October in the Garden

Christchurch, New Zealand

Hard to believe that September is over all ready.
A wander around the garden this morning uncovers a few spring plants still blooming happily, others need dead heading - the daffodils are well past it!
There still a risk of late frost here...
so it is possible if you in the Northern hemisphere have an early frost at the same time we may all wake to an icy start on the same day...
stranger things have happened ^_^

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Aquilegia - aka Columbine

Thumbnail by dalfyre

bright yellow freesia

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Nemesia - these are a huge hit with me, they flowered non stop until late winter.
After a brief slow down they are away again.
They have a pleasant scent, almost like vanilla & strike easily from cuttings.

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Lovely photos. Now if only I knew someone close by that has your type of nemesia that I can take cuttings from. Suitable for cut flowers, blooms in early spring to late winter, and is fragrant. What more can you ask for??

the nemesia has been developed to take the place of pansies...
well I have them both in together & will see how that goes.
It might be worth buying some nemesia, one or two plants will give you plenty of cuttings to fill a border.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

Gnorman at work

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I love him!!

Gnorman was a house warming gift from my sister-in-law's parents.
I shifted here November 1999.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

How refreshing to see spring flowers. So your freesia come back every year? Not even close to being hardy here and I had a heck of a time trying to grow them even in containers, only got a few after planting many.
Gnorman is a character I bet!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, here I have toad lilies going gangbusters!

Those freesia are gorgeous. I never can get them to do anything for some reason.

Last night we had rain again....that should make for some nice fall color.

Our poplars are about nude. The rest of the woodland is still very green but with faint brushes of color starting to appear.

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

more toads

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

A pink tea rose going for its final bloom before winter

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Sedum autumn joy

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

pretty toad lilies BB and nice rose. I still have a lot of roses blooming and the dahlias going strong and the zinnias. I noticed yesterday a few dianthus blooming again.
dalfyre forgot to mention before that I love the purple columbine quite striking.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

My sedum is finished already, nice to see yours.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

The sedums here are waining. The grasshoppers have attacked some. I dont have many roses. That pink is an oldie from my hubs mothers flowers. We brought it with us when we moved.

Those toads sure surprised me today with their bloom! I swear they popped overnight!

Heres the waining of the foliage from my peonies! The colors in the leaves are pretty cool. Its kindof depressing to see so little blossoms anymore and watching everything going to sleep for the winter. So watching what dalfyre presents will be a joy for sure!

There is joy in dying, if only for the reserrection in spring!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Whats hip in my roses...this was my lovely red longstem rose, also from the old garden.. all 3 roses of those are probably about 50 years old. if not older.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Bee on aster...break out yer specktickles... hes a bit of a fast worker and a bit blurry, dang it!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, maybe the pink caterpillar will find a bit of color to roost on....

well, thats all for now.. I think I will head on out to the cafe..

that caterpillar is an interesting colour.
The only ones I see here are green...
usually the kind you don't want munching on your blossoms.
I would like a swan plant one day to attract monarchs, I will wait until the cat is too old to catch them.
I hate seeing their mangled corpses.
At least she is too daft to catch birds - her idea of hunting is to run full speed at them mewing all the way.
And I am grateful for that as I love the visiting birds too.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Do you have milkweed for your monarchs? That is the one plant they need here to survive.

This time of year we get wooly worms. They are fuzzy black or brown or black and brown or some are even just pure white. Some people claim they predict winter. This year I have only seen one so far. It was brown.

I have no clue as to what that pink caterpiller was. I just caught him mossying on that branch and thought he was rather neat! So pink and naked in the middle of fall!

there was a plant we called milk weed that grew up in Auckland when I was a child, I have never seen it here.
Normally swan plants are the only things that the caterpillars will eat.
Here is a pic of my new clematis...

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Oh, that is lovely!

Milkweeds here are also called asclepias...

I have a few blooms today... Here is a couple lonely florettes on my forsythia! The leaves on the bush are in magnificent fall color. The blooms are very few. They normally bloom in the spring

There was a lovely forsythia just over the garden wall but the new neighbour bulldozed the garden & sadly it was one of his victims.
There are several in my street that have been blooming for weeks - they do make a bright splash.

There is an October thread in the Aussie forum that has some lovely blooms featured.
Wander over & say hi & get your fix of pretty flowers :)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1043675/

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

Lovely clematis dalfyre. Isn't it funny BB how some things come back at the end of the season like forsythia. I have azalea in bloom and a daylily and lots of other things, you just would not expect for october?

pretty pink, even nicer when it opens...

Thumbnail by dalfyre

orange is not really a favourite colour of mine but these poppies are so vibrant in this once dull weedy corner

Thumbnail by dalfyre

the corner still needs work, plenty of weeds lurking but at least there are flowers too

Thumbnail by dalfyre

red peony

Thumbnail by dalfyre

'blue poppy' anemone,

Thumbnail by dalfyre

white aquilegia

Thumbnail by dalfyre

anemone 'lord lieutenant'

Thumbnail by dalfyre

blue aquilegia

Thumbnail by dalfyre
Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

That blue anemone is striking. Orange not my favorite as well but sure is a lot of what I have now and works great in the fall arrangements.
Here is a little collage of some of what I have still blooming and there is lots more than I though in addition to these dahlia, cactus dahlia, daylily and malva. Also have clematis blue and star white and russian sage and one single azalea, will post others soon.

Thumbnail by haighr
Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

My Endless summer hydrangea held onto its bloom all summer.. it is now pink andgreen when it opend blue! Myu snowball bush had a small bloom on it last week for anothe short fall bloom!

Here is my vinca.. it does not bloom.... Still have not cut it back... of so hard to want to do!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well thats neat haighr!

love that collage haighr!
the blooms are all lovely.

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

BB, the vinca will love being cut back. It will be fuller and where you cut them they will fork and make two runners. just cut them at a node. You can shorten them any amount you want to, but it will be happy when you do! and you can root all the cuttings.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.