Yellow Canna Bloom with Orange Spots ID Anyone?

Blue Ridge Mtns, VA(Zone 7a)

This one never set seeds so I'm thinking it must be a hybrid. Average mature height reached 5', some grew a bit taller. The blooms self-clean nicely.

Thumbnail by FruitOfTheVine

Here's the base of one of the plants putting out new shoots. The leaves are outlined in pale creamy Yellow.

This photo shows the upright sunny Yellow blooms spotted with Orange.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

It looks to be c. 'Richard Wallace'. It does not set seed.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Here's one of my 'Richard Wallace' blooms.

Thumbnail by DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

And here is another.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

And the foliage.

Thank you both! One of my neighbors handed me 4 bags of Canna rhizomes last Spring that she'd sorted by color & height.

DP, you had me worried for a minute -- your first bloom shows so many more spots than mine have ever had, but your second photo looks like a match to me, including the leaves.

Just took another pic.

This message was edited Sep 30, 2009 5:53 PM

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

That first one may actually be a Cleopatra. I have both.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Your first photo does look to be the yellow flower of 'Cleopatra' :)

Cleo has become virused just about all over in the last years, which just sucks ): ..
as it is one of the most beautiful cannas (in all it's versions) .. ever!

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

becomed virused?? please tell me what that means as I have them in my garden.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I have two versions of it and fortunately neither of them have the Canna virus. I have a Hercule that is virused, but it's in a bed by itself and with enough fertilizer and love the virus hardly shows. I've found that bone meal and chicken manure along with lots of water helps mask the virus.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

How do you know it has a virus, tho?

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

The botanist on campus at the college I work at diagnosed it.

The symptoms, as he pointed out, were brown leaf edges, yellowing on the stalk and general listlessness of the plant. (not as vibrant).

It still shows some of the symptoms, particularly when the stalks and scapes get a little old, but the new growth barely shows any.

If you have a Canna that shows it you should immediately get rid of it, IF it's in the bed with other Canna. If it's the only one, you can do like I do and just 'baby' it.

One word of caution. If you decide to keep a virused Canna, PLEASE don't share rhizomes with ANYONE. YOU'RE the only one you can trust to not infect other plants with it!!!!

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

Ok, thank you for explaining! Thankfully all mine
Are healthy.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

DesertPirate ..
I wound up getting rid of all the virused cannas and going to all clean as having virused ones growing with the clean is just too risky for me and I don't have time for the extra care.

If your Cleos are truly unvirused, I would be interested to get a start from you.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

My Picasso canna's are getting EXTREMELY top heavy and before all the flowers open, they start to topple over.. I need to stake them up, but what would be the best stake??? they are stanking about 36" and my Cleopatra's are starting to topple over too. They are both very pretty, very healthy, and can't wait till I have enuff to share, but if they keep falling over, I won't have any.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

I've never had that happen. Is it possible they're over-watered?

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

nope. . they are all watered the same. . once a week by sprinker system unless it's terribly hot ((oh yeah. . we're in FLORIDA)) *LOL* so I give the whole bed a lil shower with the hose once a week sometimes. it's not bending low to the ground. . more like 1/2 way up the stalk.

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Sometimes cannas will do that. Especially after it's been hot and dry for awhile.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.