What is this?

W of Cleveland, OH(Zone 5a)

This is growing around 2 of my clematis this morning? Any ideas? Mold? What to do? Edited to add: These are growing in the shade. Snails (I'm pretty sure) were feeding heavily on Candida and a little bit of snail granules did'nt seem to be working, so I put them down pretty thick. Now I'm wondering if they molded.

This message was edited Sep 24, 2009 8:50 AM

Thumbnail by dathen

Well, after my initial panic, I did some research and what I've found is that I've probably been overwatering - although I don't water these too often because they are in the most shade. The suggestions were to let dry out and/or to use a garden fungicide.

Sorry to be a bother.

Dathen

Ravenna, OH(Zone 5b)

Could be both. I found that I would get mold growing sometimes when I would put down that granular slug bait for my hosta's. I know it's not the same thing, but maybe a somewhat similar situation? I haven't had that problem this summer, but then we've had a rather dry summer here and I don't use that particular slug bait brand anymore. Just watch the watering, and put down the stuff a little more sparsely and see if it helps.

Baton Rouge, LA

I'm curious if everyone is using the same brand that has this problem. There are several who mentioned having mold form on the slug/snail bait in another thread too. What brand did you use?

kentstar - I did use the granular snail/slug bait. I'm not sure which brand, Evey, it's in the shed and it's dark out there, but I'll check in the morning. Interesting.

Just did my morning rounds. The snail bait is "ORTHO - ecosense brand - snail and slug bait". I use the same thing for hostas - can't say that it works too well for the hostas, but maybe I just don't use enough or often enough. Having so much shade, I have some hostas in most of the beds and I sometimes get lazy about treating all of them.

Mold is gone today. I ended up not using the fungicide - company sorta' got in the way.

Grayslake, IL(Zone 5a)

I was using plain Sluggo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.