Wisteria seems to be dying slowly

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

My "Patio tree Wisteria" is in terrible shape. I bought it this past Spring, planted it in a suitable location and it has gone down slowly since. This is what it looks like today. If anyone has any idea what it may be, please give me a hint.

Things that are NOT wrong with it.
1-Too little water
2-Needs feeding
3-Too little sun
4-Too much sun

Thumbnail by DesertPirate
Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

One more photo of my sickly Wisteria.

Thumbnail by DesertPirate
mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

fertilizer burn, sun burn, anthracnose (but i don't know if this plant is prone to it)...just a few off the top of my head.

edited to add that i had a similar problem when the ups truck kept running in my driveway and the exhaust was pointed straight at plants. now that i don't buy anything, the problem is solved. LOL

This message was edited Sep 23, 2009 2:29 PM

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi Randy....I am going to hazard it is sunburn...My little pink Dogwood did the same thing...The leaves look awful but the plant stems are still pliable...In our zones where first year transplants out of the pot get baked under our longer and hotter sun, they tend to burn tender leaves...Is there any way you could move it to a location where is would be partially shaded in the hotest part of the day?? If not... just give it time next year now that it is established rootwise...

Dusty

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks Dusty. I've gotten some sage advice on this and yours is in the majority. I've been advised to move it in its dormancy a few months from now. I do have a good location. It also is probably getting too much water.

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

I think I am going to do the same thing with mine...The Dogwoods do tend to like to be an understory tree so, I have a huge Pine next door that is on the fence line, about 8 feet in, and I think I will put the dogwood parallel to it about 4 feet inside the fence line...It will get some sun in the morning and late afternoon and partial shade the rest of the day...

I am working on my front porch extension at the moment, but as soon as that is finished, I am going to get my supports in the ground and ready for my own Wisteria...so I will be anxious to see how yours fares...
Good luck to the both of us on saving our *babies*....LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.