Crape Myrtle under attack - HELP

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

What IS this nasty stuff that is sprouting on my Crape Myrtle?

Is there anything I can do to fix this problem or do I need to cut off all the limbs that have any of this stuff on them?

Dawn

Thumbnail by Delightful_Dawn
Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

This is called Crape Myrtle gall. http://www.lsuagcenter.com/en/our_offices/departments/plant_pathology_crop_physiology/plant_disease_clinic/disease_image_gallery/ornamentals/trees_shrubs/tree+diseases.htm

There is no treatment for this other than regular water and fertilization to keep the plant strong and otherwise healthy that i am aware of. Contact your local Cooperative extension service for more information.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I second that.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Will it spread to my other myrtles?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Yes it can but it's not really that big of a problem as far as I know.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

So, its just an unsightly mess but it won't kill the myrtle. The reason I asked was that the smaller branches it got on seemed to die.

Dawn

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Pretty much. I see it a lot on live oaks around here, same thing. Small branches can get killed off but it just looks bad on bigger ones. You can prune a crepe myrtle very hard if you want. I'm not sure what to do in your zone but I would probably just prune as much as I could off the tree and burn it.

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Dawn, do a search on Crape Myrtle Gall and you will get quite a bit of information.

Altus, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks everybody for all the info.

It will be getting a severe haircut this year. Poor thing. It is my favorite. Had such lovely winter bark.

Dawn

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.