The Unknowns: Do You Recognize These Dahlias?

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Thought it would be nice to have one place to put photos or ask questions about NOIDs or unknown/lost named dahlias in an attempt to ID them.

I have this growing and it's a wonderful, fully-petaled, stout-stemmed monster of 7-8" in pale peach/orange with yellow to the inner center. Very tall at 6'. It might have come from the ice cream guy, but if any DGer gave it to me, I'd love a name!

Thumbnail by Poochella
Van Etten, NY(Zone 5a)

No idea, but it really is beautiful!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

could it be "Castle Drive"?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It looks alot like Cafe au Lait to me but you have that one Pooch so not it.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Good guesses both, but it's too peach vs pink for Castle Drive and too puffy and colored differently for Cafe Au Lait, but you remind me that I want that one back, Dnut! Pretty and unique color there. I looked at HD and Lowe's especially for Cafe Au Lait, but not meant to be this year.

I'm looking at larger suppliers' sites for possible IDs. Camano Bram is one that caught my eye (bearing in mind that my limited sun affects colors and sizes a lot.)
http://www.dahliasuppliers.com/accent/gallery2/pages/Camano%20Bram_1_jpg.htm

Possible?

Thumbnail by Poochella
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think the Camano Bram might be too peachy (although peachy keen). My most exciting Unknown this season was purchased as Margareth Kleene. Totally NOT but it's stunning. True border as only 1 foot tall. (Jo North if it's tuberlifik one of these will be living with you next year)

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

And remember I said I was going to banish my NOID that I named Sunsavior? It obviously heard me and is 'dancing for its life'. I would luv to ID this one too. oops forgot to describe it: 3 foot plant, consistent 7" blooms.

This message was edited Sep 24, 2009 8:08 PM

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Dude - I have the same not-Margareth Kleene!!! I'm trying to remember where I got it. I don't think I got it from you; maybe Veseys because it seems to me I ordered their border dahlia collection and that was one of them.
Anyway - I love it too - it's gorgeous!!!

Jo North

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Got mine at Veseys Jo North, a late spring bargoon on dahlias. We are sooooo in the Land of the MisNamed Dahlias. Methinks this could be better than a Narnia movie cept I'm scared of the Ice Queen

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Not Margareth Kleene reminds me much of Fidalgo Julie a stellar 3' tall though, with dark reddish reverse and golden orange frontpetals.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/135134/

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

The bloom is really close Pooch but this one is definitely height challenged.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Is it Legend?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

MakshiI 'm not familar with Legend and it's not in PF. Do you have a pic?

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Sorry don't know where I got that. I meant Intrepid.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Intrepid is too tall too makshi. My plant is only about a foot tall. Jo North how tall is yours?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

It's a short little guy, maybe a foot tall.

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hmm, Onabrook Angel?

http://www.ferncliffgardens.com/displayFlower.php?id=85

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Hmmm, I don't think that's it Tod. DN - why don't you email Vesey's with your photo? They might be able to figure out what they shipped....I would, but I don't think I've got a photo.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2009 9:36 PM

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

Annie-what about Tyrell? That's the first thing that popped in my head when I saw your pic. There's nothing in PF about it, but here are a few links. Most pics seem more orangey than yours, but like you said about sun availability...

http://gardeningisfun.com/full-sun/dahlia-tyrell/
http://www.kvbwholesale.com/store/dahlias/decorative/65064

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

You guys and gals are all putting in good guesses. I just don't think we've got the form quite right, but closing in on colors- yes! I hope it isn't one that is never going to be even remotely possible to name. It's a big sturdy plant and big sturdy blooms that go from peach/yellow to kind of a pinky peach/pale yellow as it ages. I'll ask around, but if your searching dahlias, keep those guesses coming. I think it would be categorized as an ID-informal decorative, not sure.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I forgot to add: if you want to search for dahlias anytime for any reason, use google.com and type in the word dahlia Intrepid, for instance. You will get a lot of hits about the Black Dahlia murder case no matter what name you type, but putting in the word 'dahlia' narrows the search significantly.

Then, you can choose 'web' search or 'image' search if you have the google toolbar installed. To help try to find my mystery peach/yellow I typed in "dahlia B ID LB or/y" (B sized= 6-8", Informal Decorative form, Light Blend, Orange and yellow) to start, also FD form and larger size A because I'm not too sure on forms other than the obvious ones.

The interesting thing is to search a name and then"images" of a dahlia and see just how many wrongly ID'd ones are out there and it happens in an instant because those tubers come out of the ground looking pretty much alike and get dispersed all over. I don't quite want to think about digging just yet though!

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Ole dopey me..... I dug the mystery clump that began this thread and it's Wyn's N.E.W. Pastel! Always a good idea to label the tuber going into the ground or pot for this reason. I thought I killed them all last winter but the sole survivor went into that hole. Also found a tag amidst the dense foliage with 'Wyn's Autumn Reverie' on the label and dimly recalled thinking at planting time "Oh, I'll recognize this as Wyn's something.... when it blooms. Then life took over burying both the tag and my recall.

So this ID mystery is solved. Thanks for all your guesses though.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/165488/

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

It always seems to be such a great relief to have names for plants. Hope you're patting yourself on the back for labeling them!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I am so labelling the tubers too next year! Glad the mystery is solved!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.