Deck maintenance - general question

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

I would like to understand why I have to pressure wash a deck and what happens if I don't.

We have treated pine. It was once upon a time painted with something, but that is long gone, and the wood has acquired a gray hue. I power washed a lot of it today and yesterday, and that takes off most of the gray layer. However, there are also lots of dark green areas, which I assume are algae or molds/mildews. It is very hard to remove them - I use a bristly brush and it comes off as a greenish liquid.

Since I have done so much of it already and since I also already have some deck paint, I will finish the job at least in the exposed areas.

If I did not do any of this, what would happen?
Is there a better method (non-toxic) to remove the green stuff?
How often should one (if one should) wash and/or treat the deck?
No matter what I do, there is green stuff between the boards, will that "eat" into the wood, even if the top is painted?

Obviously, I am trying to get out of this awful job, but on the other hand, I also want to be sure that I am not loosing value if I turn lazy?

DH is much more lackadaisical than me, I want to do it right, if I have to do it.

Your ideas will be much appreciated.

C.

This thread has 4 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!