October 2009

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It start to get cold and cloudy here and I just got a little bit of flu so I did took the flu shot on Friday and next day I goes to Dave's Garden RU in Parkville which I got nose running is pretty cold out there and all cyclists race so crazy! so, final got crash which I saw it oh boy I just hate see hurting or what?! So, I has to cross the caution tapes along the poles... So, it so cold and windy there... Nice peoples are friendly and help us for the load up the plants to other booth in park... I just love there and try to move there and see how bad area in North Kansas City but I just don't know any of you know the areas not south kansas city... I wish to out of city is more peace for me to garden...So, try sell house on market then wait for 60 days contract until Dec. 1... I have wait and patient! So, I try to wait until next year when springtime coming up...

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's Parkville Park (English Landing Park)... DG's Central Midwest RU...
alot of Door Prizes and plants, too! Sorry, I couldn't take some seeds which I need to move up North and I know soil is very good to grow but out here is too much leading in soil make my vegetables rots... I try my earthboxes and it work for me so it too much to buy soils at store...

I using live in Osgood and Trenton few years ago...And I know soil is real good to grow some...

Well, I have to get some rest for flu...
Take Care and blessed you all...

Rusty couldn't handle with all the cyclists which make him crazies!

Thumbnail by JuJu55
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Rusty did good despite all the people. I kept expecting him to really act up when I saw him but he was super nice to me. lol. He really did do good. :~) Get some rest and make the flu go away early!! lol

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, good new is I did sign the contract already yesterday so I hope it closing date this Friday or if not, I wait until Dec. 1...

I just got cold which my chest start to hurt then I cough alot... Oh, boy! I have already bad cold and chilly... I will fight for it and keep in good shape and healthy...

Rusty got scared of T-storm at 5 am he jump on side of my bed and shaking real bad poor thing! I calm him down and final lying down and sleep...

As I drove on North 169 hwy and took this buildings of KC and sure I remember I went on trip back in 1992...Went to see small town of Osgood which it right on central of the state near state line... Trenton, Galt and Osgood for 5 years...Grundy Co and Sullivan Co...

This message was edited Oct 6, 2009 5:37 AM

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Hey, Rusty - Our dog is scared of thunderstorms, too, and does the same thing. She jumped into our bed at 5 am, trembling like crazy - poor thing! There's no comforting her. She just gets over it eventually when she falls asleep, I guess.

Great pic of the skyline!! Congrats on contract also!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Yeah, thats a nice photo of downtown. The Missouri River over on the right, going parallel is neat too. I always did like that stretch of highway. I think there is a bridge coming up in the photo or maybe it had passed, its nice too.
Yeah, congrats on being under contract, trying to sell a house can be quite an ordeal.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Here's the bridge:

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Drive thru on the bridge:

Thumbnail by JuJu55

Yeah, thats it! I forgot the name of it, The Chouteau Bridge or The Broadway Bridge or The Paseo Bridge, something like that.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It's Broadway Bridge as show the link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadway_Bridge_%28Kansas_City%29

So, That's one I pass the bridge...

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Get ready for contest photos 2009 and here's the link:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1045955/

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I brought some bricks for my front yard which I keep forget about crocus bulbs to be plant sooner as I put 60 bulbs already...

I am not gonna to move up North because I don't have enough money to live.. So, I do is I go on trip like RU I can go...I will be happy for RU next year as I can camping up north...

Take care all I getting bad cough now and get some rest...

Rain tonight (T-storm until Friday)...

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Nice photos, Rusty! So you are not selling your house now? I have some autumn crocus blooming today. They are always a surprise as they seem to come up and open in one day. Take care of yourself and get plenty of rest.
Maria

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I sell 1 house already and which I live now I keep it case it happen... So, I go for camping for RU if I can...

If I can go to Powell Garden next year and see for Harvest...
Maybe for RU? Think about it for next year...

Freeze warnings in effect tonight!!!

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, it's going to be frost tomorrow so I did bring all my cacti & succulents in my garage already and I am wore out already so I did clean off the metal 2 shelfs and put my round pots on shelves already...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

More plants

I don't have to water this plants it will live thru the winter without water until spring time...
It's already got rain on my plants good soak then bring in the garage for temperature around 50 to 40 degrees that it won't hurt... I keep eye on my CC or TC (CC Christmas Cactus and TC Thanksgiving Cactus which it leaves different shape and EC Easter Cactus is different too) that it just start to small bud growing now (size of BB pellet)...

This message was edited Oct 9, 2009 7:30 PM

This message was edited Oct 9, 2009 7:35 PM

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Well I went out last night and forgot to bring in the plants! I trimmed back the wandering jew and some of the lower stems seem firm. Should I take our my canna's a EE now? I am thinking of leaving half in the ground to see if they come back next year.

Hey allan, long time no hear. I recently saw somewhere that Wandering Jew, (I think we're talking about the same thing) is hardy to ten degrees. Ewww... last nite it got pretty cold. I never throw in the towel on anything like that, that I've left out a little too long, and usually they are fine. Being that they were in the ground , they might ne fine, the Canna more so than the Elephant Ears. I think Canna is like a zone 7 plant and the EE is generally around zone 11. Some people leave Cannas in the ground over Winter even (with some protection), and have good success I hear. And then there is cold hardy cultivars of just about everything, so my info. up there really isn't hard and fast rules.. : )
Those EEs that I got from you last year I dug up and brought in the house yesterday afternoon.
Heres a photo of my new ditch lilies (I am a proud papa)!
Seriously, that is that big clump of them that I got from happ.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

I have left cannas out a couple of times. One time they made it, the other time they didn't. I think it depends on the severity of the winter and their location. On the east or south side of your house, or close to the house, they might have a better chance. The EE's I don't think will make it, though.

Congratulations, proud papa! They will eventually spread into big, beautiful clumps. I love ditch lilies.

All of my ee's are still outside. I will dig them up in a day or two and bring them in. One I will probably put in front of a window and let it grow all winter.

Me too, I love ditch lilies. Geez, that sounds awful calling them that. But, thats where they grow alot, and thats just more what I kno them as..lol I guess I should say daylilies or tigerlilies, but ditchlilies is so much more descriptive and sounds better to me!
I never thot about putting an Elephant Ear in the window, I might do that too.
Pepper, don't you put leaves over your Cannas?
I am gonna have some Elephant Ears over-wintering outside myself.
But, they are supposed to be hardy to zone 6, so we'll see! Here is the 'Pink china' Elephant Ear in the photo, thanks AuntB.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

I did last year but they didn't make it. It got too cold and the spot they were in wasn't up agaisn't the house it was on the property line out in the open. This year I had dwarf cannas but they didn't look good so I ripped them out.

I still haven't dug up any of my ee's yet but am gonna try tomorrow. My metallica I'm putting in the window so it can grow all winter. The rest will be cut back and into the corner of the basement.

Eeeee! I see my Daves subscription is about to end. I may be absent for a few days but even tho I am semi-penniless, I think I can find $20 eventually.
I didn't see a houseplant when I brought my houseplants in the other day and I may have killed it. Or maybe killed all but the roots, I'll wait and see, its a Snake Plant. I've always liked the Snake Plant. Its poisonous to pets and there are many cats here that aren't mine. If you've ever seen "Yes Dear", there is a big, nice one in their house.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I found this sketch book that I paint small brown iris... see bottom of the page...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Very pretty, Rusty!

Claremore, OK

Hey anybody else do a fall garden? I've got some lovely turnips and lettuce coming on.

I tried growing some different things this year, and got some fun volunteers in my fall garden. I tried growing Daikon Radish (also known as Japanese Radish) this spring.
They went to seed pretty fast this spring and some seeds escaped here and there and produced these radishes and more.

I'm going to try my hand at making a recipe for Overnight Chinese Daikon Radish Pickles. I also came across some recipes for the radish leaves.

We took down our tired out tomato plants and gathered the green tomatoes. What are you all doing to get ready for winter?

Thumbnail by darlindeb

I planted radishes and have a few coming up. How do you know when to dig them up? That's the only thing I planted for this fall. I need my garden to rest for this spring.

As for getting ready for winter, I am getting all my winter clothes out and have concrete blocks ready to put in the back of my truck when the forcast calls for our first snow. I put all the potted plants from the RU against the house so they can stay warm and next week when it warms up will dig up my ee's and bring them in.

Claremore, OK

I feel for my radishes, turnips and beets by lightly pushing a finger near the green tops. Sometimes I can see their "shoulders" above the soil.

I cleaned the pond out of the floating plants like water hyacinths and water lettuce that just turn into mush and yuck with freezing weather.

I'm getting ready to put up sticks (used chopsticks from take-out) to mark plants that I hope will come back in the spring.

Ok, that will help alot. Next week I will check out the ones that are growing and see what I can feel.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I final got the lettuce growing now and sure I was worried about the frost... So, it work still grow now and I gonna to do is get some plastic pvc pipes to make like greenhouse with clear sheet cover (try for the paint cover sheet)...

As last this spring, I has the lettuce from Sutterland and plant in the earthbox for while and it got grew flower and save for the seed this early Fall time so I cut the lettuce dead flower seed and lay to next raised bed so it final got lettuce...

Here's the lettuce

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Had hard white frost about 6 feet out from the house this morning. Funny how we have that ring around the house. Hopefully most of my flowers, except for some reblooming iris and few roses aren't that far out and will keep going.

Rusty I have never done a fall garden. It sure makes sense. Biggest problem I haven't done may veggies except for tomatoes for a long time. Can't seem to get the flowers under control to get started back on veggies. No new projects next year, need to finish the old ones!

DarlinDeb, ugggg I need to clean the water garden. Least there is sunshine today, hope it warms up some. Is Claremore near OKCity or Tulsa? I travel to those two spots all the time. I went to the botanical gardens in OKCity. Loved all the tropicals.

Solar room isn't working so well yet, the trees still have leaves so the sun isn't getting in which is not making my plants very happy!

Saw a cool plan for a pit greenhouse. Sort of like a modified cellar or a earth bermed greenhouse. Gonna look hard and heavy into that. I know I said no new projects but this has been a want for a longgggg time.....LOL

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Nice-looking lettuce, Rusty. I've never done Fall veggie gardening. You just grow them in your earthbox and cover them with plastic on pvc pipes? I had a friend years ago who had a cold frame and did fall and winter gardening in it. Your method sounds like a simplified cold frame.

No new projects, happ? Wow! Now that's self-control! I have so many projects planned, they'll take years...and the list keeps growing. LOL

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Figured out this year in order to fill like I accomplished something I just took all the stuff off the list I didn't get done....LOL Kind of like setting my clocks ahead so I won't be late...LOL Poor DH, don't know how he puts up with me....LOL Course it is easy now to say no new projects, winter is coming on.....

Actually I am in hopes I can finish some projects this winter, if we have any decent days on the weekend. I have alot of rock stuff I would like to get done.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Lettuce grew in earthbox then I put in raised bed... Raised bed which I did made it on ground that I try for test on raised bed and see it work so last early summer I build 4 different sized raised beds... Last winter, I make small cold frame with recycled old window on top of cold frame... Zucchini grew and not good then rot (that I do on test)...
I got 10 earthbox which I use for tomatoes grew good also basils has alot of seeds wow!
So, next year, I try my best to get alot of tomatoes if I try first start seed inside and see what happen if good but I try make pipes like loop to ground with small metal pole or wood pole then I cover plastic sheet over the loop and clips on loop...

I alway go to Restore place which they have recycled old windows there is so much more paints and old door it alot that I use for garden...

Rusty get so cranky and get tired of squirrel this time so squirrel ate some my bulb crocus I hope it will grow next spring ( I did plant 60 bulbs... )

Well, I have a nice sunny shine and mild windy...

This message was edited Oct 19, 2009 8:44 AM

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I went to Lowe's and got pretty cheap some price drop down so I got 4 mums, 3 pansies and mugho pine... So, I did plant it right way...

Mugho Pine:

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

New bed on front yard

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

That looks like a nice-sized bed, Rusty. Are you going to plant perennials in it in the spring?

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, I try to plant some seeds what I got for and plant seeds inside next year...

I also did plant 60 crocus in this bed on each side...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.