Need understory trees for zone 4

Brewster, MN(Zone 4b)

My poor old grove is thinning and needs help! The existing trees are mostly ash, box elder, maple and cottonwood. I'm trying to remove the trash trees, mulberry and the dreaded buckthorn. I'd like to add conifers for windbreak, shrubs for same plus wildlife and maybe small trees for color. But zone 4, dappled shade and deer limit my choices. Any suggestions out there?

Danville, IN

The best deer-resistant and shade-tolerant evergreens would be boxwood, inkberry (Ilex glabra), and some of the junipers, especially the old variety 'Blue Pfitzer'. Probably the best boxwoods for your zone would be 'Wintergreen', 'Chicagoland Green', and 'Green Mountain'. Otherwise, hemlock and yews are great for shade, but I hear deer like them.

Note: There are actually two boxwood cultivars called 'Wintergreen'. Don't get the shiny leafed one, but rather the one with narrow, dull-green leaves. It will grow well in the shade and I have some that are approaching 6'. Ask a good local nursery about them. I can get the Latin name for you.

Peoria, IL(Zone 5a)

Eastern Redbud and Flowering Dogwoods are understory trees that would add color. I just put some in under my Maples here in zone 5a. Not sure about deer though.

Danville, IN

Great flowering shrubs for shade include Summersweet (Clethra), Witchhazels, Oakleaf hydrangeas, Sweetspire (Itea), and most of the viburnums. Climbing hydrangeas do wonderful in shade. However, none are deer-resistant.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.