October Coneflower Blooms From South Florida

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

While many of the coneflowers are winding down and taking a few months off down here, there are several which are still blooming and a few others starting a new bloom cycle. Here are a few I picked this morning to bring inside for enjoyment. These are: Echinacea's "Green Jewel", "Tangerine Dream", "Mac N Cheese", "Fatal Attraction", "Ruby Giant" and Rudbeckia "Prairie Sun".

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

The colors look great together!

Thanks Clint. For some reason my "Ruby Giant" and "Fatal Attraction" didn't start blooming this year until September. They're second year plants so I have no idea why they waited until now to get going with blooms. I guess it's a good thing since they're just getting started, and most others are winding down.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

The coneflowers here don't look great this time of year other than the hybrids of Echinacea tennesseensis and purpurea. Those are blooming again and look great.

My Echinacea "Hot Papaya" and "Marmalade" are growing well. I hope they survive winter!

LOL. In general....mine don't look that great this time of year also.....but that's expected. If they looked like this in May or June, I'd be freaking out. I've only had my Marmalade for a week and it looks "so so". Lots of its foliage has whithered up, but I do see new growth coming. Of the newer plugs that haven't bloomed yet, but are still growing, Hot Lava looks great. All three of them look very healthy and are getting large. A few of them (Primadonna White, Sundown, Pink Double Delight) have put out lots of new growth since August. I'm guessing they're going to put out around round of blooms this fall. I planted some of the Tennessee coneflower seeds about a month ago in 4 small containers. They're all about 2 inches tall right now. It's always tough to have lots of color in a South Florida yard in September & October. It's a transition period from what will bloom in the summer to what does great during the cooler months of Nov-April.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.