Air Cleaner/Filters

North Augusta, ON

Now that it is getting colder and I can't open the windows I'm thinking I need some kind of air cleaner. There are a hundred of them on the market ranging from $50 to over a thousand. I just want something I can put in the room we use most often and it will clear out any dust, dander and cig. smoke. Can't use the furnace kind since I have hot water heat. (boiler system)

Anybody use them? have a favourite? I can only afford tops $200.

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

Hi
This is the one I have. It works well. Sears has it in several different priced models. For cig smoke you really need a special filter thats only available in high end models.

http://www.air-purifier-power.com/kenmore-air-purifiers.html

Hope this helps.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

They create ozone and are actually more harmful to you. If you can't afford a real good one don't even bother. Whole house hepa filters are the best thing to get.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I would like to get the whole house hepa filter... just another thing on the list

I HAD the sharper image ones without the filters... the cigarette smoke gummed them up so bad they are now in the trash... if you don't smoke by them they work great though.. the one in my bedroom where we don't smoke lasted longer

This message was edited Oct 4, 2009 7:12 AM

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I had the Sharper Image one too. Crapped out quickly. HEPA is the best.

North Augusta, ON

Do the HEPA ones come in a single room size? I want clean air but don't want to have to get a bank loan for it ^_^

The Kenmore has a HEPA filter that is cleanable so you don't have to spend a lot on replacement filters. It also has different settings and an auto setting which senses dust and odors and kicks in when really needed. I think its a good deal for the price. Whole house is probably the best, like whole house water filtration but until I hit the lottery this unit does the trick for me :-)

I don't trust air I can't see. ^_^

Ha, You shouldnt have a problem then Victor, cause some days it is definitely visible:-)

North Augusta, ON

Especially when a sunbeam passes over it...

Exactly!

North Augusta, ON

hmmm...maybe I should just put curtains on all of the windows, then I'd be oblivious of any air qualities.

Unless you have bad allergies or really bad, LA-type air, I would not bother. Just open the windows or doors every once in a while for fresh air.

This message was edited Oct 4, 2009 2:32 PM

Or ceiling fans or window fans that blow both ways.

North Augusta, ON

oh I do Victor! But in January when it's -30 outside it is a bit hard!!

I know some Yankee fans who blow both ways. ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.