ID These MGs Please

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

I have two that have just shown up in my yard. I left them to grow to see what they'd become, and here is one of two. Both have put out seeds, so I collected a few just to have on hand for next year.

Any idea if these have a name? They're pretty in that they seem to have a star in the center at the creases.

Thumbnail by jlj072174
Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

And here is the second one. They may be the same, and the lighting is just different, but they're growing on opposite sides of my yard.

Thumbnail by jlj072174
Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Forgot to mention ... I didn't plant these. They just showed up ... my guess is they were "dropped" by a little birdie.

Thanks much for any help you can provide in identifying these two.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

They're pink purpurea's both of them. One a dark rosy rambler
and the other a lighter version. Both are variations of Crimson Rambler.
Love the darker one.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

jlj072174 - Welcome! I agree with Jackie ... looks like different variations of Crimson Rambler to me: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51631/

Raleigh, NC(Zone 8a)

Thanks so much for the info. I don't know anything about morning glories, though in glancing through the pictures on here, they are so pretty (I love the blue varieties!).

These are putting out seeds, so I'll save some in case anyone might want some, or for starts next year. These plants just came out out of nowhere, but I don't want them going too nuts in my yard and choking other things out. Perhaps a few of them in pots next year placed in strategic areas of the deck might be nice. :)

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

jlj - You are right about those I. purpureas getting a little aggressive. Pots work great for that species of MG! Yours are very pretty! Sounds like the birds left you a surprise this year! :-)

(Daniel) Mount Orab, OH(Zone 6b)

Love that Dark Crimson Rambler!!!

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

Very pretty, now u r hooked. welcome to the world of morning glorys!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.