October Rose Bush Maybe?

Gainesville, FL

I was given this and told it was an October Rose. I loved it but it did not last the winter in Gainesville, Fl. I have searched and search and can't find anything that looks like it and nothing in a tree or bush that is called October Rose.

Thumbnail by florida254
NW/Central , IL(Zone 5a)

Hi Florida 254,
It looks like a Hibiscus Radiatus "October Rose." Also known as Ruby Hibiscus, or Monarch Hibiscus. The leaves on your plant look a bit young, possibly causing them to look more purplish than a larger more mature plant. They are perennial in zines 9-11.

Gainesville, FL

Quote from quaintcharm :
Hi Florida 254,
It looks like a Hibiscus Radiatus "October Rose." Also known as Ruby Hibiscus, or Monarch Hibiscus. The leaves on your plant look a bit young, possibly causing them to look more purplish than a larger more mature plant. They are perennial in zines 9-11.

I am so sorry I did not respond to this sooner. I get lost trying to find my way back to my listings but have now found that Dave's Garden makes it easy.

I think you gave me a key word here that the leaves look a bit young causing them to look more purplish. I have found the Ruby Hibicus and believe it to be the one.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

Hibiscus seem to take forever to come up in the spring, at least here, so it may be that it did survive but was pulled up too soon? I am bad for doing that, not patient enough, as the plant matures over the years it gets a better root system and will come up somewhat quicker in the spring. They need really warm temps to start growing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.