Searching for a Name

Littlehampton, Australia

I was wondering if anyone recognizes this plant. It is a bulb from South Africa which has large glossy green leaves in spring and early summer with brilliant orange flowers in Autumn on short stems. I used to call it "Elephant's ears" but that is obviously incorrect courtesy of this web site.

Thumbnail by swampyM
barmera, Australia

I think it might be called a Blood Lily SwampyM. Haemanthus. Colleen.

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Hi Swampy. This plant is Scadoxus, once classified as Haemanthus, belonging to Plant Family Amaryllidaceae.

There is a lot of information on this plant in "Garden Bulbs for Australia and New Zealand"; James Hitchmough ISBN 0 670 90131 8.

Presently the leaves are as you describe. It is a very unusual plant. I was lucky to be given a bulb three years ago that has now multiplied to two. Quite slow I think

Haemanthus (Paintbrush Lily) are interesting as well.

I hope this information helps. You will find much more on the web.

barmera, Australia

Thanks for clearing that up Wayne. My books are out of date. Sorry SwampyM. Colleen

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Colleen, I am yet to find the correct species name! :)

They are great plants.

The Haemanthus (Paintbrush, Blood Lily) that I have, has just come to its end of flowering. I hope to collect seed. Last year a sulphur creasted cockie bit off all the flower heads! :((((

Presently the Scadoxus has four sets of leaves and is looking very healthy cramped in an 8" plastic pot. The lady who gave it to me said they liked to be tight in the pot. I think I will take a look later when it is dormant and see how it is going down below.

Hopefully it will flower well and produce seeds too.

barmera, Australia

Wayne, would it be Scadoxus punicsus? Colleen

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Hi Swampy...

Was the information Colleen and I posted here of any help?

I finally got around to take a photo of the Scadoxus we have here.

Jury still out Colleen. Not sure yet as to the species. Maybe someone here will know.

I am going to keep this plant in pot culture as the leaves tend to lay on the ground and would rot. I think it would work in the ground with a gravel mulch, something inorganic. Snail protection for sure.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.