CLOSED: FREE - 4 0'clock TUBERS

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

I'm doing my final roundup of the baby tubers from my very prolific 4 0'clocks. You want them? Just pay postage.

Thumbnail by Delightful_Dawn
(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

How much would the postage be? Those are SO pretty!

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

I have baby tubers and I also have some that are as large as a fist.

With it being cooler now, I could send them non-priority.

Here is the info on them:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/92/

Notice it says zone 7b to 11. Lower zones they are considered annuals.

So, at zone 6a you would probably want to tuck these tubers in peat moss for the winter and store them inside. Plant after last frost.

Dawn

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi Dawn, non-Priority sounds good to me. PLMK know much I owe you for postage. Will D-mail my info. Thanks, Susan

(Chris) Des Moines, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks Dawn, I think I'm going to pass on them. I just moved here from OK and really am not ready to store plants yet. I'll watch for more next fall :)

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Oh, I'm sure I'll have more to share next fall.

Seeds and tubers. I get a bumper crop of each.

Dawn

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Dawn, I cant wait to recieve my Tubers! I have one yellow blooming for me right now but none of the other colors i planted from seed 3 years ago ever did anything! The yellow I have was from a tuber I recieved as a gift , I am finding out that seeds may or not grow for me so tubers will be much appreciated!
Thanks Eufaula

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

you mean you were able to dig them out? When I moved here, they were already here and I could NEVER dig them out. Now I collect the seeds so I don't have so many of them next year. My youngest daughter loves to pick the seeds out.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Lili Merci - Yeah, I can dig them out if I don't let them grow TOO big. I love to gather the seeds too. The ones that get past me and sprout get harvested in tuber form. Tuck those babies in peat moss and come fall I do a give away....

Tubers are all spoken for... Closing Thread.

I'll put out another one next fall.

Dawn

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

What do these tubers from 4 o'clocks look like? I haven't seen many of those plants but when we had our first house, the neighbor had them growing as a hedge under the living room picture window(1950's rambler)and all I knew was they bloomed in late afternoon. Are they an invastive plant?

they look like a big potato! You might be OK in MD, but they drop seeds and produce new ones and you better like where you plant them because the tubers are HUGE once they are establish. They produce ALOT of seeds. I keep them in control by sending my kids out to collect the seeds. I also trim some of them down to the ground after they bloom, just cut some of them off or yank out new ones.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Pippi

I plugged Silver Spring, MD into a zone hardiness site and it says your are zone 7 or 8.

So.... LiliMerci is correct. The four 0'clocks will be perennials for you and so you need to take CAREFUL thought into where (if) you plant them.

Mine are planted in an area cordoned off from the yard. They do produce ABUNDANT seeds but I always have plenty of people ready to snatch them up. I use the time collecting the seeds as my time to unwind.

They do sprount babies with abandon but the newbies are easy to pluck out of the ground. If you are a hit and miss gardener with the weeding then this is not the plant for you.

This plant is one could get out of hand for your zone.

Dawn

(Zone 1)

Four O'clocks are pest plants here. We have masses of the white flowering ones that we can't seem to eradicate totally. This is a photo of a few tubers I pulled up this past summer, some are so huge they have to be dug with a spade!

edited to say: Four O'clocks love it so much in the south, they will even sprout if you lay the tubers sideways on top of the soil! I pulled a bunch of tubers up once and just left them lying in a sandy spot and forgot about them because I had a family emergency and had to go out of town. They just laid there for a few months, and I was shocked when I was finally able to get back to that area of the yard and saw green shoots coming up from the sides of those things! I thought for sure they would have died a natural death laying there on the ground. Those tubers are extremely hardy!

This message was edited Dec 13, 2009 7:59 PM

Thumbnail by plantladylin
Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

I don't recall my grandfather ever replanting his 4 o'clocks...they just came back...year after year after year....did have to keep them under control though or they'd take over the veggies....and I'm in zone 5

(Zone 1)

Yep, I think these things would survive in Alaska!

Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

although he planted them with morning glories and moonflowers so as he said 'my flowers are always there and always changing'
When I was little I thought it was magic.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I bought a pack of Four O' Clocks seeds the other day and it listed them as an annual. How can it be an annual when they come back year after year. My neighbor at the first house we owned had four o'clocks in the front of her house, under a picture window(Remember those from the 1950"s?)That was more like a hedge and it lived for years until next owner dug it up.

can't believe you BOUGHT a pack of seeds. I have tons. I will give you some if you want to dmail me. I have yellow, hot pink, and those multiple colors one. I think I have white too. Lots of yellow though.

(Zone 1)

They are considered annuals in parts of the country where the ground freezes in winter. In the deep south they are perennials, the tubers re-sprout each year. They self seed, thousands of seeds! The blooms are lovely and slightly fragrant but here in Florida they are invasive pest plants, and very hard to eradicate completely.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.