Coffee Break # 19 - Happy Equinox!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Coming from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037876/#new

Straight north-south shadows today!

Thumbnail by victorgardener
Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

My 10 yr old just started the violin. Accepting prayers & good thoughts.

For your bad hearing?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Looking for deafness about 30 minutes/day. Already know a little sign language,so I have a head start.

Lock him in his room!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

dave - ask your black bear yankee fans to help with your kids lessons

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Ear plugs!

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Best of luck to your little one in his/her endeavor!

Springsteen is 60 years old today. I could use ear plugs whenever he 'sings'.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I second that!!!

I find that many of these 'modern day' singers cant sing worth a dime, it's all the marketing hype, selling a product to the public! Marketability is first and foremost, talent has been forced to take a back seat.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Amen!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm still in shock that some don't like Bruce's music :O Cool dave47 about your son learning the violin. I have a buddy on the RM forum whose son is learning bagpipes so they are doing it together. His theory is if you are contributing to the racket it isn't a racket. Funny thing is his cat yowls along with them when they practice. I SO want to see that ^_^
It's going up to 90F here today but there are f*r*o*s*t predictions for early next week. How funky weird is that?

The ridiculous part of this article is that time was actually wasted studying it. Ugh.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20090923/sc_livescience/fullmoondoesnotaffectsurgeryoutcomes

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

And to think they have thrown all the that money and brains into a weather transporter!

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Sorry Victor--that study needs a do-over--It is flawed! After almost 30 years as a nurse in various settings, I totally believe in the power of the full moon! And you do not need to go outdoors to experience it!

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

If it's Bruce's b-day, it explains why they are playing alot of his music on the radio today.

I don't believe it, Phoebe. People just want to believe it. Same with gardening by the moon and many other things.

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

I have experimented with and have experienced better germination of seeds planted by the moon cycles after reading about it here on DG. My coleus cuttings also have done better this way.

It's the power of the moon!

It's the power of the MIND! There is no scientific evidence of any advantage to gardening by the moon. Consider this - the tidal force of the new moon is exactly the same as the full moon, yet the full moon gets all the attention - more crime, more hospital visits, whatever.

Also, the 'reason' given for the supposed effect on gardening is totally bogus - people say that it affects the moisture in the ground. Surely, the argument goes, if the tides can move entire oceans, it can move the water in the soil. Totally wrong. It's precisely the size of the oceans that causes the tides. Like 'regular' gravitational force, tides are determined by the masses involved - in this case the moon and the oceans. The moon has zero effect on a small lake, or your pool or pond. And neither does it affect the water in the soil. Sorry, believers! ^_^

Newport News, VA(Zone 11)

That makes sense Victor, if... the reason is moisture in the soil. What if its something else as yet undiscovered? Sometimes you have to leave room for the imponderables. I just know my seeds and cuttings germinate and root better.

I don't need to know WHY it works just that it does :-)

Have you really done a 'side by side' type of test? Or do they just 'seem' to germinate better? It's human nature to pay attention to those results that support our beliefs and 'forget' those that do not.

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

Come to work with me on the next full moon Victor....

And new moon??

S of Lake Ontario, NY(Zone 6a)

I seem to grow a lot of extra hair when the moon is full.

Wish I could say the same.

East Bridgewater, MA

Approximately 60% of the human body is water.

Aproximately 70-75% of the human brain is water.

(Unleashing the debating "dogs of war.")

Okay. And.... see my counter argument above.

Land of OZ, CT(Zone 6a)

While there is some increased activity at times on the new moon, it is the full moon activity that is notable. It just is what it is -- Oops! Think it is time to move to the "what expressions drive you nuts" thread!

60%! 70-75%?? That means the moon must be acting upon us with tidal forces!!
The moon's influence is mysterious & inexplicable! Everybody knows that!

Therefore...it has nothing to do with the moon! Zero difference in tidal force between new and full. It's the human psyche.

Nope - that's the misconception, WC.

East Bridgewater, MA

Notice I just stated two anatomical facts; I did not take a position either way.

I know the conversational La Brea Tar Pits when they arise!

I am about to do my best wolf howl!!

East Bridgewater, MA

Once again, a "Young Frankenstein" referece:

"Werewolf?"

(I-gor points in opposite direction:)

"No, there wolf."

'Nice knockers!'

East Bridgewater, MA

Like Shakespeare, Mel Brooks puts in every type of humor, even raunchy, to keep everyone entertained.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

pbtaaaaaaaaaft (raspberry) Victor. Not everything is mundanely explained by science IMPO. I think Phoebe's experience is impirical evidence about the moon's influence. Many gardeners like jadajoy plant by the moon and their experience is that they have more productive results. More evidence. I think we should keep all our doors and windows open on this one ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.