What are these creepy crawlies?

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

These fat buggers got that way by using my lovely Four 0'clocks as a buffet!

What are they called?

You will need to be very persuasive if you want me to not execute them.

They startle the heck out of me when I gathering seeds. Shiver....

Dawn

Thumbnail by Delightful_Dawn
North Augusta, ON

Don't kill them! They turn into humming bird moths!

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

How big are those moths? I has one the size of a small bat dive bomb me. Probably trying to get back at me for killing the rest of his family....

Sinks Grove, WV

See http://tinyurl.com/6kkzz8 for the adult moth that these caterpillars should turn into - its a white-lined sphinx moth, Hyles lineata

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Thank suunto. That was an interesting link.

Still haven't heard a GOOD reason why I should spare these creepy crawlies that love to feast on my 4 O'clocks.

Bennington, VT

They are the most beautiful caterpillars I have ever seen!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Dawn, I think I have an answer for you: lookie here for a video of hummingbird moths. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i21A5gNl3N4

They look like hummers and they are a treat to watch. As to your plants, my guess is that they will recuperate within weeks. I have several beautiful plants that are eaten by cats 1-5 times throughout a growing season. They recuperate, usually within 2 weeks. Once I realized the plants recuperated, I moved them to areas where they're not as visible and I don't count on them to be my "feature plantings". That way they can serve as caterpillar food and be pretty (if only sometimes).

Finally, I have observed that plants that are categorized as cat food, usually are the same plants which reseed or multiply easily. So Mother Nature eventually makes it up to you, lol.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Yeah, nmeekin, they are beautiful cateripillars UNLESS you are in that tranquil zone of gathering seeds and all of a sudden your are UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL with a ferocious looking creepy crawlie... You gotta admit that spike on its tail is SCAREY! Talk about messing up your meditative mood.

vossner, Four 0'clocks tend to be invasive. I have one spot one my yard that is practically surrounded by concrete that I plant them in for this reason. Can't move them to a more unobtrusive spot. And the plants don't bounce back because the chompers chomp all the leaves off. It ends up looking like green twigs. Apparently my Four 0'clocks are a tasty treat. Too bad I didn't take a photo of the destruction this year. I was so disgusted that I ended up chopping the plants to ground before the end of their season because they looked so pitiful.

What do these hummingbird moths do that is beneficial to the garden?

Dawn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.