Tomatoes??Blight

Alpena, MI

I lost all of my tomatoes to what I've been told is Blight...any ideas as to what to do next year to help stop the blight on my tomatoes?????

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

I am so sorry you lost all of your tomatoes. That's so sad. I know how much work we all put into our gardens and to lose an entire crop is so disheartening.

Here are some things you can do to ensure a better crop next year.

First, make sure you do a very good cleanup. Make sure you remove all tomato plants down to the root along with any stay fruit. Do not put any of this in your compost pile. Bag it up and send it to the dump or burn it. Late blight is not a soil borne disease but it can overwinter in infected plants or roots. This blight is found not only on tomatoes but also potatoes, so if you grew any of those that got infected be sure to dig all tubers and discard them.

Next season make sure the area you garden in has very good drainage. Select varieties of tomatoes that are resistant to blight. Learn the abbreviations on the tags placed on the tomato seedlings. Only buy those that aren't prone to blight.

Make sure when you water your garden you do so in the very early morning hours so the plants dry out during the day. Don't plant too close so there is very good air circulation.

Monitor you garden often and if you see any signs of fungus use a foliar spray of a recommended anti-fungal. If a plant has obvious signs of it pull it out and destroy it right away before it spreads and infects your other plants.

Make sure your diagnosis was correct and it was indeed blight. There are websites with pictures. Compare them to what you saw on your tomatoes in your garden.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

go to the tomato forum and add it to your watched list!!!

I didnt pull whole plants this yr i just picked off infected leaves and got rid of them
it did work good!!

Mulching helps to keep plants away from the soil and it keeps roots cool and damp!

I HATE Blight of any kind!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.