Gifted plants - now what?

Alfred Station, NY(Zone 5b)

My FIL gave me a bunch of different plants in pots. They were extras that he had never put in his garden. Given that it's now September, I'm not quite sure what to do with them all. There are hollyhocks, geranium, celery, an asparagus fern ("Sprengeri") and another flowering plant I'm unsure what it is.

What would you do with them?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Is it a hardy geranium or an annual? If annual you can take cuttings from it. If hardy plant now.
Picture of the unknown one??? maybe we can help identify it.
The hollyhock you can plant now and collect some seeds from it for next year.
The asparagus fern is a tender perennial bring it inside for the winter.
No idea on the celery.

Oviedo, FL(Zone 9b)

You won't probably get much celery. It's an annual. You could put it in and see. Otherwise, listen to Flowerjen. If you send a picture, we can help.
Martha

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Since you have no money in them why not put them in the ground and see what happens,I'm referring to the perennials of course.
If they dont reappear in spring you havnt lost anything

Eastern Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

If the FIL is a successful gardener then I would pick only what I like and plant it. I'd figure there's no sense in spending time or money on a plant I don't want. The fern can survive indoors over the winter, semi shade, doesn’t like to be moved once it's got a spot. I happen to like that particular fern so I would bring it in. It depends on your taste. I'd empty out the rest of the pots I didn't want.

Here is a photo of the unknown:

Thumbnail by gallesfarm

The geraniums are the annual type. The hollyhocks are already flowering. Aren't they biennial? So even if I plant them now, I won't get anything next year will I?

FIL is pretty successful. For the last two years he's participated in a sort of local farm/garden/craft tour where people go from place to place on a given day viewing people's gardens and such. He does a lot of container gardening now, hence the flowering hollyhocks in pots. He does dahlias in pots too and a whole bunch of other things. I think the things he gave me were leftovers from this year's personal gardening as well as leftovers from the garden tour day - I guess he potted up a lot of extras in case people wanted to buy.

I will bring the fern in. I like the look of it.

Thanks!

New Boston, NH

Do you ever go to The Barnstormers Playhouse?My brother manages it.

Sad to say but I have not been there as yet. I guess I'm not much of a theater person.

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I believe the photo of the unkown plant is an annual called Vinca.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

that would be my guess too

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Yes, your unknown plant is a vinca. They are not perennial except in the southern zones. I love them, and mine in pots outside are really pretty right now. If you can keep it inside over winter, it will be gorgeous in a pot or in the ground outside next summer.

Here's a shot of mine awhile back. It is even fuller now.

Thumbnail by DonnieBrook
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I had forgotten I loved that plant.I'm putting it on my wish list.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Actually, mine has doubled in size since that shot was taken. It does not require a lot of water, so it is a very easy container plant.

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

I love it too, JoAnne. In Florida, I plant beds of them in the winter, and some of them make it through the hot summer there unattended.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

When do you head backLouise

Here's a distribution map, it may survive if mulched in a moist area protected from wind. I had some in a pot a couple of years ago on top of a chair. the next spring the ones in the pot died but there was a cutting which must have been dug out of the pot by my pesky squirrel that had fallen underneath the chair. The vinca vine/ ground cover survived the winter, it's still thriving now, after 2yrs I haven't touched it. The grass grows slowly in that area so it doesn't interfere.

http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=VIMI2

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

I'm jealous that you can keep them over winter, WaterCan!!!

I didnt think I could, that's why I left them in the pot overwinter, I figured I'd clear out the pot next year. The squirrel knew better and planted one for me! lol!

Southwest , NH(Zone 5b)

Amazing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.