cold tonight

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

I canned tomatoes the past 2 days!
tonight we picked bunches of them and put em in the garage
along with all the squash and melons and LOTZ of peppers.
I dug up some of the tropical hibiscus and coleus i had in the ground and
took in all the potted stuff!(put it in the GH for now)

For me tonight is a very SAD night! I walked through the garden touching
many plants and saying goodnight till next spring!!! whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan! :(

Im so not ready for this night!!

Thumbnail by notmartha
AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Hi Dori,

I've been doing much the same as you. All our veggies are havested and either in the freezer or refrigerator or given away to friends, neighbors and our chickens. :) The veggie garden has been tilled under and today hubby and I ran tag team with me sucking up leaves with the lawn tractor and him putting them down in the veggie garden and spreading them. Tomorrow we'll spread the chicken manure mixed with pine shavings over the asparagus and in a week we'll pick up more leaves and continue to blanket the garden with them.

I planted the mums I bought. Moved a few perennials around in the flower bed. Brought in my two red fountain grasses. Geraniums are already in the house. Our next big project will be to clean out the pole barn and bring the boat out of the water and winterize it and put it in the pole barn.

The season did seem very short this year. We got a bad deal from Mother Nature I think. I won't cover the roses till November.

The only good thing about this hard freeze is the dang wasps will croak (I hope). They built a nest in the eves of our house and we foamed up their hole but some are getting in the house somehow. Hate those things.

I'm going to turn the oven on to self clean to heat the house tonight. I just do not want to put the furnace on quite yet. :)

Stay warm everyone!

Brenda

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

well I'm sitting here waiting for it to get light so I can see what froze last night I brought it the the Brugs and the begoias that I could how depresing ;0( my heat came on in the night so I know it got below 40 It is a sad time of year all right
Gloria

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

34 here, but the gardens are in a low area and they always get colder than up by the house. Grrrr..I'm not ready for this. Furnace has been on for a week already.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

It got down to 31 here last night. The house stayed warm though. It was 69 in the house when we woke up. No furnace on yet. I fell asleep early and forgot to clean the oven. :) I'll do that today instead.

It's opening day for bow season here and my son is out in the woods. One ran in front of him walking into the woods and startled him. He wasn't ready to take a shot though. :)

It's supposed to warm up to around 60 this afternoon and we'll take advantage of that and try to whittle down some more chores. At least it's not too windy.

Brenda

Winston-Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

I wish I was in MI so I could tuck my plants in for the winter! I hate being away this time of year when there is so much to do.

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

It got down to 29 here last night. We have had the woodstove on twice so far.

Oh hey....chimney was plugged with solidified creosote, than got pushed down
the chute by DH brush. So, fire was backing up. I suggested taking inside
chimney apart to raise it and wow, the stuff that came out, buckets worth.
I stuck the vacuum hose down in there to suck up the old grey dust, and now
the stove it working like a charm. Better than last year! Guess it was kinda
plugged last year.

My Hydrangeas are frozen and limp and turning brownish blackish greenish.
All my annuals turned black. the Celosias have withstood the freeze and are
still looking pretty.

We have started butchering chickens. With Gods help, maybe this weekend
we will have some extra hands to make light work of the rest of them. We
have another 100 chickens to process and 50 ducks. We really need to get
these done.

I destroyed a pressure cooked tom turkey, tried pressure cooking and the
pans won't seal, time for new gaskets, so we just got boiled turkey, which
I boned, and froze.

DH made tom sauce from romas, how come it is so sweet? What is the deal
with that? We didn't have success with the Amish paste, they were mostly green,
out and in.

We are coninuing to mulch the growing plants around the house, the little
evergreens, the rhoadies, the roses. Its amazing how much mulch you go
through. If I had to order mulch this year, I would have ordered half a truckful.
You know, one of those semi truck fulls. thats how much mulch we are
going through. Theres just no way around it, the dirt here is sandy loam and
cannot hold a teaspoon of water to save its life. the only thing that grows in it
is Japanese beetle larvae and ground squirrels.

We swopped 6 chickens butchered for a neigbor to come and put manure
from our horse pile and chicken house manure (if I can get some kids to
come and clean it out for me), put it on the veg garden and till it all in.

Next year I am going to try Doris upside down rug laying garden. The straw
did ZERO for me this year. When I didn't use mulch at all and just kept the
hoe going, the garden was better. That straw brought in more weeds than
I can believe. I will have to burn the weeds off next year a few times before
we plant. What a pain. I don't even know HOW to burn off weeds.

Our neighbor has one of those little eeny tiny tractors that can do just about
everythikng. It has a deck mower, frunt end loader, tiller, back blade, etc.
He paid $16K for it. We had a gemunga tractor, but had to sell it for the
bankruptcy, and we only got $1800 for it. sigh,

well, gonna help DH catch a few chickens that go in with the meat ducks
at nibht, andget them into the hen house where the heck they belong. they
are scratching up my gardens and my mulched areas so much I am ready
to scream already. i ALmost took out my 22 and shot the loose ones today,
a lot easier than chasing them for gosh sake. we will see what happens
tonight. with the two of us, it can't be THAT hard?

LOL
Sheri
I haven't ordered my garlic yet.

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

holy cow Sheri !!!! I just cut down some plants to night and thought I did good Its cold but not as cold as it was last night I dident lose any thing I brought the Brugs in a couple days ago but had to take them back out the wonderful smell out side is very over whelming in the house was giving me a head acke
Hope you catch those cluckers ;0)
Gloria

Sanford, MI(Zone 5a)

okay its raining ice cold water this morning !!!! guess I'm sort of glad I have to work or I'd be out in it cleaning flower beds berrrrrr
Have a good day ;0)
Gloria

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

I know our furnace is on also. My husband was cold. If it was just me I would be fine.... GGRRRR. Right along with you. I still have to cut down plants, this afternoon suppose to be little sunny? It does help with the little slimy slugs not to have the debree (?) from the plants under the sn**.... I do not want to think of it!!!! Nice photo Dori is that from this year. Foggy or snowy? We have been having some fog around here recentley too. Well chat later have a great friday. I have it off. Ronna

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

rainy and yucky here today....I'm going back to bed and getting up when it is spring.

Hastings, MI(Zone 5b)

sarv48
winter came too fast this year. we sure did have a short growing season, and a cold one.
It wasn't till the last few days of over 80 and dry that I was getting tired of it, and sweaty,
but this is so sad.

Yup, the weather man is talking about a few wet flakes for next week.

We still have to get our hose closet made.
Sher

PS DH did catch those chickens, and they are in jail in the chicken yard now. Hoorah!!!

Just those 4 chickens out decimated my nice neat beds, omg, they scratched up my
plants and littered out the mulch, omg. Its enough to make me weep.

I think this w/e we are getting friends (from China) and family to help process the birds.
That will be a thankful miracle. If we can do 50 ducks and 100 chickens, I will
be doing a happy dance. Being incapacitated is so horrible for me. I hate it. I make
life so miserable for everyone around me. Talk about going back to bed! LOL.

Oh well, this too will pass but not soon enough
Sher

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

It is cold and raining hard here. Real yuck weather. Hubby and I are going to have a slug day and just watch moving inside. I plan to make out a list of all the fall chores we have left to do yet. Yesterday we cleaned out the compost bin and hubby spread it over the asparagus patch. More leaves are coming down so when they dry up we will suck them up and put them on the beds. Still have to cut down flowers.

Sher, I wish I had your talent. We just got chickens this year and I can't even think about the day when they stop laying and we have to do away with them. I can't do it and I don't think hubby can either. We'll have to give them away I guess or run an old folks home for old hens. :) I'm not tough. I didn't get the "gene" from my mom to kill chickens. She used to do it when she was young with no problem. What happened to me? :)

Won't be long before we need to put the snow tires on the van if we get early snow this year. If we keep going like we are we'll have a white Thanksgiving. I did get my red fountain grass indoors yesterday. I cut it back. We'll see if I can overwinter it. I should have tried to save my sweet potato vines but no room in the house for them. Oh well.

Guess we'll have more time to spend on Dave's now. Have a good day all.

Brenda

Macomb, MI(Zone 5b)

Gosh Sarv...wouldn't that be great! :)...

What a pitiful day (weatherly speaking)! :)

Good day to clean though......wahhhhhhhhhh

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Clean???? I have to do that too. But I have the day off and want to be a slug like Loon!!! Am going to make some ham and augratins good comfort food! Ronna

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

picture is from spring a few yrs ago-it was foggy and we had snow!

Last night i went to saline michigan on willow road on a drilling rig
It was pretty neat to watch the "roughnecks" doing their jobs! We had one sprinkle on our way
home but that was it.
we got home at 1:30 am and up at 5:30-im so sleeeeeeeeepy my eyes are
getting heavy i feel sleeeeeepy! :)

what a crappy day too!
My gardens got frosted to the other nite its sad but the perennials look fine
and i still have things blooming =so ha ha mother nature!!!

Plainwell, MI(Zone 5b)

Oh boy you have to hand it to those roughnecks! They work hard and fast. I seen them on dirty jobs a couple of times. Wow. Do not know how they know who does what! I would much rather garden! LOL. We have to go to Spring Lake for a wedding today. Do not like to drive in the rain. Both of our daughters are in the wedding. Our daughter got married a couple of weeks ago. Now its there cousins turn. Have a great saturday everyone. Ronna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.