What influences Cosmos colors?

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

I planted white and picotee and the blooms are mostly all magenta with a couple plants with lighter centers. They're in clay soil with a high pH and I may have accidentally fertilized them a couple of times when I was fertilizing the other plants. They're healthy but not getting a lot of blooms.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I wish I could tell you but I noticed when I planted the magenta/pink/white mixes of cosmos that the darkest color tended to be dominant. Maybe the paler colors are recessive color traits like blonde hair and blue eyes are for people.

I had the same thing happen with 4 o'clocks. I get a mix pack and even when a few yellow and white plants would come up early on, by the end of the season the dark pink ones were the last plants standing.

Bloomwise, in my area it has been a cooler than average summer and cosmos tend to thrive in blistering heat as long as they get a drink every now and again. This year was cooler and we had more rain so that may have played a part in the lack of flowers.

Summertown, TN(Zone 7a)

I had my cosmos planted around an old dead stump. One one side were "Picotee" cosmos, and on the other side of the stump were cosmos "Sensation Mixed". The "Picotee" came up well and bloomed profusely, and the dark pink "Sensation" did beautifully, but there were only a few white or light pink cosmos that bloomed. It seems to be true that the darker color dominated, and I would be interested in all answers on what influences the colors, as well. I even had a strange striped cosmos come up amongst the "Sensation" side of the stump - I dunno where that came from!

Thumbnail by happyNdirt
Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

They've bloomed a lot more this week, I've since had completely white blooms, so I have white ones, magenta ones, and "picotee" ones with mostly the magenta edge color. The pure white plants were definitely slower to flower. They're all pretty anyway :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.