Fall Garden 2009 October

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

October is here and these are the 1st pics of the month. If you are a new viewer of my garden, I grow all my veggies in various containers( 5 gallon grow bags, 10 gallon plastic, Smart Pots, and stackables of different types) and use coconut coir as the growing medium exclusively. Half my garden is inside a screened pool enclosure and half is outside.

Here are 9 pepper plants in 10 gallon plastic and a 10 gallon Smart Pot. Growing inside. I see no difference in growth between plastic and Smart Pot so far.

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Here is Chinese cabbage in 2 gallon grow bags

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Here is a regular cabbage in a 5 gallon grow bag

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Here growing inside is 2 grow pots of pole beans trained to climb a 10 foot wire cage. They are beginning to flower

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Here growing inside in a 25 gallon tub is 3 yellow summer squash plants

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Here growing inside and attaching themselves to the screen are 2 cucumber plants. Picked 2 -12 inchers so far

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Some Romaine Lettuce seedlings

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Some Georgia Collard Greens

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

A variety of tomato plants in 5 gallon grow bags and Earthboxes

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

My one and only Acorn Squash

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm giving watermelon a chance again

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

A pepper plant outside and cagged with a ton of peppers on it

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

3 cabbage plants in a layflat grow bag

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

The growth of the tomato plants has been unbelievable

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Here are some Roma's

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

These tomatoes are inside supported by plant clips and twine

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

A view of inside the screened area

That's it for today

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Crestview, FL

Bob: You have a beautiful garden this year Again. LOL That acorn squash is huge and I love the size of those tomato plants. Your cabbage is coming along fine also. I notice you are growing both warm season and cool season veggies together? Aren't cabbages and collards cool weather veggies?
joy

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Just trying to beat the system (mother nature)

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Hey Bob - very nice pics. Your plants look great! I like the way the pole beans are working. I might try that on the patio with the last of my coir.
My containers seem to be cranking up after a bit of a slow start after xplanting. Still working on a regular watering and feeding schedule. Everything is still on the patio but I'm going to move some out to the full sun next week. My in-ground plants need some company.

Flip

Crestview, FL

Bob: Don't know what you and TPlant did here; but, you can keep that hot weather you sent this way today now. LOL My poor canna lilies that I fertilized, put systemic on and whacked them down so they would lie down for the winter are popping back up everywhere.
joy

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Darn if it wasn't 90 again today. Sweat'n bullets.

Crestview, FL

bob: Yeah, me too, I had 60 onions to plant, had to pick up the high nitrogen to side dress them with later on, some more lime and some more systemic for my canna lilies. Got all 6 totes filled with coir, perlite, dolomite lime and made my fertilizer stockings, was sweating to death doing it, it was hot out today, and that is a complete turnaround here, it's been 51-58 here all week, barely got the stockings buried when it cut lose with rain, don't mind dodging a few drops of rain to plant my veggies; but not buckets full and definately not hail stones like got the other evening. I will get them planted tomorrow morning first thing though.
joy

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Nice, really nice! I just got my garden started September 25 in raised beds. Do they count as containers?

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

I vote almost yes

LoL Bob.

I have a couple of questions for you. Do you see much difference between plants grown inside the screen room and those grown outside?

Do you have less trouble with the white flies inside the screen room. Is there any reason I cannot start my tomatos right in the boxes now? Ya got me a bit worried about that new disease now.

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi kathy,

Inside the screen enclosure the sun's intensity is less, especially during hot spells. Overall growth is about the same. The rain is also dissipated, especially during heavy rain storms. Other than that, the white flies are inside and out. You can start them now from seed in the boxes. I don't see any problem with that. "That disease" is not really new. A few varieties have been developed that are resistant to it that us little folk can buy. I grew only heirlooms last year and lost 1/2 of them to the disease. Heirlooms usually have no resistance to any disease. This year I'm growing mostly hybrids with resistance.

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

This message was edited Jan 5, 2010 6:34 PM

Crestview, FL

Bob: You have some beautiful plants and you have a huge amount of them. We have been getting thunderstorms like crazy lately here. I don't have white flies; but I got these flying dots, so small you almost need a magnifying glass to see them around my broccoli and the leaves look like a sniper has been using the leaves for target practice, a good sniper at that too. (sniffles). I was trying to stay organic; but......... to heck with it, what can I use that will work really fast now?
joy

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Just picked these two English cukes

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Crestview, FL

Bob: Those cukes are huge, what are you using for fertilizer???? I'm just kidding about the fertilizer, I know what you are using and it helped me have the beautiful garden I had last Spring.
joy

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

Bob,
What're those spots on the leaves in your slideshow? A newbie asked me about the same thing on some bell peppers, but I didn't have an answer.

Thanks!

Linda

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

yes, Bacterial Speck, and I'm treating it with Copper Spray

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

HERE IS THE 1st RIPE tomato of 2009/2010 season. I took a chance and planted seed July 1st. Most of the farmers down here are just planting their tomato crops now.

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Crestview, FL

Bob: (crying) I'm tasting that now, or wish I was, that tomato looks so good, I don't have any tomatoes and won't til March (sniffles), just lettuce, I feel like a rabbit these days.
joy

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Just picked these Georgia Collards for dinner tonight

Thumbnail by BocaBob

Yumm!!!! Those look good!!!!

Crestview, FL

Bob: (kicking myself in the rear), let me know how your collards go, they look wonderful, and now I wished I would have planted them instead of broccoli and cauliflower and spinach. Brrr, it's getting cold here already.
joy

Boca Raton, FL(Zone 10a)

Very busy day. The temps last night fell into the 50's and today was in the high 60's. Finally some cool weather. Transplanted 42 romaine seedlings in Agro pots and set up the self watering system for about 100 plants today. Planted carrot and beet seeds today and transplanted cabbage in grow bags. Whoa !!!

Thumbnail by BocaBob
Crestview, FL

Bob: I'm going to have to have a self watering system for about 100 plants this Spring. LOL Save some of that tubing for me, as I know I'll need more.
joy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.