Holly

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

I have several holly bushes and I need a male. So I bought a china Boy...Now will it pollinate all hollies or just the China girl????

Danville, IN

Probably just the China Girl, but possibly any other 'blue' hollies such as 'Blue Princess', 'Blue Maid', etc. since they are all Meserve hybrids, but that's iffy. Other holly species need particular male cultivars.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

It's all about the bloom times, whether they overlap or not. Some hollies can be pollinated by different species of hollies, and some can produce sterile fruit without any pollinator. This can get complicated... what female hollies do you have, bluepoppy?

(Strictly speaking, China Boy and China Girl aren't blue hollies... they were hybridized by Meserve, but they are not Ilex x meserveae, which are I. rugosa x I. aquifolium. China Boy and China Girl are I. rugosa x I. cornuta. Lots of sites on the internet have this wrong, even ones that should know better...)

Red BeautyŽ a.k.a. 'Rutzan' today - don't ask who the father/pollinator was, I have no idea!

Thumbnail by claypa
Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

then I am guessing my China Boy will not pollinate my Blue Princess holly??????

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

It might - it will if they bloom at the same time.

Triad(for a few more, NC(Zone 7a)

I asked DG staff if they could start a Holly community, I want to raise them and learn all I can about them. I am in a horticulture program presently at one of our local community colleges and have become fascinated by them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.