iris propagation

Kennett, MO

This is the first year that I have been able to get serious about iris although I've loved them since watching my grandmother care for hers. I built a raised bed, bought some iris that caught my eye and planted them. Then I found more iris that I liked and built a second raised bed...............................................and so on. Working on a third.
I bought quite a few of my iris from Schreiner's and have gotten a few from sellers on eBay. I recently purchased what was represented to be iris and, when I got the package found what appears to be crocus corms. The seller is trying to tell me that these are iris bulbs from a reputable bulb company. Before I challenge her, I want to make sure that I am correct in assuming that iris are propagated by rhizozome or seed only and that there is not such thing as an iris corm????
I would very much appreciate an answer and I am sorry for such a mundane question.
Thank you

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

There are iris bulbs for the reticulatas and dutch irises that are sold this time of year.

As far as I know, no irises come from corms.

Of course, as you said most irises are grown from rhizomes.

Do you have a picture of what the seller was offering? Could it possibly have been a dutch iris? I looked really quick on Ebay (what a joke some of those listings are--some not, but some horrible), and did find Dutch irises listed.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

pictures of the 'corms' would help too...

Raleigh, NC

yup, because you described "crocus" and that's not far off from dutch iris bulbs.

Kennett, MO

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170382533891&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

this is the ad, at least I hope it shows up.
My camera is buried among many unpacked boxes because instead of unpacking I've spent my time working at a new job and digging in the dirt. I'll try to find a picture on the web that looks like the corms

I don't remember how to make the link linkable, sorry.

Kennett, MO

I can't find any pictures of what I have but then I remembered that I just bought a little bag of crocus to plant with the iris. The corms that I have are about as big around as the crocus but the crocus is flatter. The ones that I have looks more like a Hershey's Kiss but not so quite so narrow on top.
There is that clear as mud? I'll keep looking for a picture

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

When I went to the E bay ad, it showed iris Burnt Orange and showed a bearded iris. It flashes real quick, and then says this auction is over.

It's definitely a bearded iris. So what you get should be a rhizome. I see they referred to the iris as a bulb. Obviously they are wrong.

PLUS, the picture they show is of a very modern iris (I think). The only Burnt Orange registered is one from 1939-49, and there's no description in the registry for those years, but the one shown on Ebay does not appear to be a picture of an iris from the 30s or 40s.

I think the sale at Ebay is questionable. Something is obviously not right.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

That does look like an older iris now, so maybe it is Burnt Orange. Someone else will come along and tell you if the irises are correct to name. But here's a picture of what the rhizomes should look like. These are some I received in the mail a couple of years ago from an internet seller.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=2615675

Blanchard, MI(Zone 5a)

I don't think I'd be posting other folks pictures without permission if you don't own the pic I'd post a link to the picture otherwise its copyright infringment, you may want to edit your posts and remove them and add links.

Raleigh, NC

they look like crocus bulbs? these? you received the wrong plant.

these photos are of recently introduced Tall Bearded irises. Candy Cane Cutie (2000, Maryott) and Epicenter (Ghio 1994) are hot sellers, in high demand. There is no registered variety called Spice Cake, probably a variety someone didn't register. I suspect that may be true for Burnt Orange, too -- the photo shows an iris too wide in the falls form and too ruffled overall to be an historic iris from back in the 1930's

Rhizomes, to be truly viable, should look like polly's photo, green leafed and anywhere from six inches to 12 inches or so long.

FYI leibe - bearded iris seeds are new genetic combinations. they absolutely will not be true to the parent plant. Iris hybridizers have a saying, "99% of all iris seedlings make great compost."

Kennett, MO

I don't have time to play with seeds or hybrids unfortunately. I'm sitting on retirement and will be able to do that then.

Can anyone tell me how to get the pics OFF? I tried to edit them but can't get them off.
Those were the pictures posted by the seller by the way and the corms that I got were nicely labled with those same names.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Use the contact us link at the bottom of this page, give admin a link to this thread and ask that they be removed and tell them why. I can't do it, but Terry or Mel can.

Raleigh, NC

thanks Joan. That's good info.

leibe42 You bought what you thought were irises from a fraudual seller on Ebay

The seller have been discussed in the following thread It is the same person who keep changing her seller name. The photos she uploads are not hers. Here is the link.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1024763/

Philadelphia, PA

i assume the seller was Nicole Clover? On south Curtis st? Or something like that? (Or does she have some other friend in Boise) If you paid by paypal file a complaint. Otherwise complain to e-bay. She did the same thing to me.

See the other thread. Maybe if there ar enough complaints we can stop her.

Kennett, MO

I just filed a dispute with eBay Paypal. Paypal will have to pay me the money back so they will get real interested once they have to shell out a couple of bucks.
I think she has a new name........................208flowers4u2008.......something like that. photos and wording are about the same.
At first I thought maybe she got taken in but now I think she is just a fraud. The little dutch iris bulbs were even nicely labeled with tall bearded iris names......................and she sent me a bonus bulb....
I am so naive, never dawned on me that someone would sell a grandma garden run of the mill iris after advertising a named iris. Or that I would get a dutch iris bulb. Now I'm afraid to buy any seeds, bulbs, etc on eBay. On the other hand, the rhizozomes that I got from Schreiner's were just beautiful!!!!

Yes, that seller keeps changing her name while she steals photos off Daves to illustrate the iris that she doesn't have. I sent a message to her about that. She wrote back that she talked to Dave about the photos. What a liar since Dave doesn't own the photos and can't give permission of its use. I sent her another message regarding that. Also that an iris does not grow from a corm or bulbs, as she calls it. Didn't tell her what it is called. I also told her that her fraudual transaction is discussed all over Daves. Still waiting to hear her reply. She is from Boise, Idaho

Ebay don't seem to care so it is up to us to send her messages and let her know we are on to her. She is not the only one doing the same thing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.