Tree Advice or other ideas

(Zone 5b)

Ok, these are better pics of what I have to work with. Guess I can't use tree's a big as I thought! The "idea" I have is to make the back yard natural, grass walkways through trees and flower beds. It's so bare! Along the fence to the left of the picture is where I wanted trees, 3 of them? I'd like for it to flow up to the corner I'm standing in where the lone, pruned to death tree is, and the bed to keep going to the right of the lone tree.

Thumbnail by AnnieBBB
(Zone 5b)

Another.

Thumbnail by AnnieBBB
(Zone 5b)

Another view.

Thumbnail by AnnieBBB
(Zone 5b)

Last view.

Thumbnail by AnnieBBB
(Zone 5b)

The circle in the middle of the yard has to stay for sentimental reasons. It's very windy, full sun. I have dogs who like to eat whatever they can stuff into their mouth so no nuts or thorns.
Any ideas? Thanks to the other thread for all the great pictures and ideas!

(Zone 7a)

I have some ideas but don't know what other requirements you have. Such as what kind of soil do you have? Is it fast draining or slow? Sandy, clay-y or loamy? It's a beautiful site. You said it's a windy area?

My 1st suggestion would be to check out Japanese Stroll Gardens. There's lots of info out there on them. Just type in Stroll Garden or Japanese Stroll Garden. If you can put in a water feature, all the better. Or would the dogs get in it?

(Zone 5b)

The soils is a dry clay type, hard to describe, when we build the house they of course cleared aways all the good top soil. YES, it's very windy!! I'd love to have a water feature but you're right LOL the dogs would be in it constantly! I will check out the Japanese Stroll Garden. I need to plant trees soon. It's hard to find something that isn't messy, have nuts or thorns that the dogs would get into. A friend suggested Serviceberry but I need to look it up to make sure it isn't a noxious pesky type.

Thanks so much!!

(Zone 7a)

We have clay, too. Very hard to work with. Amending is always helpful. Anything that composts and adds drainage is good, too. Wherever you decide to plant, make sure you put lots and lots of amendments in at the time of planting. Or before, if you can. If you can make your bed areas now and lay compost and amendments, it will be better for next year.

Messy trees are bad for mowing, too. Squishy or smelly fruits are a hazard, as are nuts, as you said. How do your other trees do that are in the pics? The grass looks really good for this time of year.

Two suggestions: Eastern Redbud, Cercis canadensis and Corneliancherry Dogwood, Cornus mas. I'm not sure how the redbud would do in heavy soil. You might want to check on that. They both have edible fruits but I don't know how dogs would react to eating them. There are other dogwoods that might do well there, too.

Evergreens are always nice, too. There are lots that wouldn't drop something yucky or be bad for the dogs or children.

Let us know what you decide and post pics. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

(Zone 5b)

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I gave the names you suggested to the landscape company along with a couple of others. I told him to surprise me! We have the beds all mapped out and they'll start in two weeks. I hope it doesn't get too wet, I have loads and loads of barn stone and rocks to haul into the yard and would hate to put that off until spring. I'm really looking forward to spring this year!

Thanks again!!

Annie

(Zone 7a)

Annie, I'm glad I could help. I so want to see pics next Spring!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.