GYPSIES REMEMBER BASIL

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

Time for a new thread....other one filled up fast....back to our roots so to speak...grin

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

was that where you started the Band? The lupine's basil thread?

That's a good Robbie Robertson song, Moon. Oh, that's Go Back to your Woods. Never mind about that.

Canton,IL &Dent Coun, MO(Zone 5b)

my brain hurts from trying to keep up

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Is that what blooming basil looks like!!!

Dave, I remember you telling us the name of those little hills. I know they have something to do with a volcano but how does a little hill form??

Smiley, I know your name is Julie because JJ is Judy!! Just got it mixed up I guess.

I left the door open when I was digging in my garden. I came in and it was only 73 degrees but the humdity in the house was 48%! It should not be over 40% so I have the
AC on and it is going to get pretty chilly in here soon.

Trina, that's not like you, having a hard time keeping up. You usually are running circles around all of us and other threads. Aren't you feeling well today? Is there a plant in the big pot you want moved or is it the empty pot for Dave's seed that he is sending you that will be a 10' tall plant?

all dressed up for the day

Thumbnail by trinawitch

it's an Oleander I need moved big plant...and I will make room for Any seeds Dave sends me...I know hav some pots to put them in

Thumbnail by trinawitch
Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

That's OK Venice. Yes, Trina doesn't seem to be her usual perky self today.

Good luck with the icicles.

I'm perky, just I don't know I started the double of the chantix and I just feel "off" and I want to finish planting somethings but I still have to move some plants around in order to continue

Hey Venice, JJs Is Pam....Seed is Judy....too many J's to keep up with LOL

Julie, I have a couple albums by Robbie Robertson....love his native melodies...and he was pretty good with the Band also, grin...

Yes ma'am, that is what basil going to seed looks like

Keaau, HI

The hills are tephra (cinder) cones. They form from gases being mixed with lava under intense heat in the ground to the point where it explodes and sends the cinder high into the air. By falling back down the cinder forms a hill, where the explosion was.

The top photo is snow on Mauna Kea in 1998.

The lower photo is snow on Haleakala in 1987.

Thumbnail by Metrosideros
(Zone 5b)

here's my basil, still going strong out there....

Thumbnail by Lynnie6868

lynnie I see lots of seeds...hint hint

Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

OK, just catch up again and need to get to bed.
Late getting to bed today and on here....... Car problems ugh!
I hate cars. I want to go back to the days of horse and buggies.

Nite, probably see you on the next thead.

night Kassy

(Zone 5b)

Hi Kassy! You know where you can drive horse & buggies...Amish country! lol
Trina, I'll examine this basil carefully, but you may have to point out the seed to me....

(Zone 5b)

cool pictures Dave, as always. Snow in HI, how fun is that?? :)

Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

She can't Lynn, but I can.........LOL
Ask Jim. I sent him some seeds

Lynnie see all those flowers on the top of your basil, when those start turning brown they bretty much are the seed..Moon I know I'm not explaing this well enough

Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

wow, seeing i had to tell you where the seeds on the sweet williams are, i'm impressed trina ^_^

Marinette, WI(Zone 4b)

I'm gone

Thumbnail by kassy_51

hey I do know some things

(Zone 5b)

I just picked up the mailing envelopes for the other seeds. I 'll check out the basil & see what I can do. Is it blowing all over my yard now? lol I'll have sweet basil everywhere.

nah they dont become seeds until they start to turn brown

Keaau, HI

Some more old photos.

Left is the National Park in 1990. Top right is Taro in Hilo in 1993; below is a paper I had accepted for publication on the "Anti-microbial Sensitivity Testing of Prepared Extracts from Hawaiian Plants".

cool pics Dave...love the hair...got one of it down?

Did I get everyone's name mixed around again! I even have all names written down!!!

Trina, your little princess is so pretty today!!

Your basil is absolutely lovely!!! And it is even nicer now. When those pretty flowers dry up, I would just love some of the seeds. (I haven't forgotten about your seeds. I am just slow!)

Dave, cool photos! Those tephra (cinder) cones, are they all cinders or do they have lava rock under them? Have you ever seen one explode? Or are they fairly old?

I put her little doggy raincoat on her this morning to take her out

Ahhh, we missed her raincoat pose.

Keaau, HI

Here is the beginning of the Fall Basil crop.

Pesto on the way!

it didn't last long she ddn't want nothing to do with it or the rain

(Zone 5b)

mmm I can smell it from here...wait that's my basil...
Trina I don't blame her I don't like wet feet either ;)

you know dave pesto is one of my faves

I am so jealous of all you people that have a fall growing season!!!!

Dave, so what are you going to do with all that basil? What type did you plant? I suppose there is a HI variety.

Trina, puppy doesn't like her raincoat?

I guess I could torment her some more and put her shoes on her

not at first she didn't

Trina, I thought you said that she liked her clothes.

Keaau, HI

The cinder cones are all cinder, with a little ash mixed in. You don't want to be near one when it explodes. That caused the evacuation and destruction of the town of Kapoho in 1960.

The Basil is the common Sweet Basil used for cooking. There will be a couple rows planted for Pesto and other pasta sauce.

Clockwise from top; the UH Hilo Greenhouse in 1990; lava taking the town of Kalapana in 1990; and the last time I got to see my grandmother in 1994.

Know you must miss her Dave. Did you wind up in Hawai'i because you went to college there?

Keaau, HI

Came to Hawai'i to see the plants. Studying plants got me interested in going to school.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.