Whats This about Vitamins And Minerals

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

We've been talking about vitamins lately. So i studied abit and came up with a little info.
First- If you hear some one promote energy vitamins. Better beware. Vitimins do absolutely nothing by themselves. What they do is attach themselves to other chemicals in our bodies and help these chemicals do their thing. So even tho they just hang around and lend a helping hand. We've got to have them if we want to function right. Just like in a garden. If you can't handle a shovel or hoe, better have someone around to help or no garden.

Vitamins are always from living matter.Minerals are from non-living matter. Vitamins are put in 2 classes water soluable vitamins, which can only be absorbed by liquids in the stomach or blood or cells. Watersoluable vitamins are the B vitamins and C vitamin. Water soluable vitamins that are not used are usually eliminated thru the kidneys or bowels.

The other class of vitamins are the fat soluable vitamins. They will only absorb into your system in fats. Did'nt know fat had a good side. huh? Fat soluable vitamins are stored in cells usually livercells and they are stored for future use. The fat soluable vitamins are A,D,E, and K.

I'd like to start with the water soluable Vitamins. Leading off with vitamin B1.

VITAMIN B1 Thiamine
B1 is rapidly destroyed by heat. This one you need to get from raw veggies. Not stored in Body.

B1 supports energy metabolism and nerve function.

B1 best sources are spinich,green peas, Tomato juice, sunflower seeds,milk, Lean ham and lean pork chops. I incourage you to go ahead and cook the ham and pork chops.

DEFIENCY SYMPTOMS AND DISEASES

Insufficient energy for muscles and nerve cells.
Leads to Beri Beri, digestive disturbences and partial muscle paralysis and atrophy of limbs.
Polyneuritis, imparement of sense of touch, decreased stomach motility.stunted growth in children and poor appetite.

This is all for tonight. Remember this is only an overview. All constructive criticism is welcome. Please add your thoughts and questions, and discussions.
Vickie

Midland City, AL

Well done, Vickie. I have never even thought to question what the difference was between a vitamin and a minerals.

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Does anyone know if it is really true that taking Vitamin B1 helps repel mosquitoes? Any opinions? I'm so tired of smelling like Deet.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Kay, I had'nt heard that mega vitamin B1 was effective for bug repellent. So i googled. The consensus was a total inconclusive. Some studies say yes some say no. Some question of what mega doses of B1 being sweated from your skin would do to your body.
The university of Ohio is trying to get a patent of catnip oil for use in studies for insect repellent.
Australia is looking into a couple of spices for insect repellent.
One study recommended 1 B1 capsule a day to prevent insect bites but it would take 2 weeks to take effect.
I don't like to smell deet either.

There are B1 patches sold as mosquito repellent at the local shop-and-go , but they are expensive. Think I will hold off until more research is in. Could be financial predators feeding on the West Nile virus scare.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi. Kay, somebody wrote an article about natural or herbal insecticides a while back. Do you want me to find it for you?

Carrie, that would be good. I have this little battery-operated device I wear on my belt at the small of my back when I'm working. It puts out a bug repellent scent. Sort of like wearing a Glade Plug-In. :-) My grandchildren have cristened it "Mimi's blue skunky tail." A less amusing solution would be nice.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Carrie, Thanks for that link. I think i got all the herbs and i'll try it next year. That was a good article. Darious sounds like a fun person too.
I'd heard of the 4 theives vinagar before, but nothing close to a receipe for it.

Kay, lots of luck gettin out of a teasing from the grandkids. They'll think of something about the smell. Afterall thats what grandkids do and since they have a sprinkling of yours and Jims genes, they could'nt help themslves.LOL
Vickie

Midland City, AL

Grandma has twisted their innocent little minds. They are now convinced that having a blue, skunky tail is "way cool!" They will probably be fighting over it soon. I like the four thieves vinegar idea better. No batteries required. I wonder if Mimi can sell the little darlings on that one. I did get the boys to drink "vinegar sling" (sweetened apple cider vinegar) by telling them I didn't think they were tough enough to handle it. They then had to prove me wrong, of course. Little girls, it seems, aren't quite so easy to influence. My mother was convinced drinking vinegar both helped people handle the heat better and made you uninteresting to insects. Not sure if that is true, but it certainly doesn't do any harm. .

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

My great grandmother thought the same thing about vinegar. She also put some on her arms when she went outside to garden. I remember in the summer she usually had an aura of vinegar around her.

Midland City, AL

It has been unbelievably humid this year which can create problems. Impetigo for some reason, is more of a problem among children when it is hot and humid. The doctor recommended wiping the children down with a vinegar solution to avoid problems. I had my doubts about how effective that would be. Researched it. No less an authority than the Mayo Clinic recommends the same thing. I guess our Momma's and Granny's DID know a thing or two. (Jim)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I'm on my second year concocting the Vinegar of the Four Thieves..(without garlic). It really works! I reapply about every four hours.

Thanks, Carrie. I had put the site address for that article in my computer files when it first came out. but lost it somewhere in the jumble. Really need to take the time to sort and organize things on my computer.

Will have to omit the rue in the recipe, but I will try it. I'm one of those with a strange allergic reaction to rue. It makes some people extremely sensitive to light. If you go into the light, while you have it in your system, it will make your skin blister and take on a green hue where ever sunlight touches it. An ER nurse told me it happens because the skin is actually trying to perform photosynthesis. Don't know if she was putting me on or not. If antibiotics like tetracyclin make you light sensitive, that is a good indicator you need to be careful of rue. *Kay*

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I'm going to have to try it next year.
Glad to hear another confirmation yuska.

I don't have a reaction to Rue or anything else that causes light sensitivity. My rue is down to one little plant. I'll have to make sure it gets mulched this year.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Everyone ready for Vitamin B2-RIBOFLAVIN.

B2 is used in metabolism of carbohydrates and protein especially in the eyes,skin, stomach lining and blood.

Not stored in large amounts in cells and tissue. Most is excreted in urine.small amount made by bacteria in GI tract.

Food sources are- yeast, liver, beef, veal, lamb, oysters, clams, eggs, milk, wholegrains, spinich, broccoli, mushrooms, asparagus, peas, beets, and peanuts.

DEFICIENCY SYMPTOMS- Improper utilization of oxygen resulting in cateracts and corneal ulcerations. lesions of intestinal lining, dermatitis and cracking of skin, and one type of anemia.

I wonder if the epidemic of cataracts could possibly be caused by a lack of B2 in American diets. Most of the people i know have had or do have cataracts.

Midland City, AL

More people do seem to be getting cataracts at a younger age.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Better get some more vitamins posted.

Vitamin B3 - Niacin
Used in Nervous system, fat metabolism,Inhibits production of cholestrol,
Sources include-yeast,meats,liver,fish,whole grains,peas,beans,and nuts.
deficiency
Causes Pellagra,diarreah,psychological disturbances.and dermatitis.

Biotin-Used in energy and amino acid metabolism, Fat and glycogen synthasis

sources- Widespread in foods. Especially in egg yolk, liver, yeast and kidneys.

Deficiency causes-Mental depression,muscular pains, dermatitis,fatigue and nausia.

Pantothenic Acid- Supports energy metabolism.
sources-liver, kidney, yeast,cereal, green vegetables,

Experimental defiency tests indicates fatigue,muscle spasms,neuro muscular degeneration, and insufficient production of adrenal steroid harmones.

I love liver, kidneys i don't touch! YUCK! I never thought about yeast having so many vitamns. Maybe i ought to take DD's advice and springle brewers yeast on popcorn. She says it's good.

B3 is a good example of why it is best to take vitamin supplements and medications at different times. I know that can be a pain, but B3 and some other vitamins do interact with meds.

B3 supplements lessen the effectiveness of antibiotics like tetracycline because it interferes with absorption. I think there are also some potential interactions with meds to lower cholesterol and lower blood pressure.

Not many people take B3 supplements specifically unless a doctor advices them to and a doctor will monitor that. But, many people do take B-complex supplements on their own initiative. I believe you can avoid most vitamin supplement/medication interaction problems simply by taking the vitamins and the medication at a different time of day or just make a conscious effort to get the vitamins in your food, if possible. Kay

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Also, if you are taking calcium as a supplement and trying for around 1,000 mg per day, space the two capsules some hours apart. The body does not absorb much more than 500-600 mg at a time.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hello, Yuska! I didn't know that about Ca+. I never take it the way I should anyway.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the info. I did'nt think about taking meds at different times. Think i'll try taking vitamins in the morning.
I need to get myself together and cook up some green vitamins. I've been lazy this week.

Thanks, Yuska. I've hit an age where bone thinning is a concern. The doctor suggested a calcium supplement, but it doesn't seem to do much. Maybe, I'm taking it wrong.

Cando,cooking liver and onions with spinach on the side was Jim's solution for his god-daughter's chronic iron deficiency. He said he could see when her iron was low by her skin tone. Getting her to remember her iron supplement was a problem. Getting her to eat liver and onions wasn't. At least, when Jim cooked it. There are evidently tricks to cooking good liver and onions I don't know. *Kay*

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

MMMMM! Nobody I know except me likes liver and onions. A little bacon on the side naybe?

Midland City, AL

Nadine had that delicate rosy skin you see sometimes in people descended of highland Scotts. When her skin lost that pink glow it was as certain as a blood test, her iron was too low.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I love liver and onions. I love just plain liver, so there is no excuse for me not to eat it except being too lazy to cook it. Anther reason to eat it is it's a cheap meal. Just throw in a salad and baked potato. Am going to have to look and see if there is a liver soup. Will post it here if i find a receipe. LOL
Vickie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I am Scottish and have never had a rosy glow. :( I need a trip to the Caribbean! I must be a Lowland Scot.

Carrie, Nadine says to tell you all you have to do to get that rosy highland glow is eat something called Haggis. Then, she cackled like a mad woman. I don't get the joke, but she assures me you will.

Midland City, AL

I've eaten haggis. Stick with the Caribbean vacation idea!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I know what it is and I am not eating it! Sickly complexion or not. Grrrrrr.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I don't know what it is either and i wont eat any either. A trip to the Carribean sounds so nice. Come January most of us will want to go anywhere south. Since i'm French, i never have a glow anyway. And like a true frenchman i can't talk without using my hands.LOL
I didnt find a liver soup receipe but i did find a soup with liver dumplings. Anyone intrested?
Vickie

Midland City, AL

I think haggis is an inside joke among the Scotts. It seems to be something they feed to tourist to amuse themselves watching us attempt to eat it. I think it is made mostly of different organ meats. It is traditional highland fare, but no Scot I know would actually eat it anymore unless they were starving. It has been replaced by the much better tasting liver and onions. They might eat it once a year on “Robby Burns” birthday WITH copious amounts of a truly appreciated Scottish delicacy…..Scotch whiskey. I think Robert Burns wrote a famous poem about haggis. But, mostly, haggis is a privilege reserved for ….uh-uh…dumb tourist. It tastes HORRIBLE!!!

Nadine mentioned liver dumplings once. I thought she was putting me on. (Jim)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Here is info on preparing haggis. The origin of this tradition must have been based on "waste not, want not" -

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/scottish/haggis.html

Now, I know what I'm being threatened with. Thanks, Yuska.

Everyone here has such different Christmas traditions it could get chaotic around the holidays. So, we decided years ago to celebrate according to the traditions of a single person and take turns. When it's Nadine's year, she tells us, if we don't behave, we will be eating haggis and Scottish shortbread for Christmas dinner. I've been a octo-lacto vegetarian for most of my adult life, so it was a potent threat even before I knew what haggis actually was. The recipe definitely validates "the thrifty Scot" stereotype.

Hope your "puter" gets better soon, Cando. *Kay*

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have never had even one blemish since I began taking 2g of Pantothenic Acid (B5) daily. It is well known to have that effect on most people.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Did you used to have a lot? DD is battling acne (she's 15). Medicaid last year covered a lovely gel which was a combo of erythromycin and benzoyl peroxide - it had to be kept in the fridge and worked like magic. Now medicaid doesn't cover ANYTHING for acne. You can tell the rich kids from the poor kids by how many pimples they have!

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I wonder if B5 would do anything for roseacia. i'm tempted to try it. It'll go good with my vitamin D. I'm about to run out of that expensive stuff i take for it.
Vickie

Midland City, AL

I HAVE to try B5. Never thought I would be battling acne and wrinkles at the same time. *Kay*

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I hear you, Kay!!!!

Sorry, this log in/log out seacanepain/kudzu1 stuff is confusing. I will be glad when Jim has his own computer back, too. *Kay*

This message was edited Oct 22, 2009 4:17 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.