paulownia in the tropics?

Mon Plaisir, Aruba

Hey again everybody - I'm back for another dose of messageboard knowledge...

My beloved 60-year old royal poinciana tree has been wiped out by a fungus invasion and I am looking for a replacement to provide shade and beauty for my back yard. I am considering paulownia for its quick growth, shade, etc.

Does anyone else have any experience growing these trees in the tropics?

Any other recommendation for very fast-growing shade trees would also be much appreciated!

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha,

I haven't grown a Paulownia but I believe they are very pretty trees - sorry I don't have any info about them. I am on the look out for a Rainbow Shower tree for my garden because they are sterile and so don't have a seed pod drop...I haven't been able to find one anywhere, although they are common street trees here.

Sorry to hear you lost a 60 year old Royal Poinciana. What a gap that must be in your garden! They are so beautiful in bloom, with such a lovely spreading canopy.

We have such knowledgeable growers on this forum I am sure someone will come along with the answer...

Good luck.

Mon Plaisir, Aruba

wow - the Rainbow Shower tree sound super. I'm gonna head to the local nursery tomorrow and see if they've ever heard of them. BTW, do you have any idea how fast-growing they are? I do have a HUGE hole in the garden now and need it to be filled ASAP. Our shady porch is now hot all day, forcing us inside for meals. Dang! I almost cried when the arborist told me the tree was beyond saving.

Much too hot for Paulonia, they collapse. They need cooling winter

If the big old tree is still there, plant some vine on it. Or make a porch roof!

Keaau, HI

I had a Paulownia for a year before it dropped dead.

For a nice purple flowering tree, try Jacaranda mimosifolia.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.