Georgia Farmer Relief

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I received permission for the moderators to post this. Thanks to Dave's Garden for allowing me to share this info.

A lot of farmers have been hurt by this unprecedented flooding in Georgia. While Mrs Bronx ad I were spared the fury of this freak storm, many others were not. A lot of the farmers and growers affected are small folks whose entire livelihood came from their farm.

A lot of us have it very hard right now and a buck is hard to come by. But if you are fortunate enough to have just a little bit extra that you can spare, please consider donating. Details are the link below.

http://www.slowfoodatlanta.org/slow_food_atl_news.html
I just went to the National Small Farm Conference with Judith, the woman in the video

http://www.georgiaorganics.org/flood.html
We are a member of Georgia Organics and they are at the forefront of helping the small sustainable farmer here in our state.

Take care everyone and please keep those who have been affected by this storm in your thoughts.

Thanks
BB

You can give financially at the Georgia Organics website, I did! I want to help my dear friend Judith (I'm glad you know her, Bronx Boy) and her sweetheart, Joe. They are doing one of the most brave things I know of - dropping all their more profitable things in life to gamble the life of being farmers....
Tomorrow you can also head on over to Love is Love farm for the day and physically assist cleaning up the farm. They need help with tools and bodies. I've had the flu so I'm not much good to anyone these last few days, but they need help.
The other thing Love is Love needs is compost, and any organic matter that can be composted. They lost all of their topsoil, which the previous farmers spent 25 years creating. The river took it all away and left sand. They want any healthy vegetation, truckloads of your leaves for compost if you do not use chemicals on your garden. Love is Love is not a very far drive from Atlanta, please consider giving them the very basics that you can...good dirt!

GGG

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

GGG.. Will Love is Love take leave s that not composted? I got some piles that are somewhat composted, but with all the hicckory and oaks leave s here I have tons an dtons of leave s that come down that I just burn cuz there way to many of them.

I have no way to grind em down. But cna bag them and get somebody to help haul them up there . Ther e may be some hickory and oak nuts in the mix though. Cuz I just rake and pile and burn normally.

I can check Starlight

I will let you know

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Please Do.. Cuz if they want it. I have just from the oaks and hickory trees in the driveway area I always knee deep in leaves and if they do as they come down cna bag up and if need be get some folsk from church to help rake and bag and somebody from chruch with truck and trailer to help delivery them.
Having century + trees is nice durign the sumemr for shade but it a dang pain in the rump come fall and winter.

Those leaves are manna from heaven Starlight

:-)

BB

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for this thread and the info Bronx.
Laurel

I've got bags and bins of healthy stuff for compost for Judith and Joe's farm, I just need to get out there for a delivery.

Our gardeners at Holy Comforter are hoping they need us for a day to work for them as a special gift for all Judith did for us last year. Judith helped give us two huge new raised beds and clear out or orchard area.
She is just the most wonderful person.

I just met her once and was struck by her warmness. I hope they aren't getting creamed by this rain.

BB

Oh my goodness ... came over to see what's been going on while I've been on vacation ... we've celebrated anniversary and just been bums outside of a quick beach trip. I just haven't been checking the forums like I usually do with the DH around. I'm so sorry to read this. I'm sending prayers as well as support. I wish it had been sooner. I do always support my local farmer's market. Hat's off to our farmers!!
Hugs&blessings ... ~Susan

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I got sign going up at chruch for evrybody to save and bag their leaves and then will do a major run up there.

When Katrina hit our church fileld a semi ful with food and a coupel of the deacons drov eit out there, so hoping get a s much respons e for leaves.

Thanks Starlight!

Love is Love needs any kind of green materials not previously known to be treated with any kind of chemical. ANYTHING will do - they are composting it all!

Winterville, GA(Zone 8a)

Wish I could help, but I probably only have about two buckets full of compost left. You're doing a good thing BB and everyone else who can help.
JoAnn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.