a bit stiff and wirey. I think, depending on whether it is standing upright or lying down, the hair must play some role in regulating body temperature. When standing upright it seems to act as an insulator by trapping air in the spaces between the hairs. As such it may help both in keeping the heat out as well as the cold. Not sure, but I do think the hair plays a role in this.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Interesting news articles. Turtles are normal prey for raccoons, when they get through the shell, so that one is no surprise; though the vet's ingenious attempt to provide prostheses was surprising. The Florida story, however, makes absolutely no sense if the raccoons were not rabid. And since the whole east coast raccoon rabies pandemic began in Florida, and they did not capture or test the raccoons, I'm at a loss to explain why "authorities" say they weren't rabid coons. My best guess, and it is purely a guess, would be that this was a litter of adolescents whose mother was infected, and they were in the early stages of infection themselves. If that was the case, and if the woman was frail, carrying food, and/or made the raccoons feel cornered, I can see them attacking in concert. In the early stages of infection, the animals are not always visibly ill, though on close observation they can seem a bit disoriented or uncoordinated. I remember a case during an upsurge of rabies cases in my animal control days, when I got a call about a raccoon outside a firehouse who "was behaving strangely." When I arrived, I saw a young adolescent coon standing outside the firehouse. As I approached with my long-handled net, the raccoon was not obviously ill, though he did alternate between standing on hind feet and all fours, and appeared very nervous and confused. As I got closer, he became more obviously nervous- understandably. You could clearly see him alternating between fight and flight impulses; he'd walk away a few steps, then stop and stand upright and stare at me; he could easily have escaped, by the way, in several directions. When I got within about ten feet of him, I seemed to have reached his threshold. Without moving in either direction, he angled his body on all fours in several directions, alternating with standing upright and staring at me. His reactions all the while were much much slower than the usual lightning-fast raccoon response to danger. Finally, after a very long upright stare, he lowered himself to all fours and charged me, allowing me to easily capture him in the net. As I was sure he would, he tested positive for rabies; in my experience, a healthy raccoon would not have hesitated to escape, and certainly would not have attacked when escape routes were available. The incident taught me that the disease can begin to impact behavior well before it visibly impacts appearance; and that the mental processes are the first casualty of the disease. I was not cornering or attacking him, and yet he obviously perceived me as a threat, and was unable to think clearly enough to formulate a prompt or appropriate response. I'd guess the situation was similar in the incident in Florida; the woman did not have to be posing a true threat to be perceived as such, if the raccoons were infected with rabies.

As for raccoon reaction to hot weather, you're right that they don't pant as dogs do. Like cats and some dogs, they shed most of their undercoat in hot weather; because their guard hairs are rather long and very coarse, this is not usually visible but does allow them to stay much cooler. And like both cats and dogs, their paw pads aid in thermal control, allowing for a fair amount of heat loss through the soft and hairless pads. And as basically nocturnal animals, they are usually inactive during the hottest parts of the day. And of course they drink more water in hot weather, if it's available; these are all little things, but together are very adaptive to help the animal stay more comfortable.

Judy, you're really drawing a crowd these days. Congrats: you have your own Virginia diner for the local raccoons!

Calvert City, KY(Zone 7a)

Finally I caught up.
Thank you, Cheryl.
Sending good strong thoughts for your back, too.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Been away from the buffet for a while. Looks like the diner is still going strong although we have new players. Thanks for keeping up witht his wonderful story! I did not realize until looking over this thread how much I missed it. :^)

They like to submerse themselves in water, too. I've seen them on hot days actually taking a nap in the birdbath, lol.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Sharran,

Good to see you!

You are very welcome. Thank You! Thank you both for being there and for your thoughts and prayers for my back.

The back does seem to be doing a bit better I think, at least for the moment. I had my 2nd session with the chiropractor Monday. Too early to tell for sure, but so far I really do think it is helping. Immediately after the 1st session as I walked out the door I noticed that I wasn't limping any more - and still am not. Yesterday and today I awoke pain free. Yesterday I didn't need pain meds until around noon. Today I haven't taken any so far. These are definite signs of improvement, at least for the moment. The pain is for now down to a level that is manageable with medication so that I never have to be in agony.

Thanks again and it's very good to hear from you.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi tetleytuna,

It is great to see you again!

Yes, the names change, but the story goes on. For the past few months the cast has been mostly limited to just Heidi and Freida and their 6 kits. I've only named 3 of the kits so far. Buster and Muffin are Freida's 2. Since she didn't stop them from coming right up to my side - and even left them many nights for me to babysit while she went cavorting around the forest, they are very comfortable around me. At some point Heidi became nervous about having her kits so close to me, so she taught them to stay back a bit; however, once she started leaving little Precious behind at night (more babysitting) there was no way she could teach that one to stay back. After a few nights of sitting out there with her when she was so scared and calling for her family, little Precious now comes right up to me just like Buster and Muffin.

So that's the current cast. I imagine some of the others will be back either in winter or spring when the kits are older (and Heidi allows them back). You are very welcome. Thank you for being there. It is an enjoyable experience for me, too.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

LOL, Kywoods,

I've never seen that, but then the buffet area (where all the water is) is hidden from view of the house, so for all I know the pool may be filled to capacity on hot days. When I'm out there at night they stay in the pool a lot winter and summer, so I can't tell a difference. Even when its 28F outside and my feet are frozen just sitting there, the yearling will be in and out of the pool playing as though oblivious to the cold. That coat must provide fabulous insulation quality. (Hmm, raccoon hair comforters instead of down...No, bad idea. Forget I even dreamed it up.)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ruth,

Thanks for your assessment of the raccoon article. It was almost downright humorous yesterday because I received (via email from friends and colleagues so many links to different versions of that story from various news organizations. I responded back to each of them to say that those raccoons were almost certainly rabid and to remind them that life is dangerous. One frantic guy sent me multiple emails with different links. The last email was titled "She was Filleted!"

Whew! Hope the worlds raccoons don't do anything news worthy for a while, so I can clean out the inbox.

And big thanks for continuing to urge me to try chiropractic. I think it's too early to say for sure, but I do think it is helping.

Cheryl, so glad to hear your back is doing better for whatever reason; and if the chiro visits are making a difference, that's surely a comparitively easy solution. I have no doubt that raccoon fur is fabulous insulation, but we'll all just have to envy them that benefit. Fur as human wearing apparel is always hard for me to understand, but every time I see a coonskin cap I just cringe. Can't believe that still make/sell them, but obviously they do.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Somehow I have to laugh at the picture of Precious running up to you with a fillet knife and Heidi in the background shaking her finger and saying "No, no! We have to be nice to the babysitter!

Susan

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

ROTFLOL, Susan!

I love image. It's a cute picture, especially since little Precious is so sweet and non-aggressive. I need a cartoon of that image to send to all of the people who keep sending me links to that story and expressing concern that I will be next.

Susan I got a kick out of the mental picture your post invoked. That is funny.
Cheryl,I am sure the show Mercy last night caused many of your friends start for the comp to send you even more dire warnings. I know my neighbors thought of me and my raccoons. In case you missed it,the lady got rabies from a pet raccoon. It really was a funny episode,though I really didn't think it was so funny when they were chasing it through the hospital to beat it to death. I kept thinking of our precious ones.

Judy

Good one, Susan; still chuckling at that image!

Judy, "chasing a rabid raccoon through the hospital to beat it to death:" I so wish you were kidding, even for TV that's beyond the pale. Not only are suspect rabies animals NEVER EVER taken anywhere alive but the animal control facility, then there's the sheer barbarism of the action depicted, but worst of all, it's terminally stupid: splashing fluids, especially blood or mucus, from a suspect animal is a really good way of spreading rabies. Just when you think TV can't get any worse...talk about a failure of public education.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Susan,

Since reading your post, I have been expanding that mental cartoon drawing to include me tied in ropes (the cartoon way where the ropes go around and around and around your whole body) with one of the kits sitting on the back of the chair tying a blindfold around my eyes, another kit behind me setting up his slingshot, and a forth coming into the view carrying a bow and a satchel of arrows. Precious is still running toward me with the fillet knife. Heidi is around the corner just out of sight saying, "You kits are being nice to the babysitter, aren't you?" And the kit that is tying up the blindfold is saying, "Yes, Mamam"

Now I need to draw this for my book.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Judy,

I'm afraid I missed that show. I'm not sure whether I want to look it up or not. ; )

Hoping it doesn't cause another influx of worried emails.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

(WARNING: What follows is a very gruesome story. Skip this if you are squeamish.)

Ruth,

For 4 yrs I've tried to avoid telling this story, but it just is so fitting at this moment. As I've mentioned I grew up in a rural area. My Dad had no use for the city, not even a relatively small one like Charleston. He like his space.

I had been trained almost since birth to fear raccoon and to keep away from them at all cost. Most of my life out there in the country, I pretty much never saw a raccoon. Then one day when I was maybe 13 and we were having a backyard cookout, a raccoon came out of the edge of the forest just a short distance from us and stood watching as we ate.

In our world, any raccoon that dared come out in daylight and especially one who came near humans was automatically considered rabid. My Dad, a very smart man who normally made sensible choices, headed for the house to grab his shotgun. His plan, as he raised the gun into the air and sent a torrent of metal balls into the raccoon's flesh was to protect us from the perceived harm, but to this day I will never forget what actually happened next as my Mom, my sister, and I all felt the fluids (even brain matter) splatter us. It was a gruesome moment and one we were to discuss many times in the future. And, yes, clearly his attempt to protect us from the threat of rabies backfired as we were all drenched in the body fluids of the unfortunate creature.

To make matters worse, or better depending on your perspective, it's pretty clear that just like Heidi that 1st day when she approached me 4yrs ago, the raccoon who tried to invite himself to our backyard dinner party was not rabid. I say that because none of us received treatment.

My Dad was like that. He loved animals, too, but he was a hard man who had grown up in hard times, and he believed in doing what had to be done (or, rather, what he believed had to be done).

Wow, Cheryl, that is one godawful childhood experience; it goes a long way toward explaining your initial fear reaction to Heidi, since that was more than enough to scar any kid. And yes, that plan really backfired (no bad pun intended) on your dad since the spatter factor would have taken his entire family if the coon had actually been rabid. Our parents' generation, however fond of animals, typically had a very different view of animals' place in our world. In my family, it was a given that cats went outside, despite the fact that none of my childhood pets lived more than a handful of years as a result. There was always another free kitten available to replace the one that was lost, and they never understood why I kept arguing that they should stay indoors. Oh well, they meant well; just had a different headset, and fortunately we could start making our own choices once we grew up.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Cherly, since you're an artist, I like the idea of you adding a cartoon at then end of each chapter of your book. Somehow your racoon tales seem to inspire some very funny mental images. Denise almost seems to need her own book. I'm still laughing at the thought of her doing the steal all wrong!

susan

Cheryl, are you distantly related to hoot owls somehow?? You are absolutely hysterical. and I remain a huge fan.
.....whowie,what a childhood different from mine (appts, etc)

~Sheri ^_^

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Ruth,

I know exactly what you mean. I, too, had an endless string of short-lived pets who lived out of doors. We always had 1 cat and 1 dog, always. Like you, when we lost one, we picked up another. Someone we knew always had a litter in need of new homes, so pet replacement was never an issue. For this reason, I had a plethora of cats and dogs throughout my childhood, yet I can only recall the names and specifics of a very few. Most just didn't stick around long enough to make a big impression, that and since they lived outdoors, we didn't get that close.

Pets were never, ever allowed in our house. It was an absolute rule, never to be broken and no need to ask. So strict was this rule that as a youngster I never even thought of breaking it. But as a rebellious teenager, now that was another story. Whenever my parents went to functions for which i knew they would be gone for a while, I went straight for the door to get the cat and bring him inside. Even if I was asleep, I would get out of bed just for the secret, rebellious joy of bringing the cat in. Never got caught either.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.