Japanese Yellow Sage

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Salvia koyame is blooming great. First time I've grown it and it's a keeper !

Thumbnail by mjsponies

Mine is in full bloom now and it is quite an impressive display of yellow color. Yours looks better than mine LOL do you get seeds in your koyame plants? I've checked mine for several years now and have never seen a good seed in the flowers.

Joseph

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

It must like our hot humid south. Yes, let us know if it sets seeds....

Elaine

This is the first year I've grown it. I've got it where it gets dappled sun / full shade then dappled sun again. At first I thought I was just going to have this big flat plant that didn't bloom. The leaves are huge. I'll look for seeds. And I will definitely be doing cuttings.
It's listed as one that likes hot humid weather in the Salvia book I have. My Forsythia Sage isn't blooming tho. I think it may not be getting enough sun. I'll probably move it to a sunnier spot next year, or plant two ! in different spots and see which does better. It's hugh tho, about to eat the flower bed !
mj

Candor, NC

Salvia madrensis should bloom later. It is usually one of the last to bloom before frost.

S. koyamae does tend to become a thug under shady conditions. It will be better behaved with more sun.

I'm up for any Salvia's that can take more sun here in Florida. I'm running out of shady spots.

Eupora, MS

Glad the baby I sent you bloomed..really pretty..taller bloom than it's mother.

Carolyn

Hey Carolyn !
Yup, I love it ! Have several spots I could use it in too !
Carolyn do you get seeds on yours?

I spoke too soon about the Forsythia Sage, flower spikes are forming now.

Eupora, MS

This is my second yr. with it and haven't looked for them..should..it multiplies well. I have just given a couple of people starts. Need to try the forsythia sage again..had it a few yrs. ago and lost it.

Carolyn

Kannapolis, NC

MJS: What is the name of your Salvia book? I've been looking for a gardening book on nothing but Salvias and haven't found one. TY

Angie

Angie,
The one I have is The New Book of Salvias by Betsy Clebsch. There's another one by someone else but I don't remember the name of it now.
mj

Kannapolis, NC

MJ: TY for the heads up on your book. I'll check it out on Books-A-Million.

Angie

London, United Kingdom

Angie,

Check the LINKS page on my website www.robinssalvias.com where Salvia books are listed.

Also check BOOK REVIEWS on Richard's site.

The best is probably the one by Christian Froissart....but it is in French, worth it alone for the photos.

Robin.

Kannapolis, NC

Robin: TY for the tip also. I've managed to find books devoted to various plants: lavender, roses, daylilies, hydrangeas, but so far had found nothing on salvias. I just knew there had to be something out there. I will check out your site and Rich's reviews.

Angie

Kannapolis, NC

Robin: I just tried to send you a note of appreciation for your web site, which I love touring, and my message was rejected. I'll try again later, as it may be a problem on my end. Lovely salvias. Thank you for your generosity.

Rich, you, too. Both you guys are my salvia gurus!

Angie

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

I agree that we are very lucky to have such wonderful experts on this forum. When they give an answer you can be sure it is correct..
And on those rare occasions they aren't 100% sure, they will let you know that too....

London, United Kingdom

Hemophobic, thanks for your kind comments! I did not receive anything from you on my site, think that the email area is ok, as have received other mails.

teacup754, thanks also! I do not consider myself as an expert, just an enthusiastic amateur! I get very muddled and confused sometimes......eg I now have 4 different plants which may all be forms of S. stachydifolia!!!!! All are tuberous and related, but all different!

Robin.

Kannapolis, NC

Whew, Robin! Reassuring to know that even someone with your expertise and knowledge gets confused like the rest of us mere mortals! LOL

I can't tell you how many times I've mislabeled things, and this while trying to be careful not to do so!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.