Ipomoeas , I met during my trip to Congo (Katanga)

szarvas, Hungary

In southern Congo, It's the end of dry season (6 to 7 months) but Ipomoea Cairica always have flowers.They are found everywhere in the bush as a city.
They do not exactly resemble the one I had at home. Sometimes the leaves are different.
I thing there are different strains.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

An other pic.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

Profile.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

An other strain of Ipomoea Cairica with different leaves.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

Here is a leaf.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

Here is Ipomoea Cairica I have at home - quite different !
Throat is darker.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

Now a yellow Ipomoea NOID.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

So yellow !
And leaves are also an interesting form.

Thumbnail by dany12

did you get any seeds Dany??? the pics are wonderful... when did ou go?

Gautier, MS

Rare beauties, awesome blooms.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Very nice species, Dany! Very interesting all the different I. Cairica plants. Were they all bush form or were some vining forms? Love that bright yellow one, too!

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

maybe post the yellow on the id forum and see if anyone there may know it . more people from all over see it on that forum

szarvas, Hungary

Marie,thanks for your advice .
All are climbers. Sometimes they run on the ground but still in search of support.
Here a NOID ipomoea of white cream colour on this picture you might think that its leaves are heart shaped - not at all see the second pic.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

Here on the pic your can see the typical tri-lobed leaves.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

Bloom closer.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

Flower profile.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

green pods.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

An other yellow vines .NOID

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

An other place, an other pic.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

And the last ipomoea I met , grown exclusively near water in black soil full of humus.

Thumbnail by dany12
szarvas, Hungary

The seeds are kind of hairy.

Thumbnail by dany12

A pink bog morning glory! COOL!!! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7099110

You sure located some interesting MGs! Africa seems to have far more plants than I ever imagined! Lucky you to take such a trip! :-) Thanks for sharing all the photos with us! :-) Such an adventure!

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i am in love with the pink on wow

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

what a treat to see all those, dany, thanks for sharing! I love those out of this world species.. ( I should say out of this countryLOL)

truly wonderful Dany...

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

Great pics Dany, thanks for sharing with us.

szarvas, Hungary

profil.

Thumbnail by dany12

Dany - Is this last photo of Ipomoea Cairica? It sure has some fat blooms! :-) Looks nice!

love it. I like the bud.. it is really twisted.

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

I purchased some seeds from this link on ebay he is in japan and I got my seeds in less than two weeks

http://shop.ebay.ca/wabisukejp/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

nice looking large seeds and the prices are not bad

love this one ginro silver wolf

Thumbnail by scicciarella

Mona - Is that Joseph or his Japanese friend who is the seller? Sheesh ... $30 for 3 seeds of the ginro silver wolf! I little too pricey for me. Interesting names. They sound more American than Japanese. Apparently they are not in Japanese commercial packets, but from a private grower? Thanks for the link.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2009 12:14 AM

szarvas, Hungary

Silver Wolf is the translation of that 銀無地 in Japanese .

This wonderful cultivar is also on sale in Japan for 10,500 yen 5 seeds ($ 1 = 90 yen).
So on ebay not too expensive !
I understand that this is number Q 1221 of the national collection of Kyushu University.

What surprises me is that when applied to get seeds from this collection (in May ) you must sign a paper, on your honor that it is not for commercial reasons.There are leaks or their way to hijack the "law" is called with commercial name .
For us it is good because otherwise we could not enjoy their beauty in our garden.

I'll try to get seeds from the University in next May .But is not sure that there is a distribution because of the typhoon. Getting seeds so late in the season it's only for planting 2011 (why so late delivery??)

I think also that the price is linked to fertility (expensive = infertile).

that makes sense, thanks Dany.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

The price on the ginro silver wolf was 50$ a couple of days ago. The price still may come down. It seems to be a private seller Becky, my seeds were not in a commercial pack. The prices and shipping I think are pretty fair. It is the same seller dany linked us to a couple of threads back. Seems they go under 2 names...

Dany - Thanks for that explanation. Oh my! ... if there is little to no seed production on the vines, then you might have to buy seeds every year if it is a cultivar that you want to have in your garden every year. $30 every year for 3 seeds. I don't know about everyone else, but that is an expense that I can not afford. The other seeds offered on the ebay site seemed to be a little more affordable.

I must admit ...trading is what gives me the opportunity to grow a wider variety of vines. What I have gotten in trades is far more than I could have ever afforded to buy. My budget is very limited right now in this economy. I so am very appreciative when people are kind enough to share some nice cultivars with me. I wouldn't have them otherwise.

And I don't mind sharing it forward to others when I collect seeds. In fact I love sharing. I've always been happier with bartering than anything I've ever bought. Same with services. When I trade services with folks locally, I seem to get a much better service and I give a 110% back. So it is a win-win situation for all. :-)

And since the American dollar has declined, seems we don't get as much for our buck as we used to. :-(

I guess that would make vines like the Diluted Fuji no Muraski an expensive one to buy? I haven't gotten a single seed on the current vine grow-out. Unbelievable. I didn't get any seeds from the block-color leaf vine either. I have tried crossing both of these vines, but I think they are both completely sterile. What do you do when that happens. I don't know a way to preserve these rare vines. I may take a cutting and try to root them. But if they don't root, then these vines are gone forever. Such a shame.

Ronnie - Thanks for clarifying about the ebay site being from a private grower, not a commercial one. I wonder how true they will be from the 3 seeds?

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I am so tempted to buy them for a treat but thought the same thing as Becky... if it doesn't produce seeds how will I keep it going!!

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

that is what I did I when I ordred he only had five on there all in shades of blue even a tie die blue which I love, it only cost me 12 dollars including shipping for five different ones I thought it was a really good price and it only took two weeks to get them and it was ten seeds per package

this year my pink purple tie die I grew two vines and got not one seed so I am happy that I only planted two and have eight more

dany is it possible that with silver wolf or others that the reason they do not make many seeds is that they have to be polinated with another of the same vine maybe not open polinated so two vines and we need to help them so we will get some seeds

szarvas, Hungary

Mona I think they are hand pollination in the same variety but it's just a very unfertile cultivar.

Last spring I bought 5 seeds of Black King in Japan - cost : 4500 yen ($ 50).
I have sent 2 seeds in the U.S. and sown others . I 've got 2 plants in containers which until now have given me 50 seeds (first 38 seeds the another 12 - why??)+ 20 crosses.
Both containers are now in the greenhouse to finish some more seeds .

I used to give me gifts - I've several times a year my birthday !

These seeds can I exchange them, I hope with the few beautiful cultivars I have seen on this forum.So in 2010 Black King be accessible to everyone.

A dark gray not too expensive in Japan 300 yen for 8 seeds.

Thumbnail by dany12

On my Diluted Fuji no Muraski vine, the blooms in many of the flowers do not have pollen and many of the blooms don't even have a stigma, so there is no way to fertilize or cross them at all. Both male and female reproductive parts are missing. :-( That is what I consider to be completely sterile.

Some vines just don't produce pollen (male), but will have a stigma (female) and can be crossed using other vine bloom's pollen. But when they have no reproductive parts, the only other way I know to try to save them is to cut stems and try to root them in hopes that they will eventually produce at least male or female reproductive parts.

Naturally, it's the vine/blooms that are very beautiful and unusual that do this! The kind you see and fall in love with and want to have in your garden every year. Such is life! (sigh)

Dany - Nice dark gray blooms in your photo! I love how you give yourself Birthday gifts throughout the year! :-) It will certainly be interesting to see how your Black King crosses turn out in 2010! I, for one, am looking forward to seeing the bloom photos! :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.