October in the Garden

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, whats your suggestion on rooting the cuttings? We have been having discussion on that at the GPS5! Its like 6 feet long now and man I hate to cut it, but I want to bring it indoors and have no place to hang it, although I have thought about bunching up the tails!

Here is a primrose out on our prairie

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I used to cut mine all the time. I don't have any anymore... sniff, sniff... I rooted mine in water. They were in hanging pots in trees around the pond and they would reach the ground. I would cut them back about half way. You will need to root pieces that are no longer than a foot or so, so the ends won't die back. It will grow again. Just like hair... It will grow back! LOL It will be happier being wintered over without all that length. They are hardy here, so they were about the only green thing around.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Yeah, but yer in TX, I am in the midwest! zone 5a! Oh, I will probably cut it back...just love it long! I keep hedging!

(zone correction... !)

This message was edited Oct 6, 2009 5:37 AM

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

They are hardy to 6a... you missed it by one zone!

It will grow back!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I posted a few newb pics on

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/989396/

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

The vinca grow like crazy in my zone BB. Bet you could root it and then keep it inside until next season, just root a few small ones and leave them in the water with the roots until spring.
Thanks on the collage.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I get leary of starting things in water.. my water is very hard, but I think I will give it a go.... I did ok with the thing in the house last spring, but it was sent to me in the early spring and I hedged at putting it out!

It would be awesome to have a few of these baskets!

Well, we got rain today, I think I will bring in a few more pots... Got a couple more coleus to drag up from the viranda. Comptemplating bringing in a few other annuals... got some marigolds, dianthus, snapdragons.. well guess the least I can do is enjoy them until I kill them! LO!L

This message was edited Oct 6, 2009 7:04 AM

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

I am ready to get started bringing things into the greenhouse, but it is not quite time yet.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I will have to bump up a few things in my GPS then bring them in the house! No way will they make it in winter unless they are perennials.. I have begonias out there and more coleus! There are some daylilies that I will move to the next size pot and leave them in the GH... but as for anything much more.. my annual baskets which will croak, will come in for storage to be replanted in the spring. Sometimes I get lucky and annual containers will seed themselves and all I have to do is water. come in for storage!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Still a lot out, some in, but much in bloom. Her is my salvia bed

Thumbnail by haighr
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I have been rushing around like mad.. the weather looks official for frost on Friday nite so I have been running my hanging baskets closer to the house. Dont know what all I will get in there or what it gonna have to store up in the GPS.

Heres one of my allysum baskets.. It will probably end uup in the GPS hopefully to give me seed next season....

The aroma on it is heavenly! It should volunteer re-seed itself next year... all I will have to do is water it, and pull out to transplant the overflow!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Moved my petunia baskets closer to the house too....these hopefully have reseeded like the alyssum for spring! Work ahead if all goes right!

They will get stored in the GPS just like the allysum basket and all!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Why not bring it over to the cafe and put it in the ladies lounge, it would really aromatize that place.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

OMG you have a ton of poseys!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Nah, just yer imagination! Heres one of my petunia baskets that decied to volunteer sprout this fall already!....Um, I think for grins I will bring that one in the house and put it under my grow lights!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

More window boxes that I will just leave go until spring so they will reseed. Although I will proibably dead head the marigolds. There are snapdragons somewhere neath all that allysum!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Heres s'more at the back door! These will go in the cafe...um, maybe.. room is getting tight. We will have to re-arrange things to fit!
IF we have to hang them from the chandileirs...!

Ok, Im pooped...Im going to the cafe for a bite... I hear the Sweet Dog is the lunch special

Christchurch, New Zealand

pink flower

Thumbnail by dalfyre

another anemone

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Lily of the Valley

Thumbnail by dalfyre

I love these flowers...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

my rhodie is starting to flower

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Dalfyre,

I love that flower also... (The 4th pic) Do you know what it is?

the blue?
Anemone Lord lieutenant...
I posted a pic of it earlier but this is of it fully open.
I have a white ranunculus coming into bud at last...
I planted it with the anemones thinking the blue & white would look nice, not sure if I will get the effect I hoped for.
I may have to shift them around later, put them all in one bed for a massed effect.
Not ever having grown them I wasn't sure how much space to allow
And for a complete contrast to the blues & pinks in the garden I just have to look up...

the Chilean Flame tree is aptly named

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes, the blue! It is very pretty... anemone. I think I taried to grow some once, but I think they don't like Texas... I will look it up and see if we are too hot.

white ranunculus

Thumbnail by dalfyre

garden path

Thumbnail by dalfyre

looking toward the house, the window is where I sit a the puter & look out at my poppies etc

Thumbnail by dalfyre

and on the sunny side of the house

Thumbnail by dalfyre

differently coloured nemesia - one of my volunteers.
I don't mind that it isn't true to the parent.
In fact I am thrilled to get something so pretty for free ^_^

Thumbnail by dalfyre

another colour nemesia

Thumbnail by dalfyre

and again...
but this one I bought, a sickly orphan that has given me a few cuttings...
doesn't seem to flower as prolifically as the others.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

roses have grown...
must feed them!

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

All are beautiful, Teresa. But I love that hot pink one - what is it? I also looked up some nemesia to buy, but could only find the blue one. I would rather have a white. But if you say that the offstprings may not be true to the parents, maybe I can get some non-blues from blues?

who knows, maybe you can...
I only bought the white & blue.
Later I added the two tone one.
So the other two colours must have been from seed.
The pale one is really growing on me, I will have to take cuttings so have more of it.
It looks so nice in the shady garden, stands out better than the blue & is softer than bright white.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

That "sickly one looks like a snapdragon to me! Very pretty purple!

Very lovely pics there and a beautiful garden too!

I am still "packing it in" for the fall here..."

Booted my pepper pots out of the laundryroom to the porch to enjoy this "warm" day....before its their last!

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

You are really coming into season there Teresa how lovely to see such springy colors when we are sitting by the fire!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Teresa - thnaks for the info on the nemesia. But, I still want to know that that hot pink spiky flower that is in the sunny side of your yard LoL

I had to ask on the Aussie forum but it looks like pretty pink is an ixia
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/55823/

funny I thought that was something else I have but now will have to label some of my pics in photo bucket so I know what is what instead of being dazed & confused

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Teresa - those are totally unlike any ixia that I have seen. They have such long, arching stems and don't have the dark centers.. You must have a very different variety. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for those - I love them. I am going to be busy planting this weekend - peonies, dahlias, and a box of 8 perennials that I mail ordered came in yesterday.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.