Andromeda leaves turning brown and falling off!

Bennington, VT

I bought 8 andromeda bushes, that are good for zone 4 and good in shade. I planted them in a shady spot, pretty good soil (I dug it all up, loosened, added hollytone and peat moss) and watered them well for a few days. They looked fantastic for 3 weeks. Then all of a sudden, in mid-September, I noticed a bunch of branches on most of the bushes had all brown leaves, and the leaves were falling off. It seemed to be mostly the lower branches, or the ones on the outside of the plant. I removed the bad branches altogether, which got the plant higher off the ground, thinking maybe they didn't like being near the dirt. I watered them a lot, sprayed with fungicide, and sprayed with insecticide, at different times. I am just waiting now to see what will happen. I just brought some soil in to be tested for acidity level. Does anyone know what this could be from or has anyone experienced this? I have always had some trouble with Andromedas, so I know they can be fussy. I usually get 1 out of 3 to survive. I'd like to finally know why I have so much trouble.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm sorry you haven't had a response to your question. I, for one, know nothing about andromeda. You might check with you Cooperative Extension Office if bumping this up doesn't get you a response here.

Bennington, VT

Thanks (belatedly - my subscription ran out for a while!) for the suggestion. I will do that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.