September is here with a chill in the air Part 3

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

All are welcome to join us on our daily chitchats!

Happy last day of Summer!! We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1037810/

No chill in the air in my neck of the woods so I'll live vicariously thru my peeps!
Ric – Good luck on the job hunt! You and Robyn got a lot accomplished this Summer!
Rusty – I am ready for Summer to be over too! I’m tired of this stifling heat. Pretty coleus!
Mau – Thanks!
Celia – A sigh of happiness for the cooler temps!

86.7 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 55%
Dew Point: 69 °F
Wind: 3.8 mph
Wind Gust: 5.6 mph
Pressure: 30.12 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 91 °F
Visibility: 10.0 miles
UV: 4 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 2500 ft
Mostly Cloudy 6000 ft
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 18 ft

Now -
Through 1245 PM...isolated showers and a possible thunderstorms continue to develop across northeast Florida. The showers are moving west at 5 to 10 mph. The heaviest activity will move into areas near Bryceville...Calahan... Kingsley and Middleburg. Expect...brief gusty winds...heavy downpours and dangerous lightning with thunderstorm activity.

Today
Partly cloudy with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. High 85. East winds 10 to 15 mph.

I see nothing except blue skies...High 85*? We've already got that beat! My new fav pic of E. Hookeri.

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 7a)

I like high temps! Waaaaa! LOL

Fayetteville, AR(Zone 7b)

LOL!! I don't have anything to say today either :0 Except: Celia come down here and enjoy our high temps and humidity:

Currently: 85.6 °F and Clear
Humidity: 76%
Dew Point: 77 °F
Wind: 1.6 mph from the NE
Wind Gust: 2.5 mph
Pressure: 29.92 in (Steady)
Heat Index: 97 °F
UV: 6 out of 16
Clouds:
Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Finally!!

I'm running to lunch and I'll see ya'll later. Got to get my stuff prepared for my conference next week today and tomorrow! Woo Hoo!!

i see clouds!

Now
Through 245 PM...isolated showers and thunderstorms continue to develop across northeast Florida. The showers are moving west at 5 to 10 mph. The heaviest activity will move into areas near Kingsley...Middleburg...Lake Butler...Lulu and Lake City. Expect...brief gusty winds...heavy downpours and dangerous lightning with thunderstorm activity.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

The temp reached 89 ºF in Little Rock today according to the TV weather folk. According to the thermometer on my back porch it was 88ºF about noon so I am sure we got to at least 89, too. Rain back in the forecast for late tonight, tomorrow and Wed. It was hot and sunny!

Not complaining though--I managed to get in about 4 hours of work in my flowerbeds this morning but I had to skirt around the fire ants--they are everywhere! Yikes! My son put out a bag of poison today. I had finished up a bag last week. It seems like they just move from spot to spot and that they thrive on that poison! GRRRR!.

We were without electricity for 5 hours last evening for some strange reason. Our subdivision seemed to be the only place in town without electricity. Sure made me appreciate lights and air conditioining, LOL. I was forced to go to bed early since there was no TV to be watched and I was tired of reading by candlelight! Ah, modern conveniences--gotta love 'em!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Mau a trick we learn during the Hurricane.
Solar Spotlights make GREAT indoor room and reading lights.

Still 72° here after a high near 80° won't get much cooler till Weds.
Looks like we 'might' have some 40's coming next week.
We've been looking at starting on the GH.
Since I don't have a workplace to winter them we need to get busy.
This year will just be another hoop house on the Sewing Room roof.
Next year hopefully the real deal.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Chilly and wet all day. We finally got some rain!! In fact we got enough rain that the mud fell off my truck at work. LOL. I had mud puddles where I parked. Temps never got out of the 60s.

(Zone 5a)

Good morning!

40°F, light breeze and mostly cloudy this morning. Looks like it could stay dry for one day!

Hi to everyone - I enjoyed all your posts!

Hope you all have a wonderful day :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I got good rains and thunder last night...

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Good morning,
Home from KY RU.
2000 miles of driving up & down hills, around curves & over big rivers.
Had a great time with all the DG friends that attended.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1038443/
Back to reality. Gardens keep on producing, market awaits. House project gets underway tomorrow. Cabinets are needing to be finished & installed.
Bernie

Good Morning! I'm staying home from work today. I lost my balance yesterday on the steps to the back porch, slid and pulled my achilles tendor on my right leg. I kept it iced and elevated, but it sure does hurt. It's swollen and bruised, but not torn. I'm having a hard time walking so, oh darn I can't go to work today, but I can't do anything else.

78.3 °F
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 73 °F
Wind: 0.0 mph
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.06 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 81 °F
Visibility: 6.0 miles

Today
Partly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of showers and afternoon thunderstorms. Patchy fog early in the morning. Highs in the upper 80s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.

Powder Puff getting ready to pop!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

We have had a beautiful September. Normal 1st frost is Sept 15 and although there was a light frost on the roofs, none of the plants were affected. Our temps have been above normal - almost like were are getting August weather. After today the days will be shorter. A month from now we will be just over 10 hours of daylight.

Forecast today: 28ºC / 82ºF
tomorrow: 33ºC / 91ºF

The garden has been beautiful all summer.

This message was edited Sep 22, 2009 6:30 AM

Thumbnail by joannabanana

Got a squall line last night, nickle sized hail, wind 60+mph, it was red on the radar but it started to weaken and slow down just before it got to my house, thank goodness! I sent a text to Dave to tell him to keep an eye on the weather, looked like it was going to be here at 11:00pm which is when he gets off work and I don't want him driving 35 minutes down the interstate in it. It didn't get to the house and Little Rock til after midnight so that was good. I got myself all wound up, was watching the weather and they were showing air flow and lightning and there were rotation whirlybirds way north of me, but I got myself all worked up and scared, so I didn't get to sleep until 1am. That's two nights in a row, was lazy daisy on Sunday and stayed in bed til after noon so of course wasn't tired til 1am, last night was all paranoid. Tonight is going to be an early night! LOL

Here's what we have at 9:55am:

71.8 °F
Overcast
Humidity: 84%
Dew Point: 68 °F
Wind: 1.3 mph from the West
Wind Gust: 1.3 mph
Pressure: 29.97 in (Rising)
Heat Index: 71 °F
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds:
Scattered Clouds 800 ft
Overcast 1300 ft
(Above Ground Level)

Scattered thunderstorms are in the forecast all week.

Have a great day!!

(Zone 7a)

Hello, Rann!!! Are you having a good day? Are those crocuses?

How did Rusty do with the thunder this time?

Sharon!!! You be more careful. Speedy recovery.

Joanna, good to hear from you again. Have you been doing well this summer? You gardens are beautiful.

Crissy! LOL I know how you get with bad weather. I feel bad for you. I laugh but you know I luv ya!

56.0 °F with 70º for the high. I was actually cold in the house yesterday.
Clear
Humidity: 42%
Dew Point: 33 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 1.0 mph
Pressure: 30.35 in (Falling)
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Fuzzy pic of Isis.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Ric: good idea on the solar lights--I have 8 of them along my garden path so I will have to bring
them inside if we are out of electricity at night. One of the pups from the Big Dipper you sent me is now on its way to Celia :o))
Pepper: glad you got the dust washed off the truck--LOL
Rusty: have you started painting your bedroom yet?
Rann: lovely flowers--is that a recent photo--our crocus and other bulbs bloom in the spring.
Bernie: welcome back! I'll check out your link to the KY RU when I finish here.
Sharon: so sorry about your injury--hope you are feeling better soon
Joanna: beautiful garden you have there!
Crissy:; we didn't get those high winds like you did--just what appeared to be a rain shower--I slept right through it!

Currently sunny or rather, partly sunny with clouds floating around here and there and according to the thermometer on my back porch it is 78F

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Sharon, you must be more careful! Hurry & get better.

Joanna, keep that cool weather up there, we don't need frost yet. I did go order fuel oil for the greenhouses this morning. Old Jack Frost will be along shortly, I'm afraid.

LOL Celia! I laugh at myself!

One of my texts to Dave was, "I'm all nervous, wound up, and pacing! I HATE this, it's ridiculous and stupid! Wish I could just get over it already LOL"

I'm absolutely fine with thunderstorms, even if they're severe, but the minute I see those whirlybirds or worse yet a tornado warning somewhere in the weather report, I don't care where they are, how far away they are, or even if they're heading in the opposite direction, it freaks me out so bad I almost throw up. I don't know what to do, and every time I swear I'm not going to get all worked up about it, then I do. I can handle the thunderstorms but not even the thought of tornadoes.

Marilyn I never thought of bringing those solar lights in! I have 7 out there (one had an ant nest in it and it died.) Duh here I am lighting candles and carrying around flash lights, we didn't lose power but normally we do...

Ouch Sharon, I've done that and it Hurts!

Dave got home at 11:25pm. We were watching radar (you know the little one in the bottom corner of the TV screen.) and I was a basket case so was doing other things to keep my mind off of it, and he went outside for a cigarette. I went out a few minutes later and was watching the lightning from afar, now that doesn't bother me a bit. Suddenly we got a gust of wind, we didn't even have a stint of a breeze before that. Then another stronger gust, then a big gust that sounded sort of like a freight train but it was far from tornadic and I didn't even notice the sound of it until he said, "There's the freight train!" That made me ill and I had to go back in, and it was far from tornadic, in fact it wasn't severe or strong anymore, it was just a thunderstorm!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Good News on the Dipper.
I hope they come back for you. They are supposed to be hardy here so......

We're dying up here 85º!
I think it's hotter today than on July 4th!

I got wasp stung this morning.
Little sucker nailed me right on the ankle.
I hit it w/ ice in seconds and a vinegar soaked gauze and it was fine in about 15 minutes.
Wasp stings are alkali so the acid in vinegar or lemon juice help neutralize it.
Bee stings are acid so use baking powder or bicarb paste on them.
To work though you really have to get it deep in the sting site.

Ric

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I never knew that about the wasp stings/alkali and the bee stings/acid. No wonder the baking soda didn't work on the wasp sting!

Bernie: those were some really good photos of the KYRU--looks like you folks had a really great time. DGers love having a good time, not to mention enjoying good food together!

This message was edited Sep 22, 2009 5:42 PM

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Grey & overcast with intermittent rain.

(Zone 5a)

Beautiful day here today, cool, but dry and just about calm. High around 48°F. Dug down 10 potted roses and moved a few that were planted in the ground. My back is aching but having accomplished this much in one day is a pretty good feeling :-) All in all a pretty good day. It started raining again this evening .... rain showers tomorrow, then heavy rain on Thursday and Friday according to the forecast...... since I have to prepare for a birthday party this weekend I'm not too upset about it. But I wouldn't mind a few days like today next week! lol

Ric - interesting about the wasp sting ... hope it's something I won't have to use, but in case I do it's good to know! lol Why the specific time for Fall's arrival? Somehow 85°F and Fall just don't go together in my mind! lol If it's above 50°F it's still summer in my books ;-)

Crissy - glad the storm was harmless. When I lived in Florida many years ago, tornados scared me to death ... I still occationally have a tornado nightmare ....

Celia - Hi! :-)

Sharon - sorry about your ankle injury. Hope it heals soon! :-)

The flowers in my photo from this morning are Colchicums, they're autumn flowering bulbs that are in flower right now. Here's a close-up

Have a good night!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I didn't finish the paint cause I has to clean out and get out of my way... I have to remove the old carpet out first but move the antique dressers and old china storage box...
It pretty heavy to move it so I have to wait for my step-son will help me to move it... Then I might paint this weekend so right now, I'm in bad shape of my pelvis & hips hurting that cold weather came out...

Rusty is clam that I gave some calm down pill so it work...

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Pretty chilly today. Thick cloud cover and we never left the 60s. I think we stuck in the low 60s because it felt cold to me even just a little while ago!! lol.

I had to throw out 2 houseplants today. One was over 20 years old. My mom got it when her mom died in the early 80s. The other one was my pitcher plant and I think it bit the dust cause I kept forgetting to repot it. I'm gonna try to get a Venus fly trap instead to replace the pitcher plant and a shell ginger for the other one. I have a RU next week so will just see what people bring. :~)

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Quoting:
High around 48°F

No comprende ;-)

We were visiting my folks in PA and just got home about an hour ago. It is really hot and stuffy in the house.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 5:51 PM PDT on September 22, 2009
100 °F
Clear
Humidity: 4%
Dew Point: 4 °F
Wind: 13 mph from the NNE
Wind Gust: 20 mph
Pressure: 29.83 in (Steady)
(Above Ground Level)

I was sick most of the time we were in PA and I didn't get out much so I don't have a whole lot of pictures, but in this series I'll show you some stuff in my parents' yard.

Chinese forget-me-not

This message was edited Sep 22, 2009 7:20 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

pokeberries

Thumbnail by Kelli

coleus

Thumbnail by Kelli

monarch butterfly

Thumbnail by Kelli

dogwood berries

Thumbnail by Kelli
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Rann: sounds like you accomplished a lot this morning!
Rusty: good luck with moving the furniture and getting the carpet out. Sorry your hips are bothering you.
Pepper; sorry about your houseplants, especially the one that was your grandmom's

Welcome back, Kelli! sorry you were sick--hope you are feelng better now. Your folks have some pretty flowers(and butterfly) in their yard!

We actually saw a sunset today! LOL

Thumbnail by marsue
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Rann 5:18 EDT is the point of Autumnal Equinox.
Both day and night lengths are the same.
Basically after Summer Solstice the Sun appears to move further South each day.
At 5:18 PM our time the Sun breaks the equator into the Southern Hemisphere for the first time since the Spring Equinox.
http://www.glyphweb.com/esky/concepts/autumnalequinox.html

Kelli what a great colorful display!

HOT here today!
Still 73° at 10 pm.......

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Aww, Kelli - it's no fun being sick on vacation! I hope you are feeling better now. We missed you!

Sharon, ouch!!! I hope you feel better soon, too!

Rann, the Colchicums are gorgeous!!

It rained today!! Yayyy! Actually, it was raining so hard this morning I was worried about getting to church for Bible study. The roads were starting to pond, and I do not have a truck! The bunnies and I made it just fine, though, and by the time we were coming home the rain had let up a little, so the drains were able to keep up. We have a 60% chance of rain tomorrow, and good chances for the rest of the week, too. We had over an inch and a half today and we really needed it!

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 8:53pm CDT (7 min ago)
Temperature 70 °F 21 °C
Dew Point 68 °F 20 °C
Humidity 93%
Pressure 30.07 in 1018.2 mb
Wind Speed 3 MPH 3 kts
Wind Dir N 10°
Ceiling 3200 ft 975 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
Remarks 0.01" of precipitation last hour.
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53pm CDT : 71.1°F / 21.7°C

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Mau that's Gorgeous!

Oh I got hit w/ stinging nettle earlier in the year.
Use an antihistamine and baking soda mix on that one. The sting is Histamine, serotonin and acetylcholine.
So the histamine hits you and the other two compound the pain affect by hyper stimulating the pain nerves.
BUT do not rub!
Treat it like you brushed up against a prickly pear or opuntia cactus or fiberglass.
There are little poison hairs in the wound site.
I use yellow wood glue, Spread lightly and let dry.... then peel off.
It will pull them right out.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2009 9:25 AM

Cool Mau, you got a picture of that! It was very pretty up the road but I didn't have my camera with me.
Nice plant too!

Wow Henry, if I ever get stung by something I'm going to call you! LOL

I'm exhausted and going to bed. Hope everyone has a peaceful evening and a good night.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I raised bees for a while and we have TONS of wasps.
This is the first time I've been stung this year.
I was at fault. Wrong Place... Wrong Time. Glad it was just one! LOL!

The stinging nettle was a first in about 10 years.
Haven't seen any wasn't looking for it. BTW Jewelweed doesn't work on it. Dock is supposed to.
We raise the Jewelweed just for Poison Ivy. I get it she doesn't.

(Zone 7a)

Very pretty sunset, Mau.

Kelli, sorry you were sick. I hate that. I loved the small tour of your parents garden.

Ric, I'm filing all this away for future reference. Thanks!

Crissy, hope you got some good rest.

49.8 °F with 76º for the high today.
Clear
Windchill: 50 °F
Humidity: 50%
Dew Point: 32 °F
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph
Pressure: 30.25 in (Steady)
UV: 0 out of 16
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 4383 ft

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Good Morning!

This is crazy. Our forecast high for today is 34ºC or 93ºF. I'm glad I held off moving some perennials & roses.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Mau that's a Pretty Sunset!

Celia what cultivar is that?

We got another rain last night.
Just as we were getting out of the HT we got rinsed off.... lol!
The bromine in the water is finally clearing up that nasty rash I had on my arms.
It has a drying affect on the skin which stopped it. I actually just rinsed my arms in the tub.
My body is healing it.
I think the leg stuff was/is Dew Poisoning. Humidity and Bacteria/Fungus.
It's slow to heal but getting there.
I stayed out of the HT for 10 days and used Triple Antibiotic, Thermazene and a Topical Steroid Cream as the symptoms changed.

Cloudy here toady. Rain chances have dropped to about 0.
It's 73° and was all night.... MAN!
It wasn't this hot at night all Summer.
Tomorrow a cool front moves thru. T-Storms again.
BUT the cold 40's nights they were predicting for next Mon/Tues nights have been raised to the mid/low 50's

Ric

(Zone 7a)

Ric, that's Feverfew. I'm not sure which cultivar it is. It came from my SIL in OR.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

That's one of our good news bad news plants.
We had on about 10 years ago that exploded w/ blooms every Fall.
Then one year never came back.
Can't seem to get it to start now.

(Zone 7a)

Oh dang! I just hope it does okay here. We'll see what happens this winter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.